All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181816Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2011, 08:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sawdust and Tinsel - Excellent drama by Ingmar Bergman about a travelling circus and the stresses it places on everyone involved.

A Man Escaped - A prison drama/thriller set in occupied France during World War II in which a member of the French resistance who has been sentenced to death and is determined to escape, making meticulous plans. Directed with consummate skill by Robert Bresson, this (along with Sawdust and Tinsel) was one of Empire's 500 greatest movies, something I've been working my way through from while and have now reached the stage where I need to import in order to watch them all.

Thor - I have no idea how faithful this was to the comic books, but I expected something slightly more intelligent from Kenneth Branagh as this was fairly loud and stupid.

Murder Rock - This was on my list of unwatched discs, but it only took about five minutes to realise I watched it not so long ago as I remembered the killer's identity, motivation and the ending. It's a very good giallo by Lucio Fulci, but not as good as Don't Torture a Duckling.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Thor - I have no idea how faithful this was to the comic books, but I expected something slightly more intelligent from Kenneth Branagh as this was fairly loud and stupid.
I can't believe you expected this to be intelligent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Murder Rock - This was on my list of unwatched discs, but it only took about five minutes to realise I watched it not so long ago as I remembered the killer's identity, motivation and the ending. It's a very good giallo by Lucio Fulci, but not as good as Don't Torture a Duckling.
Even though this is Fulci 'doing' a Suspiria, I really like Murder Rock. A favourite, and very under-rated in my opinion. I'm definitely in agreement with you on it being inferior to Duckling, though.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I knew nothing about Thor aside from the director as I hadn't seen only trailers or read/listened to any reviews. For a man who is best known for his Shakespearean films, Branagh shows he can make loud, stupid, CGI-fest blockbusters like anyone else!

As for Murder Rock[/B], it's always interesting to watch a giallo when you know who the killer is and see how the police/amateur sleuth discover their identity.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:41 PM
Cultist in Training

just watched a very strange DVD called SHE
think its a post madmax film but it is possibly the strangest film I have seen.

it features posh toff werewolf, a man with power to control people with his mind, nuclear radiated people with limbs dropping off, a nazi style gang and much more. the strangest moment must be the massive bearded guy wearing a tutu and ballet-dancing.
bdc and platostotal like this.
Old 11th October 2011, 08:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by piraterob View Post

it features posh toff werewolf, a man with power to control people with his mind, nuclear radiated people with limbs dropping off, a nazi style gang and much more. the strangest moment must be the massive bearded guy wearing a tutu and ballet-dancing.
is that the one with the bird from Conan in it? Sandhal Bergman me thinks?
Old 11th October 2011, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

I think I have this on VHS. Is it with the chick from Conan The Barbarian?

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 11th October 2011, 08:51 PM
Cultist in Training

yes thats the one
Old 11th October 2011, 09:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:

Sandahl Bergman looks awesome in it, I think it's a bit 'under the influence' ahem, haven't seen it in ages. A true cult film(in no way a remake of the Hammer film either) but good fun.
Old 11th October 2011, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Watched EATEN ALIVE, the Lenzi gut muncher, first time I've ever seen it uncut, loads of scenes ripped from other movies(some not even his) If you find FEROX and it's animal scenes offensive, stay away from this follow up. Funny thing is the original gore scenes are pretty good and well done, but be prepared to sit thru bits of...LAST CANNIBAL WORLD/SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD/DEEP RIVER SAVAGES and maybe others, Robert Kerman is great and Janet Algren looks gorgeous, loosely based on the Jim Jones mass suicide cult in Guyana with a cool opening in and around central NYC. It was a mates VHS, have to see if I can buy it off him, to me it's one of those so bad it's good jobs.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 12th October 2011, 01:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen the Aussy drama/thriller Snowtown!

Wow... Australia really are making some awesome movies recently! First Animal Kingdom and now Snowtown.

This is a quite disturbing flick about a mother who has 3 kids that got abused by her boyfriend. The she finds out and calls the police on him, later she meets this new guy and the kids start to bond with him but slowly things start to unwind. This is based on a true story and is about this new guy that comes into the family and is a evil so and so who tries and brings out the violent side of a abused kid. There is a lot more to the story which I wont go into but it needs to be seen! Disturbing and powerful.

8/10

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!