Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151990Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2024, 07:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

You won't regret spending hours in the company of Richard Sharpe and Pat Harper, Nos. And yes the two concerts are really good, especially the Lady Gaga one.
Old 29th July 2024, 08:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You won't regret spending hours in the company of Richard Sharpe and Pat Harper, Nos. And yes the two concerts are really good, especially the Lady Gaga one.
I know you were very impressed with the set list and the range of influences for her costumes and pyrotechnics.

Quote:
Lady Gaga - The Monster Ball Tour At Madison Square Garden

This was something truly different and unexpected as Lady Gaga performs a series of routines and songs in many weird and wonderful costumes that feel less like a concert and more like a movie in storyline and theatrics. Gaga is on brilliant form and sings superbly on early numbers that have become classics in Just Dance, Alejandro, Poker Face, Paparazzi and Bad Romance. The music a brilliant explosion of electro pop laced with hard rock guitar gives the songs great power in the live setting and the whole thing looked and sounded superb on dvd.

Throughout the show there are echoes of possible genre meshing influences from Madonna and Elton John to Kiss and even W.A.S.P. when she adorns her flaming cod piece.
What Music DVDs Have You Seen Recently?
Old 29th July 2024, 08:59 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
That dvd, like mine, is from Second Sight. Long out of print unfortunately.
Hopefully Second Sight have long since lost the license and maybe 88 can put it out at a sensible price.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 29th July 2024, 10:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

This weeks new arrivals (Or should i say this months). There's a F13th in September and i fancied watching one of those i hadn't upgraded to Blu yet so it was either this or Jason X or Jason Goes to Hell, neither of which seem easily available. As for Swept Away. I know it's crap but i always like it and it should look lovely in HD. A guilty pleasure some would say except i don't feel guilty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2079 (Large).jpg (95.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2080 (Large).jpg (95.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2081 (Large).jpg (96.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st August 2024, 05:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Three from HMV, two of them blind buys, with Blue Bayou sounding like something I'd enjoy and I added Pearl to my basket because of X and it was reduced by 5 pounds when bought with another purchase.

I watched the five-part documentary series O.J.: Made in America in 2017 and thought it was brilliant, so I look forward to seeing how this documentary feature compares.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0589.jpg (98.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 2nd August 2024, 12:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A UK dvd of the 2004 giallo Eyes of Crystal arrived. Cost seven pounds second hand. I used to own this but sold off 90% of my dvd collection over fifteen years ago to kickstart a blu-ray collection. At the time, I assumed that Eyes of Crystal would get a high definition release but no such luck. Just looked at the disc and it looks very good for a dvd. Only complaint is that it's slightly windowboxed with black borders around all sides (it's weird when that happens). So it'll look a bit smaller than it should do. Looking forward to watching with my wife on our next shared day off.
Old 2nd August 2024, 01:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
A UK dvd of the 2004 giallo Eyes of Crystal arrived. Cost seven pounds second hand. I used to own this but sold off 90% of my dvd collection over fifteen years ago to kickstart a blu-ray collection. At the time, I assumed that Eyes of Crystal would get a high definition release but no such luck. Just looked at the disc and it looks very good for a dvd. Only complaint is that it's slightly windowboxed with black borders around all sides (it's weird when that happens). So it'll look a bit smaller than it should do. Looking forward to watching with my wife on our next shared day off.
I really like Eyes of Crystal. Nice re-purchase.

Did you manage to snag a copy with the thick card outer box?
Old 2nd August 2024, 01:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Did you manage to snag a copy with the thick card outer box?
Unfortunately no. And whoever originally sold it to the ebay business had seemingly put the cover and disc into a different case (it was in one of those horrid dvd cases with a solid hub). I can't really complain as I had a spare decent dvd case and a UK Eyes of Crystal normally sells for considerably more. Luckily the disc itself was in mint condition which compensates for the packaging issues.
Old 2nd August 2024, 01:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Unfortunately no. And whoever originally sold it to the ebay business had seemingly swapped cases (it was in one of those horrid dvd cases with a solid hub). I can't really complain as I had a spare decent dvd case and a UK Eyes of Crystal normally sells for considerably more. Luckily the disc itself was in mint condition which compensates for the packaging issues!
Fair enough. Pleased it's now in an acceptable case.

I watched it again about 18 months ago and recall being impressed by the image quality of the dvd.

I felt it was one of those where it would be nice to upgrade to get a very good modern giallo in it's best possible format but equally would be happy to simply own it on dvd otherwise.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 6th August 2024, 03:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I traded a load of horror dvds into the music emporium i discovered recently. The sort of thing Cex give you 10p for at most 1p more often. There must have been about 80 in total and got these in exchange. I could have got more but i was happy enough to get rid of the dvds, and the owner was happy too saying i've got some credit in the bank next time i want something.

Nothing outstanding but i was pleased to get the long out of print remake of The Italian Job, Chalet Girl and the Shout Factory release of The Serpent and The Rainbow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2098 (Large).jpg (97.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2099 (Large).jpg (97.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2100 (Large).jpg (97.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2101 (Large).jpg (96.7 KB, 8 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!