Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2009, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I might watch it in a minute. I'm not sure...

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 16th November 2009, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Loops,watch NEKROMANTIK and tell us if you think it'd pass the bbfc.....
Is the wascally wabbit in Nekromantik or Nekromantik 2? It's been years since I saw them last.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Don't eat a jar of pickled onions whilst viewing......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
The lizard in Cable Hogue was already dead, its made up from parts of other lizards that where killed in the previous takes.
From A Portrait In Montage.........

Quote:
Amusingly, one of the two guys involved in the making of Cable Hogue - Gary Weis - protested when Peckinpah was about to blow up the lizard for the film's opening. Sam said he'd do the shot another way if the kid would cut off his long hair and beard. The kid said that wasn't the point, kept his hair and Sam blew up the lizard. The kid married his daughter.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Is the wascally wabbit in Nekromantik or Nekromantik 2? It's been years since I saw them last.
NEKROMANTIK.....that's all folks.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:23 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Loops,watch NEKROMANTIK and tell us if you think it'd pass the bbfc.....
After some years of experience with the BBFC's reasoning - no it wouldn't.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Not a hope in hell.
I keep a good old fashioned bar of carbollic soap for after watching films like this....

Old 16th November 2009, 10:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
From A Portrait In Montage.........
From Bloody Sam:
Unfortunately, the camera didn't see them kill the lizard the first few times. Bud Hulburd, who had blown up the bridge in the Wild Bunch, used to large a squib on the first liazrd. Even with the camera set up at high speed, so that it would be seen in slow motion, the lizard didnt explode it atomized.

Hulbrd blew up two more lizards and still did'nt ge the desired effect. Robert Visiglia collected the pieces ' i took the pieces of one of the ones that was dead and started sewing the son of a bitch together with catgut. I called the standby painter and put paint on him. We put him on the rock and blew him up' I dont know if sam knew the son of a bitch was already dead

If you pause the scene its obvious its not alive.

Old 16th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Peckinpah seemed to have a real problem with animals. He just wanted to see them suffer.

Last edited by Pete; 17th November 2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 17th November 2009, 01:37 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The subject of animal cruelty on film is always a thorny issue. People hum and ha as to whether their moral scruples will allow them to sit through it. Yet, at the same time, we seem to completely disregard the fact that our rampant consumerism is destroying the entire ****ing planet at an astonishing rate. So, whilst I agree that it's plain wrong to kill an animal for entertainment, we happily rape the planet and its envirions to further our need for consumer acquisitions. The production of plastic also produces some pretty nasty toxins, some of the most toxic in the world, in fact - but I don't see the movie lovers who despise the likes of Cannibal Holocaust boycotting DVDs because they're made of plastic. And, you know, plastic is pretty much non-biodegradable and old discs you throw away just sit in landfills. Very good for wildlife and the environment, I'm sure. Do you stop driving your car because of the exhaust fumes emitted? Or stop using aerosols? Or stop smoking? Or....the list goes on. Just because your destruction of wildlife is passive, doesn't make you any less culpable. All of us; each and every last one of us, by virtue of being a consumer, is contributing to the mass destruction of wildlife across the globe. From paper to precious metals to solid fuels, we're raping the planet violently bit-by-bit. So, whilst I dislike the animal violence in such films, I'm still guilty because I eat meat, use paper, buy non-biodegradable goods etc. We might not see the direct results of our insanely consumerist lifestyles, but they're there, nevertheless. Let's not kid ourselves, there's not one person on this forum who hasn't, in some way, contributed to the death of an animal. Whether it's for meat on your plate or that plastic bag you randomly discarded and was choked upon by some passing animal (this happens frequently, apparently) or...well, you get the picture, the list is endless. Our carelessness and thoughtfulness is just as criminal as the actions of a director like Deodato.

Now, I'm not on a soapbox here, just pointing out some things that most people prefer not to think about. But if you're going to target one form of abuse towards animals, then you have to accept the full responsibility of the many different ways animals suffer as a consequence of how we live. None of us is guiltless. But yes, it's easy to point a finger at Deodato and his ilk, whilst conveniently ignoring how damaging our way of life is on the planet and its wildlife. At least, for the most part, the animals were cooked and eaten after killing them in Holocaust. In fact, it's a clever stroke by Deodato to have Fay vomiting at the sight of the dismembered turtle, and then in the next scene she's happily scoffing down cooked turtle. That's quite an indictment of modern society - we like our meat all pre-packed and ready to cook and eat, but God forbid anyone should tell us how that meat got there! Ye Gods - they killed an animal??

Hopefully this will spark more discussion....

Last edited by Daemonia; 17th November 2009 at 02:37 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!