All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151775Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2011, 01:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
The logo thing might be anti-piracy thing, most dupes are done automatically so will include the logo. In the early 90s Korean police raided a factory producing fake snes game carts. Mateys said they were legit but cops opened em up and found a major electrical companies chips inside(not Nintendo) Also logo's are free advertising, they're brainwashing you 'Pete' every time you watch you think "must get more Arrow"
I don't mean the logo at the very start of the disc, I mean when you press play and the logo appears again.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I only have 42'' LCD and I haven't had a problem with anything yet.

Certainly these things will look different on a bigger screen and whatever flaws they may have will become more apparent and I have no problem with people voicing their displeasure if they don't like it, but I find it annoying that some people are sooo obsessed with looking for flaws (and I'm talking about all blu-rays).

I know people see things differently but it gets frustrating when the minute you say something good about an Arrow release you are automatically labeled a 'kiss ass'.
You're always going to get people who go out of their way to be critical. I'm a firm believer of stating a case if something really is untoward but comments should be constructive. Arrow's had a lot of stick of late, some deserved (The Beyond, for instance) but most undeserved (as I mentioned before I was really happy with the PHENOMENA Blu-ray - a disc that has been cussed elsewhere).

I know that there are people like Michael McKenzie who get annoyed when opportunities are missed with these releases and problems creep in when they need not have but it's not a life or death situation and no one is being pressured into buying anything. You make your choice and if you want to throw caution to the wind and pre-order something before the reviews surface, it's kind of your own fault if you feel you've been stung. I pre-ordered TENEBRAE because I was never satisfied with any DVD version I've owned and I wanted to hear the Newman/Jones commentary. I was confindent that the Blu-ray would be a step up from all the shitty DVD incarnations I've owned, and judging by the five or six minutes of it I've seen, I was right.

I really try not to double dip much when it comes to HD and only replace DVDs with Blu-rays when they're films I absolutely love or there's a significant special feature(s) I want to check out.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

People have to understand however that point of Bluray is to get MUCH better PQ over DVD. If there is something as bad as digital grain then thats not very good.
If you got added unatural grain then you will loose detail and detail is what makes BU so good.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th June 2011, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
People have to understand however that point of Bluray is to get MUCH better PQ over DVD. If there is something as bad as digital grain then thats not very good.
If you got added unatural grain then you will loose detail and detail is what makes BU so good.
Yes, but I and many other people DO understand that blu-ray is to get much better picture than dvd and most people are generally satisfied by what they see. Suggesting someone doesn't understand what blu-ray is all about just because they like a certain release in insulting. TENEBRAE is much better than any dvd version I have seen. I worry about digital grain as much as I worry about when my next door neighbor is going to the toilet next.

I look upon blu-ray as a luxury that takes you away from the real problems you face in life.

Last edited by Pete; 29th June 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 29th June 2011, 03:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Yes, but I and many other people DO understand that blu-ray is to get much better picture than dvd and most people are generally satisfied by what they see. Suggesting someone doesn't understand what blu-ray is all about just because they like a certain release in insulting. TENEBRAE is much better than any dvd version I have seen. I worry about digital grain as much as I worry about when my next door neighbor is going to the toilet next.

I look upon blu-ray as a luxury that takes you away from the real problems you face in life.
well if your happy with that then fair enough
I am technical minded and notice things so

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 29th June 2011, 03:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

On the way home I picked these Blu's up from second-hand shop for £18. All in good nick and play ok. 'Godfather 2' is from the box set tho, so only commentary in way of extras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51rzMFQTKVL.jpg (48.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg l_03614092.jpg (54.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg thegodfatherpart2bluray.jpg (71.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 29th June 2011, 04:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:

Very well said Pete.

Speaking of Blu-Ray, I've just ordered these...

Old 29th June 2011, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes, but I and many other people DO understand that blu-ray is to get much better picture than dvd and most people are generally satisfied by what they see. Suggesting someone doesn't understand what blu-ray is all about just because they like a certain release in insulting. TENEBRAE is much better than any dvd version I have seen. I worry about digital grain as much as I worry about when my next door neighbor is going to the toilet next. I look upon blu-ray as a luxury that takes you away from the real problems you face in life.
Going off your location message in the top right of all your posts, then i imagine this is of real interest to you, Pete.
Old 29th June 2011, 05:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Here's a question for ya, when I put my blu of Godfather 2 on thru my 5.1 amp all I could get was po-logic2 thru digital coax, Philips player was set to lpcm. So I tried audio 1-6 thru button on remote, no luck. Then I saw it was Dolby true HD on the box(my amp only does DD or DTS). But by chance I remembered having to change output on an old dvd player to hear DTS, so I went to options on player and changed to Bitstream and POW... DD 5.1. So after all that, what do you guys set your audio out to(lpcm/bitstream) and oh yeah, think Bitsream sounds better so far(centre dialogue seems cleaner and crisper). And have you heard of this before, DD not available thru lpcm digital out.
Old 29th June 2011, 05:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Going off your location message in the top right of all your posts, then i imagine this is of real interest to you, Pete.

Forgot I had still had that down as my location!

Like this? Share it using the links below!