Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2009, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I'm pretty surprised to see John Vernon's name in the cast.
Old 26th May 2009, 06:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I was ficking thorugh my copy of Shock! Horror! and reading that Ferman was so appalled by the Gestapos Last Orgy and refused to discuss it. And in 2003 hardgore were told it would nt pass the bbfc. I wonder what they would make of it today?
Yes I watched the film for the first time.

A rejection in 2009 would be out of the question. I think they were wary of viewing the film in 2003 as this was just after they had rejected Love Camp 7 and since Gestapo's is also an official nasty there probably didn't seem much point to them, and in any case they were much stricter then.

Looking at Gestapo's there doesn't appear to be much for them to cut, there's not much in the way of sexual violence...which is always the main concern, but there is a fair amount of sexualised violence although most of it is quite tame.

At 17m there is the 2m mass rape sequence. Perhaps the most obectionable scene in the film for me but the scene consists of numerous individual shots lasting no more than a few seconds at a time, so the camera doesn't really focus much on abusive detail constantly cutting away through out the scene. I can't see any individual shots the BBFC would object to anyway. I think it's just the scene as a whole that comes across as being highly offensive. It would be interesting to see what the BBFC would make of it but I think it would probably pass. Another thing is that the scene is shot without sound so there is no disturbing screams which would have made it worse.

As for the torture scenes later on involving the actress Daniela Poggi, personally I can't see the BBFC obecting. There's the whipping scene which is quite mild. And the scene where she is held over a container of rats (not real rats) and later a pool of quicklime. But the scenes don't inolve any real violence directly against her and I doubt the BBFC would object just because she is naked. The camera didn't focus on her nudity in the way a Franco film would have.

Pass with very minimal cuts as far as I can see.

Same with Deported Women of the SS and Reds Nights of the Gestapo.

The gunpoint rape in the latter would have to be cut here.

The Beast in Heat is much stronger.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes I agree. Gestapo stands a better chance now of passing relatively intact than ever. The story is slightly less exploitative than some (if only slightly) and the rape orgy is dated today compared to similar recent films.

The Beast In Heat would definitely still be a problem.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes I would expect Gestapo's to be cut by seconds rather than minutes.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:56 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I'd love to see a UK submission of Blood Sucking Freaks. Now that would really test the limits of the BBFC these days.
Old 27th May 2009, 06:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Check out Emanuelle in America if you ever get the chance, Vince. It will be interesting to see what you have to say in regards to its chances with the BBFC today.

I had to re-watch the film recently as the previous version I saw had no subtitles and so I didn't know what was going on.

I think it's Optimum who have the UK rights but they are reluctant to submit the film now after what happened with Confessions of Emanuelle.
Old 27th May 2009, 03:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Do you recon Jim Van Bebber's ' Deadbeat at Dawn ' would pass if it was submitted today. ?

Why was it rejected to begin with anyway .?
Old 27th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

After asking for cuts (over 2 mins) they then rejected the cut version (nunchakus, shuriken etc). Quite stupid really. I haven't seen it for ages but it wouldn't have any problems today.
Old 27th May 2009, 04:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

No doubt banned due to its "irresponsible depiction of gang violence".

Yes the uncut version would pass today very easily.
Old 28th May 2009, 06:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I'd love to see a UK submission of Blood Sucking Freaks. Now that would really test the limits of the BBFC these days.
I've had this in the to watch pile for ages.Is it really that bad?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!