LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2024, 09:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was a little bit 'meh' watching the men's 100 metres race. The biggest event in the athletics calendar yet it felt like a damp squib even though it was contested amazingly by all eight runners.

I think it was because i'd never heard of any of the athletes. Not one of them was a household name. Where's the Usain Bolt's, Carl Lewis, Linford Christie, Justin Gatlin's of the 100m world?

I've no doubt the runners are all well known among athletics fans but they haven't broken out of that circle to become household names.
I completely forgot it was the men's 100m race today so, usually for me, I didn't watch it.

Like you, I'm unfamiliar with the elite sprinters so, without looking, couldn't name any of the main contenders.

Going back to Dad's Army for a minute, I was pleased to find it educational, learning from Lance Corporal Jones that khaki comes from the Urdu word meaning dust coloured.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 11th August 2024, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Paris 2024 closing ceremony was extremely pretentious and dull until the Olympic flag hand over when Ethan Hunt abseiled down from the stadium roof took the flag off LA's mayor got on a motorbike and rode out of the Stade de France as the Red Hot Chili Peppers accompanied him to Los Angeles.

Followed by an already recorded sequence where he skydives from a plane onto the Hollywood sign.

Then we got a quick musical extravaganza from Venice Beach with the Chili Peppers, Billie Eilish and Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre.

What Daniel Craig did in movie form for London 2012, Tom Cruise does in real life for Paris 2024.
Old 13th August 2024, 11:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Freddy's Nightmares.

Episode 1: No More Mr Nice Guy.
Mass murderer Freddy Krueger is on trial and after on a technicality he is released. Lt. Blocker who originally arrested Krueger tries to protect his twin daughters Lisa and Merit who almost became a victim tries to stop a vigilante mob becomes a vigilante himself.
(starring Robert Englund, Gry and Hilli Park, Anne Curry, Ian Patrick Williams, Director Tobe Hooper)

Episode 2: it's A Miserable Life.
Freddy goes after Bryan who is in a dead end job working in a burger bar that's owned by his father.
(Starring Robert Englund, Lar Park-Lincoln, John Cameron Mitchell, Annie O' Donnell. Director Tom McLoughlin)

Episode 3: Killer Instinct.
Chris who is a high school student and runner tries to match up with her late mother, is given a amulet that lets her be the best at everything and gets revenge on those who wronged her.
(Starring Robert Englund, Lori Petty, Yvette Napier, Lee Kessler. Director Mick Garris)

Episode 4: Freddy's Tricks and Treats.
A medical student is tormented to the brink of madness by Freddy on Halloween.
(Starring Robert Englund, Mariska Hargitay, Darren Dalton. Daniel McDonald, Director Ken Weiderhorn.

Started watching these and only ever seen a few episodes on the good ole VHS tapes but didn't realise there was over 40 episodes. The pilot does focus on the trial of Krueger and the lynch mob that went after him to the boiler room and his return from the grave. The second episode isn't the best, but at least Robert Englund did return for the series.
Old 14th August 2024, 08:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've recently begun watching the sixth season of Dad's Army. It begins with one of the most famous episodes, with Manwaring's home guard platoon charged with guarding a captured U-boat crew overnight, only to find the captain is a wily customer resorting to mind games against his captors.

After watching so many episodes, I've been surprised by how infrequent some of the catchphrases ("you stupid boy," "We're doomed," "Don't panic!") are used, often only once every two or three episodes, and how many are set outside the church hall, using such locations as the bank, the church tower, or somewhere around the coastal town, such as the beach or pier.

I forgot to mention that, before Dad's Army, I watched the Porridge box set, which includes all three series and the Christmas specials. It is a superb sitcom, a cleverly written take on prison life, which doesn't feel too far removed from real life in one of the UK's medium security prisons during the 1970s.

Ronnie Barker and Richard Beckinsale are wonderful as Fletcher and Godber, the two main inmates: Fletcher is the recidivist old lag and Godber is a relatively na?ve newbie, doing 'porridge' for the first time. Away from them, Fulton Mackay is a brilliant antagonist as the no-nonsense warder Mr Mackay, whose spiky relationship with Fletcher is a source of much humour, and Brian Wilde (known to many as Last of the Summer Wine's Foggy); his portrayal of the good-natured and kindly Mr Barraclough is perfect and a great contrast to Mr Mackay's authoritarianism.

As with most of the great British sitcoms, from Blackadder to Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister to The Office, it' relative brevity is why it is so good, and one of the reasons why I feel Only Fools and Horses is a second-tier show: there are too many forgettable episodes. With only 21 episodes (and a couple of specials), it is always tightly scripted and the character arcs feel natural and tailored to a perfect and fitting ending.

