LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2024, 03:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
HMV have added a lot of StudioCanal Vintage and Cult Classics to their 2 for ?15 Blu-ray offer. These are replacing the Premium Collection titles.

Films include The Wicker Man, Fright, Peeping Tom, The Silent Enemy, The Three Musketeers, The Antichrist, Horrors of the Black Museum, Extreme Prejudice...

https://hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu-ra...NjA4Ny4wLjAuMA..
Although I haven't seen them, I'm tempted by the Short Sharp Shocks sets. With something else, they would effectively be 7.50 for each volume of short films.
Old 30th July 2024, 03:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Although I haven't seen them, I'm tempted by the Short Sharp Shocks sets. With something else, they would effectively be 7.50 for each volume of short films.
If you've got The Appointment Blu then you've got the best film -The Lake - from volume one (Plus all the relevant extras)

I've said before i thought that first volume was poor (Other than The Lake) so got rid of it. I'm not even tempted by the other two releases.
Old 31st July 2024, 06:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Nos, I think it comes down to if you are a collector of vintage British horror or not? If you are then they are essential because they are rarities that you would have had no chance to own except for the good people at the BFI being so committed to British film history.

However, even if you are not a collector but have some interest in the history of British horror, I still think they are worth getting at those prices because you will be able to watch them and get enough back on ebay that the overall cost would be little more than an old fashioned rental.
Old 31st July 2024, 10:15 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks to both of you for the information about those films.

I don't have The Appointment and haven't seen The Lake but, as not Rob would call a "collector of vintage British horror", I'll probably leave those box sets and buy things I'm likely to watch more frequently.

Old 31st July 2024, 12:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for the information about those films.

I don't have The Appointment and haven't seen The Lake but, as not Rob would call a "collector of vintage British horror", I'll probably leave those box sets and buy things I'm likely to watch more frequently.

The Appointment is excellent by the way, as is Symptoms and Psychomania if you don't have them.

All three are well worth owning.
Old 31st July 2024, 08:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Appointment is excellent by the way, as is Symptoms and Psychomania if you don't have them.

All three are well worth owning.
Although I don't have any of them, I do have the R1 Severin DVD of Psychomania; they are now in my basket and on the list for when I'm in the store next.
Old 3rd August 2024, 12:26 PM
Active Cultist

Severin UK Summer Sale
Old 9th August 2024, 04:57 PM
Cult Addict

There's currently a sale in HMV. Seems to be half price. In store things are simply labelled at sale price. Online there's a code. Proper mixture of genres and labels. Number of BFI and 101 titles I spotted.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
g053584398 likes this.
Old 20th August 2024, 11:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm intrigued to see all three volumes of Short Sharp Shocks included. That's a heck of a bargain given they're normally ?20 each. I recall your review of the first one being particularly unenthused Dem. Are they really that bad? Not even warranting ?7.50 each? I have The Lake on The Appointment, the one short I seem to recall you found really worthwhile on the first volume.
I have to say, I find the eclectic mix of films in these sets fascinating.
There are a few duds in there ( I have no idea why something like Maze was included in Vol 3 - there are no horror elements in it at all ) It would have been better as an extra on something else.

Fab Press? book Ten Years Of Terror has a list of short films that would be perfect for these collections, though I guess there are rights issues etc involved.

I?d still rather have another collection of these than Vincent Price making some pancakes. Or whatever.
g053584398 and Rob4 like this.
Old 23rd August 2024, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers is $7.49 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invasion-of...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I can vouch for this being a great release from the BFI. I prefer it to the seventies remake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81BeQentpnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (93.9 KB, 8 views)
g053584398, J Harker and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!