Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th January 2018, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Ok, watched It's A Wonderful Life and loved it! An absolute classic, involving and heartfelt. True, it's sentimental but it's purpose and message are right up there on screen. Stewart's best performance (imo), the story of how the film came to be is as remarkable as the film itself!
Laugh at how cornball it all is, but I loved it, a film that's not just for xmas!
Whilst It's a Wonderful Life is indeed a classic i wouldn't go as far as saying it's his best performance.

Vertigo, Rear Window,Harvey, Broken Arrow, The Glenn Miller Story, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Bend of the River, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Anatomy of a Murder all feature better performances from the great man.

Stewart is one of my personal favourite actors.
Old 12th January 2018, 01:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Whilst It's a Wonderful Life is indeed a classic i wouldn't go as far as saying it's his best performance.

Vertigo, Rear Window,Harvey, Broken Arrow, The Glenn Miller Story, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Bend of the River, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Anatomy of a Murder all feature better performances from the great man.

Stewart is one of my personal favourite actors.
His finest performance imho. Totally laid-back and still dominating the screen... which isn't an easy thing as Wayne and Marvin aren't exactly nose pickers either... Apart from that... Ransom "Ranse" Stoddard is one of the few credible chickenshit characters in cinema history. Maybe Ford's best film as well.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th January 2018, 08:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching Blow Up. Not seeing how it's a classic, it feels ponderous naval-gazing and just boring. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it's a classic in any sense of the word. It's been done better in Blow Out, Lizard in a Woman's Skin & Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

Sorry but no sale on this one!
Old 16th January 2018, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Will watch bridge on the river kwai this weekend,which be never fully watched , saw it as a kid when it used to be on every Xmas but as i was I kid and it was Xmas and had toys to play with so it was really just on in the background.
Old 17th January 2018, 01:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Watching Blow Up. Not seeing how it's a classic, it feels ponderous naval-gazing and just boring. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how it's a classic in any sense of the word. It's been done better in Blow Out, Lizard in a Woman's Skin & Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

Sorry but no sale on this one!
Love the bit with the Yardbirds for all that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:02 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I rewatched Rope fairly recently and it's still as gripping as ever, I love that it's filmed 'live' with very long takes. All the action taking place in one room makes it feel like watching a play which I loved
There is a lovely homage to this film in the first series of 'Psychoville'. The episode 'David And Maureen' has the same basic plot, and is also filmed in a single take

Quote:
Watching Blow Up. Not seeing how it's a classic, it feels ponderous naval-gazing and just boring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Love the bit with the Yardbirds for all that.
Antonioni originally wanted The Who for that sequence, because he loved Townsend's ritualistic smashing-of-the-guitar, but due to their touring commitments, they were unable to do it

As much I would have loved to see them during the film, The Yardbirds sequence is still essential. I think it is the only footage in existence with both Page and Beck on guitars...and it includes total instrument destruction!
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th January 2018, 05:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Singin' In The Rain- clever, funny, but more cynical than you would think! I don't like musicals and I love this, so very recommended!

Slowly getting a few classics ready, so Midnight Express, Marathon Man & Casablanca ready to go, Harvey coming in the post.

Re watched The Untouchables the other day, loved it more this time, it's tight and precise, brilliant mainstream DePalma, helps establish Costner as a modern day Gregory Peck.

Oh, and tried watching To Kill A Mockingbird, very slow (just like the book). Couldn't manage it past 50 mins.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:46 PM
Ex-member

If no one has seen Sorry,Wrong Number (1948) Starring Barbara Stanwyk and Burt Lancaster should check it out because it is a great thriller/drama.
Old 29th January 2018, 03:22 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
If no one has seen Sorry,Wrong Number (1948) Starring Barbara Stanwyk and Burt Lancaster should check it out because it is a great thriller/drama.
It's one of the best Hitchcockian thrillers that The Master didn't make
SilverSurfer likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th January 2018, 06:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Oh, and tried watching To Kill A Mockingbird, very slow (just like the book). Couldn't manage it past 50 mins.
NOOOOO!!! Aww, give it one more try.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!