Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2013, 02:36 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yeah, I think I'll keep the steelie on order and hang on to the old DVDs for the theatrical and director's cut.

And, probably due to my lack of observational powers, I'll watch the Final Cut and won't be able to tell you what's different anyway.
Old 8th October 2013, 04:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've had the review discs for about a week now and have watched all three versions of the film and the 'Final Cut' (Abraxas Cut) is probably the best, containing enough of the extra material from the director's cut whilst maintaining the impressive pacing and visual quality from the theatrical cut. In future, I think it will be the only one I watch.
That's the impression I have from reading about the different cuts, the DC basically has unnecessary footage that the director is quite happy to agree doesn't need to be there, so I'm keeping my pre-order of the steelbook as I only want to watch the Final Cut anyway, can't be doing with the DC switching to poor quality footage throughout. If it doesn't include the Kermode documentary I'll be disappointed, but I don't fancy paying at least £5 extra for that.
Old 8th October 2013, 05:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
That's the impression I have from reading about the different cuts, the DC basically has unnecessary footage that the director is quite happy to agree doesn't need to be there, so I'm keeping my pre-order of the steelbook as I only want to watch the Final Cut anyway, can't be doing with the DC switching to poor quality footage throughout. If it doesn't include the Kermode documentary I'll be disappointed, but I don't fancy paying at least £5 extra for that.
The restored extra footage on the Abraxas/Final Cut is the same quality as the rest of the film so, unless you have seen the film loads of times, you won't be able to tell what footage is what.

The Mark Kermode documentary (and all the other extra features) is on disc one, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Vipp likes this.
Old 8th October 2013, 06:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The restored extra footage on the Abraxas/Final Cut is the same quality as the rest of the film so, unless you have seen the film loads of times, you won't be able to tell what footage is what.

The Mark Kermode documentary (and all the other extra features) is on disc one, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I know, I said DC. I used to own the DC on DVD but promptly sold it as I didn't like the footage changing quality, just like I don't like films changing language mid-film e.g. Deep Red and Phenomena. So I shall enjoy the Final Cut the most.

As for the extras, I'm not sure that's the case, hopefully though...
Old 8th October 2013, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I don't own a great copy on dvd, i had the double disc box set but it was over used so i sold it. now i have a VHS and look forward to the Final Cut blu ray set. i must admit, it would be nice to own the soundtrack.
Old 8th October 2013, 07:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Hmmmm....decisions, decisions. Do I keep the steelbook on order or cancel and go with the 3-disc set? The Zavvi site seems a bit vague as to what exactly will be included in the steelbook set...I may cancel only to find out it does contain everything...

**** it Dae-when on Summerisle do as Summerislanders do-order them both!
I've kept the steely on order and will be heading to HMV for the other....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th October 2013, 07:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I don't own a great copy on dvd, i had the double disc box set but it was over used so i sold it. now i have a VHS and look forward to the Final Cut blu ray set. i must admit, it would be nice to own the soundtrack.
What????
Vipp likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th October 2013, 07:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Yeah, I think I'll keep the steelie on order and hang on to the old DVDs for the theatrical and director's cut.

And, probably due to my lack of observational powers, I'll watch the Final Cut and won't be able to tell you what's different anyway.
Accoprding to Zavvi on the steely Dae.....

Blu-Ray Special Features:

The Final Cut
The Director's Cut with Commentary
The UK Theatrical Cut

Old 8th October 2013, 07:39 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default ON THE TRAIL OF THE WICKER MAN (Robin Hardy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Accoprding to Zavvi on the steely Dae.....

The Final Cut
The UK Theatrical Cut
Yeah the steelbook doesn't include the 3rd disc (CD soundtrack).

The Final Cut
The UK Theatrical Cut

DVD Special Features:
The Final Cut
Interview with Robin Hardy
Featurettes:
Inspired by The Wicker Man (Famous Fans)
The Music of The Wicker Man
The Restoration of The Wicker Man
Old 8th October 2013, 08:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good -so we do get the three cuts on the Blu Ray then?
And in hi-def?

Like this? Share it using the links below!