Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

trebor8273 12th February 2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 520874)
Daemons for me.

Pretty much the entire Pertwee era is made up of solid stories though so you can't really go wrong.

Yep, plenty of stand out story's but daemons is the best of the bunch.

Susan Foreman 12th February 2017 07:01 PM

iank 12th February 2017 08:14 PM

I would say Inferno is generally considered the best Pertwee these days, though I also favour Spearhead from Space and Day of the Daleks.

Susan Foreman 13th February 2017 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is something I have never seen before - it's a poster for American release of the first Dalek film

Note how the Dalek seems to be shooting from it's sucker arm as well as its gun

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2017 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520925)
Here is something I have never seen before - it's a poster for American release of the first Dalek film

Note how the Dalek seems to be shooting from it's sucker arm as well as its gun

It takes the Dalek from the main poster and adds a new background. Good find, Susan, i've never seen it before.

I hope it's real and not a fan designed piece.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2017 10:08 AM

Pic of the Day # 31

1 Attachment(s)
The Smugglers (1966)

Not many stills exist from this story online, but this one differs slightly from one of the more well known photos.

Justin101 13th February 2017 11:16 AM

Having now finished Genesis of the Daleks i'm sad to say I'm not a fan of what many think is one of the best Who stories. There were some highlights but overall I found it a bit of a chore to get through, unlike Earthshock which I enjoyed 100%.
I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like, I liked Harry and I liked Sarah Jane, I wasn't a huge fan of Tom Baker (yes, I know...)
The story was definitely too long, nothing happened in the middle episodes while all of the big questions and decisions where left until the final episode!

I don't feel like I should give up though, perhaps the Tom Baker period isn't for me. I'm even considering checking out David Tennant, I'm not a fan of his acting in general but maybe he's a good fit as The Doctor? He seems to have a lot of fans.

mr 420 13th February 2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 520881)

That line never gets boring.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 520942)
Having now finished Genesis of the Daleks i'm sad to say I'm not a fan of what many think is one of the best Who stories. There were some highlights but overall I found it a bit of a chore to get through, unlike Earthshock which I enjoyed 100%.
I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like, I liked Harry and I liked Sarah Jane, I wasn't a huge fan of Tom Baker (yes, I know...)
The story was definitely too long, nothing happened in the middle episodes while all of the big questions and decisions where left until the final episode!

I don't feel like I should give up though, perhaps the Tom Baker period isn't for me. I'm even considering checking out David Tennant, I'm not a fan of his acting in general but maybe he's a good fit as The Doctor? He seems to have a lot of fans.

Stick with Davison stories perhaps.

Try The Visitation, Kinda, Frontios or Resurrection of the Daleks.

Tennant was a great Doctor and as you suggest the most popular of the revived series. You'd need to buy it in seasons though, although they did release them at three episodes at a time in those days and i expect they can be picked up for the price of postage.

If you've any questions feel free to ask and we'll be as helpful as possible.

Susan Foreman 13th February 2017 12:37 PM

It's almost impossible to believe that this was once put out as a double feature in America

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...10&oe=58FE3446