Like Tree2551Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th November 2015, 02:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I'm about halfway through Pet Sematary and i have to say its probably the best Stephen King book I've read. Not that I've actually read that many. I usually find his writing a bit too long winded.
You are lucky you weren't around reading his work (or is that his wife's work) in the early 90's. Rose Madder, Gerald's Game, Insomnia etc. It was a blessed relief when he finally cranked out Desperation and The Regulators.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You are lucky you weren't around reading his work (or is that his wife's work) in the early 90's. Rose Madder, Gerald's Game, Insomnia etc. It was a blessed relief when he finally cranked out Desperation and The Regulators.
I started Geralds Game once...and Nightcatcher...
Old 13th November 2015, 03:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I started Geralds Game once...and Nightcatcher...
Do you mean Dreamcatcher?

I've not read that. Like the film though.
J Harker likes this.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
First SK novel I read when I was 11 or 12
I think the first one I read of his was Carrie when I was about 11. It became a firm favourite and I've probably read it about 10 times since, and is one of the reasons why I'm not overly-enthused by De Palma's film like a lot of people seem to be.

One of King's best in my opinion is his novella of The Running Man which he originally wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. It's in stark contrast to the cheesy Arnie film which is at best a 'loose' adaptation of the source material.

I haven't read a new King in years though... I think the latest work of his I read was Rose Madder and wasn't overly keen... which links nicely into Dem's post - it seems I may need to delve into more of his recent material (when time permits of course).
Old 13th November 2015, 03:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Do you mean Dreamcatcher?

I've not read that. Like the film though.
Yeah Dreamcatcher! Slow as arse it was. Far too much flashbacking and pissing about.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I think the first one I read of his was Carrie when I was about 11. It became a firm favourite and I've probably read it about 10 times since, and is one of the reasons why I'm not overly-enthused by De Palma's film like a lot of people seem to be.

One of King's best in my opinion is his novella of The Running Man which he originally wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. It's in stark contrast to the cheesy Arnie film which is at best a 'loose' adaptation of the source material.

I haven't read a new King in years though... I think the latest work of his I read was Rose Madder and wasn't overly keen... which links nicely into Dem's post - it seems I may need to delve into more of his recent material (when time permits of course).
I did have The Running Man as an e-book, read about half of it before my phone packed in and i lost the file.
I was enjoying it but remember it was very different to Arnie's film (which i like.)
Old 13th November 2015, 03:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Carrie is superb, absolutely wonderful. As you say it's far superior to the film, in fact De Palma doesn't even come close.

Although i've got every King book as a first edition hardback since Desperation and The Regulators i have to confess i haven't read them all, not even close, probably a third of them if i'm honest.

I haven't read a Dark Tower novel since III: The Wastelands.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'd love to read a novelization of Storm of the Century.

So come on Stephen, i know you're a member here, get cracking!
Old 13th November 2015, 03:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I did have The Running Man as an e-book, read about half of it before my phone packed in and i lost the file.
I was enjoying it but remember it was very different to Arnie's film (which i like.)
It's much darker in tone than the film which is played for action (and laughs). I'd definitely recommend finishing it if you get the chance.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 13th November 2015, 03:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Carrie is superb, absolutely wonderful. As you say it's far superior to the film, in fact De Palma doesn't even come close.

Although i've got every King book as a first edition hardback since Desperation and The Regulators i have to confess i haven't read them all, not even close, probably a third of them if i'm honest.

I haven't read a Dark Tower novel since III: The Wastelands.
I think I've read everything of his pre-Rose Madder. I don't think I've read anything from him after this though (although I could be wrong).

Like this? Share it using the links below!