Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2013, 08:03 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Good -so we do get the three cuts on the Blu Ray then?
And in hi-def?

Looks that way.
Vipp likes this.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Good -so we do get the three cuts on the Blu Ray then?
And in hi-def?

I read that they were unable to get the films to seamlessly branch, so disc 1 only has the Final Cut on it... we shall have to see.
Old 9th October 2013, 12:34 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Hmmm....yeah, let's wait and see. I already own the soundtrack CD, so that's not a must for me. If the steelie only has the Final Cut on it, then I may well double dip on the 3 disc set down the road when the price comes down a bit more.
Old 9th October 2013, 07:48 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
I read that they were unable to get the films to seamlessly branch, so disc 1 only has the Final Cut on it... we shall have to see.
That is how it works out, with the Final Cut on disc one and the theatrical and director's cut on disc two.
Old 9th October 2013, 11:01 AM
Cult Acolyte

I watched 'The Final Cut' at the cinema last night.

For me, at the cinema at least,the directors cut material in the print was noticable. Although a massive quality jump from from previous releases and they do look very good,there was still a difference in the picture. Maybe it's because I have seen this film countless times that I noticed? I don't think so, I think anyone would notice the shift in quality.
This is basically the theatrical cut with a couple of scenes from the directors cut. All the scenes at the police station have been cut with only the scenes of Howie taking communion present. The film runs as the theatrical cut until the 'Gently Johnny' song and Willow telling Howie the way to the school. The film is then the theatrical cut until the end which means the 'Willow song' is cut down in length. The title screen giving thanks to Lord Summerisle is now missing and is replaced by the face of 'The Barley Man'.

Awesome film and restoration, but I really wish it had been the directors cut that had been restored to this quality.
Vipp likes this.
Old 9th October 2013, 01:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I watched 'The Final Cut' at the cinema last night.

For me, at the cinema at least,the directors cut material in the print was noticable. Although a massive quality jump from from previous releases and they do look very good,there was still a difference in the picture. Maybe it's because I have seen this film countless times that I noticed? I don't think so, I think anyone would notice the shift in quality.
This is basically the theatrical cut with a couple of scenes from the directors cut. All the scenes at the police station have been cut with only the scenes of Howie taking communion present. The film runs as the theatrical cut until the 'Gently Johnny' song and Willow telling Howie the way to the school. The film is then the theatrical cut until the end which means the 'Willow song' is cut down in length. The title screen giving thanks to Lord Summerisle is now missing and is replaced by the face of 'The Barley Man'.

Awesome film and restoration, but I really wish it had been the directors cut that had been restored to this quality.
I'm surprised there's any variation in quality as I thought it was just one print (the Abraxas cut).
Old 9th October 2013, 03:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
I'm surprised there's any variation in quality as I thought it was just one print (the Abraxas cut).
That was my impression when I saw it about a week ago, but I'm going to watch it again tonight before writing my review.

Also, I've just had a dispatch e-mail from Zavvi to let me know the steelbook has been sent.
Vipp likes this.
Old 9th October 2013, 03:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

This from Optimum press release.

Quote:
THE NEW RESTORATION by STUDIOCANAL UK at Deluxe Restoration
In 2013 following an extensive search for original materials, STUDIOCANAL tracked down a US release print
of The Wicker Man – the so-called Abraxas US Theatrical Release Cut aka the Middle Version. The print was
discovered in the Harvard Film Archive, and scanned there in 4k before being sent to the UK and the labs
of Deluxe Restoration. Consultation with Robin Hardy confirmed that this was the cut that he himself had put
together along with Abraxas for their 1979 release, and is the version that did so well in the US and effectively
was responsible for the film achieving its current cult status and huge fan base. The Final Cut was put together
by restoring the original negative of the 1973 UK Theatrical Cut and inserting all the extra scenes from the
Abraxas cut, restored to be as close to the quality and look of the restored original negative as possible, given
the age and state of the Harvard print.
Robin Hardy gave his approval for this The Final Cut, as he doesn’t
think that the original 102 minute cut will ever be found and believes that this Final Cut is The Wicker Man as
he originally intended it.
Old 9th October 2013, 05:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
This from Optimum press release.
Ahh I see, I think I'd have preferred it if they'd just remastered the Abraxas print.
Old 9th October 2013, 09:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Guys, can i have some help here, as well as being a little unwell presently i am not able to keep up with the recent and very interesting debates concerning the differences in Final Cut Blu Ray releases.

Which box set will be the best to get for longevity? i love the film and also would like the sound track but really what i want is a replacement for my Box set that i sold to upgrade to Blu-Ray.

another thing, can i assume from Daveboys cinema visit review of the Final Cut (which i missed a few nights ago and will kick myself for ever) i assume the Final Cut leaves a little to be desired?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs - when you say 'write my review' where can i find this? i assume right here on Cult Labs? i would like to read that if you can make me aware of it?

Thank you guys for helping me on this, i love this film, i think i would argue that it is actually one of the best films ever made so knowing which Blu-Ray to put my money down for would help, especially as you have the knowledge that matters when making the choice.

Like this? Share it using the links below!