Apart from that, I've nearly finished watching the second season of Interview with the Vampire, a superb TV show that I initially didn't like because I was expecting something a bit more like Neil Jordan's film (one I have enjoyed many times since watching it on video in 1995).

I watched the first season twice, enjoying it much more on the second watch than the first, loving the central performances, design, and writing, and I think the second season is even better. Even though Claudio was recast because of unforeseen circumstances, it doesn't make any difference to one of the finest TV shows I've seen long time.

Old 15th August 2024, 09:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Freddy's Nightmares. (cont).

Episode 5: Judy Miller, Come On Down.
Housewife Judy constantly watches game shows and enters competitions, she gets the chance to go on one and every question she gets right something happens to her loved ones. When she wins to the top prize, she is given the chance to keep the money or her husband dies.
(Robert Englund, Siobhan McCafferty, John DeMita, Susan Oliver, Larry Anderson. Director Tom DeSimone

Episode 6: Saturday Night Special.
Greg meets a girl and lies to her about his life only for her to be everything he has lied about and he must die. When the dates roomate wants to get ahead in work, she goes to a beauty therapist which results in her downfall.
(starring Robert Englund, Shari Shattuck, Scott Burkholder, Molly Cleator, Director Lisa Gottlieb)

Episode 7: Sister Keepers.
Lisa and Merit from No More Mr Nice Guy return, Merit is convinced Freddy has returned from the grave and into her dreams, both sisters link up in the dream world to stop Freddy once and for all.
(starring Robert Englund, Gry and Hili Park, Anne Curry, Josh Coxx, Director Ken Wiederhorn.

Episode 8: Mother's Day.
Billy's mother has remarried to a bad tempered man, when they go away on honeymoon Billy throws a house party when they move to Springwood. Billy meets Barbara who's mother is a radio psychologist who will do anything for ratings.
(starring Robert Englund, Elizabeth Savage, Jill Whitlow, Bryon Thames, Director Michael Lange.

Episode 9: Rebel Without A Car.
Alex wants to leave town, Connie wants to join a sorority, both which will lead to a bad downfall.
(starring Robert Englund, Katie Barberi, Craig Hurley, Denise Loveday, Diana Barrows. Director John Lafia.

These are getting better as the series goes along with Freddy making more of a appearance in Sister Keepers rather than appearing at the start and the end of the programme with some good quirks.
Old 15th August 2024, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Freddy's Nightmares. (cont).

Episode 5: Judy Miller, Come On Down.
Housewife Judy constantly watches game shows and enters competitions, she gets the chance to go on one and every question she gets right something happens to her loved ones. When she wins to the top prize, she is given the chance to keep the money or her husband dies.
(Robert Englund, Siobhan McCafferty, John DeMita, Susan Oliver, Larry Anderson. Director Tom DeSimone

Episode 6: Saturday Night Special.
Greg meets a girl and lies to her about his life only for her to be everything he has lied about and he must die. When the dates roomate wants to get ahead in work, she goes to a beauty therapist which results in her downfall.
(starring Robert Englund, Shari Shattuck, Scott Burkholder, Molly Cleator, Director Lisa Gottlieb)

Episode 7: Sister Keepers.
Lisa and Merit from No More Mr Nice Guy return, Merit is convinced Freddy has returned from the grave and into her dreams, both sisters link up in the dream world to stop Freddy once and for all.
(starring Robert Englund, Gry and Hili Park, Anne Curry, Josh Coxx, Director Ken Wiederhorn.

Episode 8: Mother's Day.
Billy's mother has remarried to a bad tempered man, when they go away on honeymoon Billy throws a house party when they move to Springwood. Billy meets Barbara who's mother is a radio psychologist who will do anything for ratings.
(starring Robert Englund, Elizabeth Savage, Jill Whitlow, Bryon Thames, Director Michael Lange.

Episode 9: Rebel Without A Car.
Alex wants to leave town, Connie wants to join a sorority, both which will lead to a bad downfall.
(starring Robert Englund, Katie Barberi, Craig Hurley, Denise Loveday, Diana Barrows. Director John Lafia.

These are getting better as the series goes along with Freddy making more of a appearance in Sister Keepers rather than appearing at the start and the end of the programme with some good quirks.
Freddie's Nightmares needs a UK release
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 22nd August 2024, 09:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Freddy's Nightmares. (Cont)

Episode 10: The Bride Wore Red.
A groom gets a lesson in monogamy from a stripper while the bride goes out and busts married men after her father cheated on her mother.
(Starring Robert Englund, Diane Franklin, Eddie Driscoll, Katherine Moffat. Director George Kaczender.

