Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26163Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2013, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

That's what I was thinking, hopefully they'll make an announcement in the next few days.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th January 2013, 06:32 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Interesting. Didn't think a licensor would specify bluray releases only.
MGM have only given Shout Factory blu-ray rights to Futureworld and Rolling Thunder.
Old 4th January 2013, 06:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Perhaps they've teamed up with a company that can't afford to put anything out on Blu and are sublicensing a Blu-ray release through Arrow.

Scanbox sublicensing Halloween 3 to Arrow for a UK Blu-ray?

I cannot resist sowing the seeds. Sorry.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
/
What are people's issues with Eureka's Two Lane Backdrop?
I owned it and was puzzled by the good reviews it was getting - there was no fine detail, but instead a strange effect that looked like the film had been painted with water colours. The new Criterion Blu-ray evidently has no such problem.

As for Videodrome, it was supervised and approved by David Cronenberg so who's to say the Universal release doesn't show too much image? It's not unknown for directors wanting the frame 'tightened up' when they work on a remaster.

And as for Salo, as I said before, the BFI appears to be an extended version, the Criterion isn't cut.
Old 4th January 2013, 08:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Videodrome was supervised by the cinematographer and only approved by Cronenberg, which is very different but I'm in agreement that it could well be correct and the Universal is opened out, unless Cronenberg comes out and says otherwise. Plus of course it's unrated.
Old 5th January 2013, 12:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I wondered who Criterion7 was, that it was a new member I hadn't welcomed yet
Good choice, even though I don't own any of their output, I'm aware of how good it is so I doubt you'll have to change username again
Wasn't so much based on the company as it was on one of my favorite releases from them. Criterion movies are labeled and number 7 is A Night To Remember. A personal favorite of mine.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criterion7 View Post
Wasn't so much based on the company as it was on one of my favorite releases from them. Criterion movies are labeled and number 7 is A Night To Remember. A personal favorite of mine.
That's as good a reason to choose your username as any. I'm glad Stefan helped and you were able to come up with a new moniker. For the next few weeks, it might be a good idea to put something along the lines of 'Formerly known as Arrowfan' so people get used to the change.
Old 5th January 2013, 12:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

On the plus side if some of the Q2 releases are Blu only it must mean that HD masters already exist or have been created just for these releases. Could it be Solange and Pink Flamingos on Blu Ray?
Old 5th January 2013, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
On the plus side if some of the Q2 releases are Blu only it must mean that HD masters already exist or have been created just for these releases. Could it be Solange and Pink Flamingos on Blu Ray?
I am willing to bet large monies that Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except will be one.
They've released a lot of previous Synapse titles, on blu only, and High Rising recently cut up with Scott Speigel.

Either that or Baron Blood

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th January 2013, 02:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm pretty sure one of the titles will be Baron Blood, it's odd how there seems to be a fair amount of Bava on Blu and not so much Fulci, Lenzi or Mattei and there much more 'generally known' directors. I remember having a forum discussion with Marc Morris a few years ago about Bava and how unlikely it was that many Bava titles would get released in the UK. Now we certainly have two titles coming and possibly more not only in the US but also in the UK.

I think Arrow are probably going down the route of releasing titles that have already had US releases, this does make sense as they can just license the HD master that's already been prepared and saves them having to pay for a full remastering job. We know the labs in Italy are already remastering film prints in HD for future sales so it makes sense really.

I still hope to see more Fulci and even some Mattei on Blu, imagine Conquest in HD or Zombie Creeping Flesh!

Like this? Share it using the links below!