Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2011, 02:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
My understanding is that the choice was between the 2.0:1 aspect ratio or nothing as they didn't have the rights to the Blue Underground 2.35:1 HD master. Surely it's better to have this version than none at all?
BU blu-ray was released in the beginning of the format.
Arrow blu-ray will be released in the first stages of the massification of the format.

I believe more releases will happen in the future...

I have BU DVD and Blu-Ray, so for me, this will only be a purchase if the extras are rated high on the reviews.

I don´t if this is the case here, but have Arrow contacted BU for the use of the same master? It´s not the first time both companie work together.
Old 27th March 2011, 03:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I realise the two companies have worked together in the past but, in this case, Arrow did not have access to BU's 2.35 HD master and, as they wanted the original soundtrack and to stay in the black, the only option was to go with the 2.1.
Old 27th March 2011, 03:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I realise the two companies have worked together in the past but, in this case, Arrow did not have access to BU's 2.35 HD master and, as they wanted the original soundtrack and to stay in the black, the only option was to go with the 2.1.
So that´s explained...

Some folks at other forums contacted BU regarding a re-release of the title and Bill confirmed that BU no longer have the rights. Now, there´s an HD print with no use...
Old 27th March 2011, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Couldn't they have stayed in the black by choosing not to buy/release an aspect ratio compromised version? Would it not have been better to wait until the rights to an uncompromised print were available? As I said on the previous page, releasing this is going to attract all manner of bad press, regardless of it being the only available option now that the Blue Underground disc is out of print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
So that´s explained...

Some folks at other forums contacted BU regarding a re-release of the title and Bill confirmed that BU no longer have the rights. Now, there´s an HD print with no use...
Also, this ^

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 27th March 2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Merged because there were two posts in as many minutes
Old 27th March 2011, 03:47 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Couldn't they have stayed in the black by choosing not to buy/release an aspect ratio compromised version? Would it not have been better to wait until the rights to an uncompromised print were available? As I said on the previous page, releasing this is going to attract all manner of bad press, regardless of it being the only available option now that the Blue Underground disc is out of print.
With Blue Underground no longer having the rights and seemingly not able to get them back you have to wonder if Storaro is trying to pull that version from circulation unless people take his reframed version. So I'm guessing Arrow would have to wait until Storaro is no longer around if that were the case.
Old 27th March 2011, 03:47 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

If Blue Underground don't have the rights, that would explain why Arrow couldn't have used their print. I wonder who now does have the rights and whether they would really want to share them.
Old 27th March 2011, 03:55 PM
Active Cultist

this is a shame...arrow are going to get heavily criticised for this no matter what.
obviously it's too late to cry over it and the release will go ahead as planned but i think in future if a film isn't available in the OAR then dont bother, this kind of situation begs for massive backlash that will hurt sales and the company's reputation in general.
i will still buy it being that i can't order online imports and i've never actually seen the film, but it will be nagging away at me the whole time i'm watching it that i am seeing a compromised version, and it will nag at me until finally i can replace it with a superior print.

dear arrow, all the bells and whistles are great, but priority A numero one at all costs is get the film itself right, or don't bother. all or nothing.
Old 27th March 2011, 04:13 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
this is a shame...arrow are going to get heavily criticised for this no matter what.
obviously it's too late to cry over it and the release will go ahead as planned but i think in future if a film isn't available in the OAR then dont bother, this kind of situation begs for massive backlash that will hurt sales and the company's reputation in general.
i will still buy it being that i can't order online imports and i've never actually seen the film, but it will be nagging away at me the whole time i'm watching it that i am seeing a compromised version, and it will nag at me until finally i can replace it with a superior print.

dear arrow, all the bells and whistles are great, but priority A numero one at all costs is get the film itself right, or don't bother. all or nothing.
Honestly, if you've never seen this before try to pick up Blue Undergrounds DVD of it on ebay. It's a fantastic transfer, and I absolutely cannot picture this film being any good cropped. You gotta remember it was one of Storaro's first films, so he absolutely filled the frame and experimented with composition as any young enthusiastic artist would. He's mad to do this. I would recommend against watching it cropped personally.

I agree completely with all you said, but in this case it isn't really Arrow's fault. We can't tell how far along the process they found out that they could only get this version of it. Although I don't see many people buying this at all. It's not a title that horror fans would take a blind buy on (because it isn't horror), and those that know it would never watch it cropped.
Old 27th March 2011, 04:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Or pick up the quid version from Poundland.
Old 27th March 2011, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Poundland version is cut by 18s.
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!