Episode 11: Do Dreams Bleed?
A young footballer begins to have dreams of a serial killer and his girlfriend begins to have the same nightmares and try to uncover who the killer is.
(Starring Robert Englund, Damon Martin. Sarah Buxton, Jeff McCarthy. Director Dwight H. Little.

Episode 12: The End Of The World.
A young oman finds the ability to use her dreams to change her past and the C.I.A want to use her to stop a nuclear disaster.
(Starring Robert Englund, Mary Kohnert, George Lazenby, Andrew Prine. Director Jonathan Betuel.

Episode 13: Deadline.
A newspaper editor is given a lifeline to bounce back and sees a headline that he committed suicide and tries to change the outcome.
(Starring Robert Englund, Kimiko Gelman, Aaron Harnick, Timothy Brantley. Director Michael Lange.

Episode 14: Black Tickets.
A young couple looking to elope find themselves in Springwood and cannot escape.
(Starring Robert Englund, Bradd Pitt, Kerry Wall, Karen Hensel. Director George Kaczender.

Episode 15: School Daze.
A student at Springwood High is summoned to the principal's office and begins to have nightmares that may uncover a school secret.
(Starring Robert Englund, Billy Morrissette, Andrew Kraus, James Harper. Director Michael Klein.

After having a few tech difficulties with the WI-Fi i'm back watching these and some people think they can act but can't do anything but still entertaining to a degree.
Old 22nd August 2024, 10:39 PM
Cultist

I know that this as nothing to do with tv shows but I am watching psycho on bbc4 but its a shame that its the R-rated cut version and not the original uncut theatrical version.
Old 26th August 2024, 10:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Freddy's Nightmares.(Cont)

Episode 16: Cabin Fever.
An airline heir finds himself on a plane ride from hell, while the stewardess who meets a passenger that may not be all he seems.
Starring Robert Englund, Brett Cullen, Lezlie Deane, Ted Demers. Director Robert Englund.

Episode 17: Love Stinks.
Young Adam is coerced into having a one night stand with a girl who wants something more while his friend Max is forced to work in a pizzeria with his over bearing Uncle.
Starring Robert Englund, Jeffrey Combs, George Olden, John Washington, Susanna Savee. Director John Lafia.

Episode 18: The Art Of Death.
A young tormented artist is shocked when his creation comes to life and does his bidding, while a claustrophobic is being tormented.
Starring Robert Englund, Laura Schaefer, Judd Oman, Carey Scott. Director Ken Wiederhon.

Episode 19: Missing Persons.
A college student who was obese goes back home and babysits two children who love junk food and a man who wishes to be someone else regrets his wish.
Starring Robert Englund, Timothy Bottoms, Eva LaRue, Nancy Linari, David Dunard. Director Jeff Freilich.

Episode 20: The Light At The End Of The Tunnel.
A man with a fear of the dark accepts a job in the sewers of SPringwood and a video shop worker begins to suffer nightmares.
Starring Robert Englund, Steven Keats, David Arnott, Dick Miller, Dana Stevens.

Episode 21: Identity Crisis.
A man struggles with his age on his birthday and believes his son may kill him and a daughter confronts her mother about being adopted.
Starring Robert Englund, Jeff Conaway, Gabriel Jarret, Kimberly Kates.

Episode 22: Safe Sex.
Two teens lust after a goth girl who is obssessed with Freddy Krueger.
Starring Robert Englund, Devon Pierce, Patrick Day, Andrew Woodworth.

That's season 1 finished, will start season 2 when I'm able to get the full episodes available, this was a better selection than the previous watch.
Old 27th August 2024, 11:07 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Apart from that, I've nearly finished watching the second season of Interview with the Vampire, a superb TV show that I initially didn't like because I was expecting something a bit more like Neil Jordan's film (one I have enjoyed many times since watching it on video in 1995).

I watched the first season twice, enjoying it much more on the second watch than the first, loving the central performances, design, and writing, and I think the second season is even better. Even though Claudio was recast because of unforeseen circumstances, it doesn't make any difference to one of the finest TV shows I've seen long time.

I too recently finished watching Interview with the Vampire, it was very good indeed. I'm embarrassed to say that it took me longer than it should have done for me to realise the the guy playing Louis was Grey Worm

Since the ident at the start of the show says 'Immortal Universe' I'm hoping that there will be a following series of the other Anne Rice books, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!