Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181800Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2012, 11:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Twisted Nerve - 1969 UK d: Roy Boulting

Can't believe I've never seen this before. Never even caught it on telly during my formative years. Bizarre. After the bad taste left by the abysmal Killer's Moon (why was it not "Killers' Moon"?) I felt the need to see some British horror done well and took a chance on this...

An excellent film. First off, the performances are just brilliant - I never realised that Hayley Mills could act this well (nor did I realise she ever looked so beautiful, but that's not the point) and this must surely stand as one of Hywel Bennett's finest moments. The rest of the cast is a belter - Billie Whitelaw (as brilliant and stunning as ever), Frank Finlay, Timothy West, Barry Foster...superb!

And the music! A Bernard Herrmann score easily the quality of his better known and more revered work. And so well integrated into the film. Outstanding. The man on the camera was the great Harry Waxman and the quality of his skill shows. The films looks magnificent - rich colours, haunting and disorientating shots on staircases, perfect use of the frame.

I am so glad I finally saw this - a total gem of British genre cinema made by a cast and crew on the peak of their game. it won't be very long before I watch this again.

PS: brilliant transfer on the Optimum DVD.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I always enjoyed Entrapment as a fun watch, and Connery was pretty good in Medicine Man.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:07 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Can't believe I've never seen this before. Never even caught it on telly during my formative years. Bizarre. After the bad taste left by the abysmal Killer's Moon (why was it not "Killers' Moon"?) I felt the need to see some British horror done well and took a chance on this...

An excellent film. First off, the performances are just brilliant - I never realised that Hayley Mills could act this well (nor did I realise she ever looked so beautiful, but that's not the point) and this must surely stand as one of Hywel Bennett's finest moments. The rest of the cast is a belter - Billie Whitelaw (as brilliant and stunning as ever), Frank Finlay, Timothy West, Barry Foster...superb!

And the music! A Bernard Herrmann score easily the quality of his better known and more revered work. And so well integrated into the film. Outstanding. The man on the camera was the great Harry Waxman and the quality of his skill shows. The films looks magnificent - rich colours, haunting and disorientating shots on staircases, perfect use of the frame.

I am so glad I finally saw this - a total gem of British genre cinema made by a cast and crew on the peak of their game. it won't be very long before I watch this again.

I bought KILLER'S MOON when first released on dvd over here and it was a disappointing film, in fact a bore
the publicity said something like that its UK's answer to I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE which I didn't believe for 1 second
I have yet to see TWISTED NERVE and I know part of the soundtrack is on KILL BILL VOL 1 but don't know where
Old 24th June 2012, 12:16 PM
Cultist

Quote:

I've seen the DVD of that (Twisted Nerve) in HMV a number of times, but i've held of from buying it for some reason. After reading your post, I think i'll buy it next time.
Old 24th June 2012, 12:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thats two excellent reviews for Twisted Nerve now. (Gojirosan and Demoncrat).

I will have to pick it up soon.
Old 24th June 2012, 01:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I've only just seen it myself, well a couple of months ago. Such a fantastic film. It gives me hope with all the rubbish that is coming out these days that there are still many great old films yet to be seen by myself.

Unfortunately these days most people will recognise the whistling theme from Kill Bill and not this.
Old 24th June 2012, 01:28 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Been half watching Franco's The Bloody Judge as I transfer it from the Salvation VHS to digital (the VHS was essentially brand new - I'd never watched it it had never even been in a machine till today!).

It seems pretty good! I am tempted to get the Blue Underground DVD of the longer version.

Can anyone with a knowledge of the business dealings of video companies explain why there was a Cinema Club logo before the feature on a Salvation/Redemption release?
Old 24th June 2012, 01:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Been half watching Franco's The Bloody Judge as I transfer it from the Salvation VHS to digital (the VHS was essentially brand new - I'd never watched it it had never even been in a machine till today!).

It seems pretty good! I am tempted to get the Blue Underground DVD of the longer version.

Can anyone with a knowledge of the business dealings of video companies explain why there was a Cinema Club logo before the feature on a Salvation/Redemption release?
I would imagine its simillar to Boulevard releasing films like The Stuff which are direct ports from the US Anchor Bay release.

Edit* Another example being the US release of Permissive from Jezebel. This has a BFI titlecard.
Gojirosan likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 24th June 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 24th June 2012, 01:47 PM
Active Cultist

Umberto Lenzi's Eyeball
Princess of Darkness
Session 9
Last House in the Woods
Old 24th June 2012, 02:29 PM
Ex-member

Hellraiser 3 - Hell On Earth
the last great Hellraiser film

Like this? Share it using the links below!