Like Tree180744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:55 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Scared to ask, but was The Howling Reborn any good?
For what it was, and for who it is for, I guess it's alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"Beautiful Thing" is a great film, what did you think of it?
It wasn't too bad MTDS. Makes a change to my usual viewing habbits I probably would have liked it a lot less if it wasnt filmed back in my home town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
I've been looking to get that 'Monsters Crash The Pajama Party' DVD for a while!
It's been quite expensive everywhere I've looked.

Do you own it or just see it recently?

...Also could this possibly be a hint to this weeks 'Pick Your Own Arrowdome' comp 'cause so far I see one of the answers in this lot
I won this sweet, sweet baby! Its an awesome DVD - well worth getting, InDog. There's NOTHING else like it.

Ah, nothing gets past you eh Yep, one of those films is the answer to this week's competition. Well spoted.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
I've been looking to get that 'Monsters Crash The Pajama Party' DVD for a while!
It's been quite expensive everywhere I've looked.
It's presently going for £4.34 on Amazon UK. Well worth the money at that price.

Just watched the Nic Cage "Season of the Witch".Stuff and nonsense.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A few non horror films i have seen recently.

The Black Windmill

A Michael Caine starring film i had never heard of until buying this. A well made intricately plotted British spy thriller.

Caine's son is kidnapped and held for a ransom of diamonds. As Caines investigations take him to France he realises the heads of MI6 may well be behind the ransom demands.

The film is quite slow in its first third but picks up soon after and becomes an interesting watch. The film was directed by the legendary Don (Dirty Harry) Siegel.

Hero Wanted

A Fight Factory film that i didn't have much hope for that turned out to be a good exciting action packed watch.

Ex fireman Cuba Gooding Junior saves the life of a bank clerk during a robbery and vows to take down the gang. Ray Liotta plays against type as the detective trying to figure it all out.

Fans of Sons of Anarchy will recognise half of the bank heist gang straight away. Tommy Flanagan and Kim Coates have prominent roles throughout.

Really enjoyed this, it galloped along and the plot whilst intricate was never gobbldegook. The action was well filmed, you could actually take in what was happening without suffering from a bout of epilepsy.

At only 1p on Amazon i recommend this to action fans.

Unfortunately i can't recommend The Bounty Hunter.

Whilst just about watchable, this tale of a bail bondsman given the task of bringing his ex wife to justice should have been a lot of fun, sadly it wasn't.

Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston as the leads failed to spark up much chemistry together as the film plodded from one set piece to another. The storyline although intricate was never interesting, and the secondary characters also proved a let down.

For an action comedy with romantic twists the film never proved exciting, funny beyond a slight smile occasionally, or especially romantic.

For hardcore fans of Butler and Aniston only.

Dark Passage.

Now here's onscreen chemistry - Bogart and Bacall.

Humphrey Bogart is on the run from San Quentin, out to clear his name for the murder of his wife. Lauren Bacall gives him a lift shortly after his escape and the film escalates from there on as Bogart undertakes desperate measures in his bid to escape the cops and get to the bottom of who killed his wife.

A superb noir thriller, director Delmer Daves pulls off a coup as the viewer never see's Bogarts face for the first hour, most of the action takes place from his view point. As usual Bacall smoulders in everything she does and makes even the simplest of lines seem like a come-on.

This is the fourth time i have watched this dvd and is highly recommended.

Lebanon

Although loved by critics this film about an Israeli tank crew never grabbed me and ultimately bored me.

Its main problem is that the viewer was always in the tank with the rather unlikeable three man crew and never saw an outside view unless it was through the tanks scopes. For all i know the tank could have been painted red white and blue, the viewer had no idea.

Despite some rather gruesome scenes early on this film never engaged me and the crews constant squabbling became tiresome.

Fool's Gold.

A film panned by critics but i quite enjoyed it.

Matthew McConaughey plays a likeable modern day treasure hunter and Kate Hudson his estranged wife who together end up on Donald Sutherland and his celebrity daughter's posh private yacht in a search for sunken Spanish gold.

The film is a lively action comedy with likeable turns from both Hudson and McConaughey who have a sparky screen chemistry. The films supporting cast of Sutherland, Ray Winstone, Ewan Bremner and Alexis Dzenia add to the mix in this fun caper. The scenery is quite stunning and will look out of this world on BD.

I would say if you liked Sahara, then you could do no worse than give this a go especially as you can pick it up brand new on Amazon for around £1.60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51LuzkNGZvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (20.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 51L+UrhXEmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 51ZKuyEk+1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (24.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 51xOJeE9MHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (20.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 61O5kJw04yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (28.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 51Xi1UJ81yL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (20.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 3rd October 2011, 04:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Today I've watched:

The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh - wonderful!
Faster Pussycat. Kill! Kill! - best thing ever
Oasis of Fear - great!

Not in a reflective mood at the minute

Will have had a Shameless triple bill by the end of today with Night Train Murders.
Old 4th October 2011, 08:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I watched The Fourth Kind tonight.

Utter shit. Even Milla couldn't save this one, sadly.
Old 4th October 2011, 08:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Star Crystal yesterday. It's a weird mixture of Alien and Dark Star with less talented actors and a woeful script, but it was bizarrely enjoyable and has the most unexpected/out there ending you couldn't ever imagine.

Oh and one of the miniature's for a space station in the movie utilises the tops of the Millennium Falcon toy
Demoncrat likes this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 4th October 2011, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

I watched that a few weeks ago, having recorded it from Sky Movies. You're right, it is utter garbage from beginning to end.

It's also extremely manipulative, purporting to be true to the extent there were websites reporting the cases mentioned in the film. I'm not sure if these were taken down, but they were set up by the filmmakers/production company and no such psychiatrist ever existed in Alaska!

Today, I've seen Point Blank, not the film with Lee Marvin, but a French action thriller by the guy who directed Three Days Later and it is an extremely well paced thrill ride with fine performances.
Old 4th October 2011, 08:37 PM
Cult Addict

"I Spit On Your Grave" (remake). Started out very good but post rape it fizzled out. Sarah Butler is very impressive in it.

"Tourist Trap" Utter madness and all the better for it. Imagine Tobe Hooper's TCM and DEATH TRAP fused together with added shop dummies!
Old 4th October 2011, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

Absolutely terrible film. I remember buying it about this time last year and saving it to watch over Christmas as it seemed just up my street and might be a treat. Big mistake
Old 4th October 2011, 09:39 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Absolutely terrible film. I remember buying it about this time last year and saving it to watch over Christmas as it seemed just up my street and might be a treat. Big mistake
I borrowed it off someone at work having not really heard much about it.

I'm lending her one tomorrow... I'm thinking Franco's Devil Hunter will be a fair trade
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!