Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180731Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2012, 03:47 PM
Active Cultist

Chalet Girl??!!! - are you guys high!

I watched an old perenniel today The Purple Rose of Cairo, I keep hoping Mia Farrow's character will climb through my screen so I can treat her real nice, but sadly it didn't happen again. Maybe need to get a bigger screen. I feel a Woody Allen phase coming on...
Old 15th February 2012, 05:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Recent watches......

THE EVIL THAT MEN DO-Nice to see this uncut.
No one can match ol' Charlie boy!

DEATH WISH V-Obviously ridiculous,but has some inventive death scenes as Mr B was a wee bit past it by then!

TYRANNOSAUR-Anyone like Ken Loach films?
If yes,then you'll love Considine's debut.
I thought it was harrowing,but fascinating.
Another outstanding performance from Mullan and his female opposite.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 15th February 2012, 05:48 PM
Ex-member

[QUOTE=Reaper@Cult Labs;217024]Recent watches......

THE EVIL THAT MEN DO-Nice to see this uncut.
No one can match ol' Charlie boy!

Which dvd is it?
everywhere I have read the film has been uncut to an extent, but other scenes are cut e.g R rated etc
Old 15th February 2012, 06:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE DEAD PIT - Liked this for its late 80s vibe ie. all the horror looked cackhandedly rock videoesque... could really only enjoy as a cartoon, straightfaced approach notwithstanding. Thought there was actually quite a lot of conflict between its overall dickheadedness and various unexpectedly sleazy or eerie moments... admittedly, perhaps not quite enough of the latter. The male 'lead' seemed to be channeling David Warbeck? I may be wrong. SUSPECT ZERO was a riveting psycho-chiller from the director of the brain-curdling 'Begotten'. Remote viewing, serial killing and Ben Kingsley... pretty inspired, emotive despite the potential for a bit of eyeball rolling re the premise. I haven't yet watched 'Shadow of the Vampire', but on the strength of this, I will.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've set my V+ box to record it this evening (along with Lincoln's Lawyer) and, as the trailer doesn't make it look doesn't look particularly challenging, it should be entertaining enough.
Watched The Lincoln Lawyer last night and loved it. Thought it was going to be a straight up boring courtroom drama; it wasn't it is superb, I'm sure you'll like
Old 15th February 2012, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Super: Not a stupid Kick-Ass clone as I'd initially suspected, but actually a rather dark (and in places quite funny) tale of one man's struggle to get his wife back from drug dealers and rescue her from the habit. Great performances, and a not entirely predictable 'by the numbers' storyline makes this worth checking out. This film is what the dire Kick-Ass should have been.

Grave of the Fireflies: I'd wanted to see this again for a while and finally got around to it the other night. An anime which deals with a young man's struggle during war-time, after losing his mother. He is therefore left as the sole guardian of his younger sister whilst his father is off fighting. Beautiful in some respects, ugly in others, as he tries to remain strong for his sister as the war rages on around them.

High and Low: Actually my favourite Kurosawa film (and not a samurai in sight!) this cracking noir-like thriller deals with a proud businessman having to weigh up the cost of giving up his luxurious lifestyle and mortgaging everything he owns (including the shoe company he has worked for almost all of his life) in order to save his chauffeur's son at the hands of the blackmailing kidnappers.

Rififi: Decent noir from French director Jules Dassin, Rififi tells the story of a group of men who plan to rob a jewellery store, which appears to be 'the perfect crime' and, well you know the noir formula for disaster! What sets it apart from the rest is some superbly tense scenes; especially when the group are breaking into the store from above with the aid of an umbrella!

X-Men: First Class: After the previous two turgid X-Men outings (III and Origins) I wasn't expecting much from this one and had put off watching it for a while; however I was pleasantly surprised. A pretty decent plot and some great set-pieces elevates this one much higher than originally thought. Some good performances too; particularly Kevin Bacon who makes for a pretty decent 'bad guy' (...in Super, too).

The Bridge: A pretty well-made documentary which deals with the families and lives of people who have jumped to their deaths from The Golden Gate Bridge. Pretty intense at times, and surprising at how many choose to do the deed in that fashion every year.

Detective Dee - Mystery Of The Phantom Flame: A classic case of style over substance: lavish landscapes, minimal plot.

Mulholland Falls: Read about this on the forums a while ago, and thought I'd give it a shot. Aside from the delectable Ms. Connelly, I really couldn't enjoy this one much for some reason. It was okay, but did drag in places.

Theatre Of Blood: An absolute classic, Price is fantastic as usual as the scenery chewing thespian bent on revenge, Edward Lionheart. After the Phibes films, this is probably my favourite Price performance - never get tired of this one.

Blow Up: Antonioni's controversial thriller, set in swinging fashionable London. I always felt that this film is a bit over-rated; whilst it is good, it's never provoked a big reaction with me. David Hemmings reminds me of Peter Bark in this for some weird reason, too!
Demdike@Cult Labs and sawyer6 like this.
Old 15th February 2012, 07:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default tonights viewing pleasures have been

bob clark double bill
Old 15th February 2012, 08:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just been to see Woman in Black...I thought it was very good!
Main complain is the amount of cheap jump scares was annoying.
These are Hollywood tactics so Hammer which is meant to be a indie UK company should know better.

7/10

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 15th February 2012, 10:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched Easy A for the third time today, brilliant comedy that is way more intelligent than your average teen movie. A very well written script with a great performance from Emma Stone.

Also watched Space Truckers, forgot how good this film was, sure it's not the best sci-fi movie ever made but it's a Stuart Gordon film and that's a bonus in my eyes. Some good visual FX for the time and some well placed musical cues make the film way more enjoyable than it has any right to. Dennis Hopper is great too.
Old 16th February 2012, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched William Burroughs:A Man Within AGAIN. as the release of the second Volume of his letters ("Rub Out The Words") is imminent (in UK, better cover though) thought i'd give this documentary one more spin. Still have my problems with it, too little on one thing, not enough Brion Gysin etc, but i wouldnt be without it really.

Oh, and i watched a super little film all about the early days of Neighbourhood Watch called The Wicker Man? i'd recommend it a lot!!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!