Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13872Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd April 2020, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the original and 2013 versions of Cosmos.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:21 AM
Cult Acolyte

SHARPE'S RIFLES (1993)

1809. The Duke Of Wellington is saved from the French Cavalry by Sergeant Richard Sharpe of the 95th Rifles.
The Duke rewards Sharpe to lieutenant and he is put in charge of a ragtag group of riflemen. The group have an instant dislike to Sharpe but soon the rifles are sent on a secret and dangerous mission.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

SHARPE'S RIFLES (1993)

1809. The Duke Of Wellington is saved from the French Cavalry by Sergeant Richard Sharpe of the 95th Rifles.
The Duke rewards Sharpe to lieutenant and he is put in charge of a ragtag group of riflemen. The group have an instant dislike to Sharpe but soon the rifles are sent on a secret and dangerous mission.
I thought i might do a Sharpe run through this lockdown. Classic adventures, all movie length, with great casts.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:30 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Mad Death (1983)

My first and only viewing of this was when it initially aired on BBC1 back in 1983. Now thanks to Simply Media i am able to own and watch it on dvd.

In April 2020 The Mad Death remains terrifying, but for different reasons than it did back in the day.
This sounds really good and I want to try it out

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd April 2020, 12:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This sounds really good and I want to try it out
Since i originally posted i've watched it again.

And loved it both times.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 23rd April 2020, 03:38 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Since i originally posted i've watched it again.

And loved it both times.
It's nearly £14 on amazon so I'll keep my eye on it and see if the price comes down a bit

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd April 2020, 03:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's nearly £14 on amazon so I'll keep my eye on it and see if the price comes down a bit
I paid £12.99.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

SHARPE'S EAGLE (1993)

1809. Sharpe and the riflemen accompany the arrogant Sir Henry Simmerson and the South Essex Regiment to blow up a bridge to stop the French.
Simmerson's incompetence at the bridge causes many deaths for the South Essex and the loss of the Kings colours to the French. Sharpe's friend Major Lennox is critically injured but before he dies he asks Sharpe to capture a French Eagle standard. Sharpe is promoted to Captain after the battle.
Old 24th April 2020, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science, first 3 episodes. This mid 2000s Aussie kids/teen sci-fi show is about two teenagers, Toby and Elizabeth, who are involved in some sort of freak accident that turns them both into super-geniuses. And while Toby is decidedly wary of his new abilities, Elizabeth is more than happy with them.
I freely confess (cough) that the reason I started watching this in the first place is that Elizabeth was of course played by the lovely Bridget Neval, best known as the lovely Lana in Neighbours. Not that I was or am in any way sweet on her or anything. No sirree. Not me. Perish the thought.

It's still pretty good, if flawed at times. Sometimes it's a bit too kiddy - mainly in the first episode so far with that woeful mid2000s TV budget CGI dinosaur - but the characters, particularly Elizabeth, are quite compelling, and a lot is somewhat different to how I remembered.
I'm appalled at how badly Elizabeth is treated, and it's unsurprising she starts lashing out when given the ability and confidence. Pre-accident Elizabeth is painful to watch, so painfully introverted and shy and socially awkward, with everything from the way she dresses and carries herself - stooped posture, hunched shoulders - speaking volumes, and you can practically see her flinch at every cruel jibe or casual dismissal. Particularly painful is when the "hot" new girl just casually steals the seat she sits in next to Toby, who she clearly has a crush on already. "I sit next to Toby," she says uncomprehendingly, and you can see see how the brief social interaction with him that arrangement affords her, which means less than nothing to him, is probably the highlight of her week. Watching her embarrassedly stumble to find another seat, head down, is just...
Post-accident Elizabeth has more confidence, and certainly dresses better, but you can see that seething anger that must have been boiling under the surface for years at how she's been - and is still being - treated finally being given the chance to be expressed. Yet she's painted as the bad guy.
As for the other characters, Toby is generally likeable enough, and is at least depicted as initially being indifferent to Elizabeth (and also perhaps embarrassed by her obvious crush) rather than outright nasty, but his friends are absolutely awful, constantly belittling, insulting and provoking her, and then getting all huffy and offended if she hits back. I really didn't remember hating Dinah so much, but she is an absolute bitch to Elizabeth, even pre-accident Elizabeth, from moment one, for absolutely no reason. I don't blame Elizabeth for fricking despising her.
The most uncomfortable thing is it's really unclear whether the show even realises how terrible they all really are to her or not. This certainly shifts later on, especially in the second season when Toby actually starts to care about Elizabeth and their relationship verges on even being romantic, albeit with him still wary of her abilities, but at this point it's deeply uncomfortable to see the way even the supposed "good guys" treat her, and then act she's like crazy or evil for being angry about it.
I'm kinda hooked, though. Which may even be the point after all.

Last edited by iank; 24th April 2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 24th April 2020, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Episode 10 of season 7 of clone wars.

Phantom Apprentice.

Another fantastic episode mainly featuring Maul and Ahsoka and once again setting up future events and Now taking place in the events of revenge of the Sith. Also easily has the best lightsaber duel.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!