Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181742Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2012, 09:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

MS CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - Great idea for a title, but does this American indie really live up to the two twisted namesakes in its Brundlepod? No, of course it doesn't. But it is mildly diverting and isn't entirely misleading in that it does feature some cannibalism and a woman who shoots people.
SHUTTLE - Watched expecting vaguely entertaining mediocrity. I was right, until it lurched from standard 'trapped in a small space with a bad man' dramatics into cruel 'kidnapped for international shoe fetishist' territory. Genuinely bleak and depressing conclusion - I thought so anyway, mainly because I wasn't expecting it.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SHUTTLE - Watched expecting vaguely entertaining mediocrity. I was right, until it lurched from standard 'trapped in a small space with a bad man' dramatics into cruel 'kidnapped for international shoe fetishist' territory. Genuinely bleak and depressing conclusion - I thought so anyway, mainly because I wasn't expecting it.
I agree, very bleak ending. I actually really liked this too, a lot better than I expected and getting it from Poundland was a bonus. Worth a look, whoever hasnt seen it yet.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th June 2012, 10:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I agree, very bleak ending. I actually really liked this too, a lot better than I expected and getting it from Poundland was a bonus. Worth a look, whoever hasnt seen it yet.
Yeah, the swerve into desolation was kind of unexpected. And I felt my stomach sinking when the 'final girl' looked at that photograph at the end... felt like those last few minutes belonged to a different film. But I agree, the whole thing is worth a watch.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I am now intrigued.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I am now intrigued.
It's a better than average time filler in many ways, G. Competently made and ratchets up the tension, and throws in a few twisty bits plot wise whilst never being mind blowing... then, during the last half hour, a darker, sleazier mood sets in, leading to the ending already mentioned. It's probably not worth being massively intrigued by, but was better and different to what I'd envisioned.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I am now intrigued.
Don't be its appalling Gojirosan.

Its one of those films where you'll be tearing your hair out.

The captives have, ooh, about 350 chances to overpower their captor played by Tony Curran, and fail to even remotely notice any of them. Thats in the opening half hour.

As for depressing, yup i was certainly depressed after it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th June 2012, 06:28 AM
Cultist

Chopping Mall (1986)

Watched this via youtube , last time I saw this was on VHS.

Octopussy (1983)
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:47 AM
Cult Acolyte

Straight on till Morning

Wow, didn't expect something this unusual from Hammer - it's like something from the bfi Flipside label (in fact, it reminded me a little of Nightbirds). It's a shame there were a few things that hampered my enjoyment. The obtuse editing I found quite annoying, seemed a bit Nic Roeg-lite, chopping around all over the place. The opening scenes were quite dull, and took a good while for any kind of plot to come into focus. That said, I found the central pairing of Tushingham and Briant really engaging, their creepy relationship made the film. I'm assuming the various Peter Pan references tied in to their naive, child-like manner - it worked for me anyway. Top ending too, with some genuinely disturbing sound design (dog lovers beware!) . . .
Old 29th June 2012, 11:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Straight on till Morning

Wow, didn't expect something this unusual from Hammer - it's like something from the bfi Flipside label (in fact, it reminded me a little of Nightbirds). It's a shame there were a few things that hampered my enjoyment. The obtuse editing I found quite annoying, seemed a bit Nic Roeg-lite, chopping around all over the place. The opening scenes were quite dull, and took a good while for any kind of plot to come into focus. That said, I found the central pairing of Tushingham and Briant really engaging, their creepy relationship made the film. I'm assuming the various Peter Pan references tied in to their naive, child-like manner - it worked for me anyway. Top ending too, with some genuinely disturbing sound design (dog lovers beware!) . . .

I think I liked it a bit more than you, but I must agree about the over-stylised editing. It doesn't serve the film very well and you get the feeling they were just "trying it on for size" because of other New Wave type films around the time. "Nic Roeg-lite" is an excellent summary of that aspect!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:20 AM
Cult Don

Pervert

Strange film, to say the least!
SharonLynette likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!