Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181800Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2012, 03:42 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

This is now at the top of my new year to buy list. Great review HJ.
bdc and Handyman Joe like this.
Old 24th December 2012, 04:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Saw the Hobbit this afternoon. Rather dull.
Old 24th December 2012, 04:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter - 1984 USA d:Joseph Zito

Seriously, guys? Seriously?

The Friday The 13th films are not high on quality, being merely acts of cynical money-raking, but this one takes the biscuit. This is an awful film. Incompetent on many levels, patience testing, just plain awful. As bad a slasher as was made in the 80s and the worst film I have yet seen from the franchise (yes, it may even be worse than Marcus Nispel's farrago of a remake from 2009).

Utterly dreadful and not even fun in it's awfulness. A bad film.
Old 24th December 2012, 04:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Have me sky box set up to record Silent night deadly night tonight.
Can't decide which one of my Hammer films to watch tonight. The
Devil rides out, The Mummy's shroud, Rasputin the mad monk
or The Reptile. Could end up watching Killer Klowns from outer
space yet. Anyway Happy Christmas to all on Cult Labs.
Old 24th December 2012, 06:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

December 20th

Santa's Slay (2005)

Terrifically good fun, a reimagining of the Santa Claus legend. In this he is a demon who loses a bet with an angel and has to be good to people and give toys to children. When the bet comes to an end he goes back to his evil ways using the Santa Claus legend as a way to strike terror.

The film begins with a typical family get together on Christmas Eve, everyone sat round the dinner table, getting a bit tetchy as you do. Then Santa appears and all hell breaks loose. The head of the table has his hands pinned to the table with garden shears and the other revellers come to equally unfortunate ends. This opening scene of carnage is made more fun by the fact the table consists of known actors like Rebecca Gayheart and James Caan.

Wrestler Bill Goldberg plays Santa, and he does an impressive job, murdering everyone he comes across, including the punters of a strip club. That is until friendly old Robert Culp decides to put a stop to Santa's antics. The violence is a lot of fun, if on the cartoony side, but this doesn't detract from what is a fine piece of entertainment which i am sure will become a regular Christmas treat for me.

December 21st.

Waves of Lust (1975)

A young couple becomes embroiled with the personal problems of another couple on a yacht moored off Sicily during a turbulent weekend of fun, sex , betrayal, domestic abuse and ultimately murder.

I really enjoyed this Ruggero Deodato effort which was a long way from his more notorious films and has next to no blood in it. What it does have in spades is sleaze, as the couples swap partners and get up to various sexy antics. Some of it, towards the end, not so playful. John Steiner is excellent as the increasingly deranged Giorgio and Al Cliver somewhat subdued as Irem, the only other male in the film. The film lives or dies on how convincing the cast are when there are only four of them on a yacht, creating an increasingly claustrophobic atmosphere. The two women played by the equally gorgeous Silvia Dionisio and Elizabeth Turner are just as capable as their male counterparts when it comes to the sexual games. As the film continues suddenly it seems everyone is no longer playing and seem to all have varying agendas. The way the script allows the characters to develop and brings out near psychopathic tendancies in some, proves somewhat of a triumph for the tautness of Deodato's direction. This may well be my favourite Deodato film of all. Time will tell.

Recommended
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Santas-Slay-poster.jpg (34.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Waves-of-Lust.jpg (93.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th December 2012, 06:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
December 20th

Santa's Slay (2005)

Terrifically good fun, a reimagining of the Santa Claus legend. In this he is a demon who loses a bet with an angel and has to be good to people and give toys to children. When the bet comes to an end he goes back to his evil ways using the Santa Claus legend as a way to strike terror.

The film begins with a typical family get together on Christmas Eve, everyone sat round the dinner table, getting a bit tetchy as you do. Then Santa appears and all hell breaks loose. The head of the table has his hands pinned to the table with garden shears and the other revellers come to equally unfortunate ends. This opening scene of carnage is made more fun by the fact the table consists of known actors like Rebecca Gayheart and James Caan.

Wrestler Bill Goldberg plays Santa, and he does an impressive job, murdering everyone he comes across, including the punters of a strip club. That is until friendly old Robert Culp decides to put a stop to Santa's antics. The violence is a lot of fun, if on the cartoony side, but this doesn't detract from what is a fine piece of entertainment which i am sure will become a regular Christmas treat for me.

December 21st.
This sounds like a lot of fun, I think I'll add it to my never ending wishlist
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th December 2012, 07:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
December 20th

Santa's Slay (2005)

December 21st.

Waves of Lust (1975)

A young couple becomes embroiled with the personal problems of another couple on a yacht moored off Sicily during a turbulent weekend of fun, sex , betrayal, domestic abuse and ultimately murder.

I really enjoyed this Ruggero Deodato effort which was a long way from his more notorious films and has next to no blood in it. What it does have in spades is sleaze, as the couples swap partners and get up to various sexy antics. Some of it, towards the end, not so playful. John Steiner is excellent as the increasingly deranged Giorgio and Al Cliver somewhat subdued as Irem, the only other male in the film. The film lives or dies on how convincing the cast are when there are only four of them on a yacht, creating an increasingly claustrophobic atmosphere. The two women played by the equally gorgeous Silvia Dionisio and Elizabeth Turner are just as capable as their male counterparts when it comes to the sexual games. As the film continues suddenly it seems everyone is no longer playing and seem to all have varying agendas. The way the script allows the characters to develop and brings out near psychopathic tendancies in some, proves somewhat of a triumph for the tautness of Deodato's direction. This may well be my favourite Deodato film of all. Time will tell.

Recommended
I really enjoyed Santas slay!

Watched GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination, fincher is clearly a talented director and only a fool could call it a bad movie.
unfortunately I have to call it a pointless one, made far too soon after the swedish versions it feels slick but ultimately pointless. Shame really. That said I do like stellan skaarsgard in it!

Then CLASS OF NUKE EM HIGH. Excellent slice of troma with plenty of brains behind the sleazy mutant exterior. Sends up eighties america and atomic energy brilliantly and adds a fresh spin on the high school movie. Arrows presentation here is faultless.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th December 2012, 07:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I really enjoyed Santas slay!
We agree on one

It really is Christmas.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 24th December 2012, 07:25 PM
Ex-member

"The Good The Bad And The Ugly"
"Inglourious Basterds"

and tomorrow im going to see
"Django Unchained"
Rik, keirarts, sawyer6 and 2 others like this.
Old 24th December 2012, 07:32 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter - 1984 USA d:Joseph Zito

Seriously, guys? Seriously?

The Friday The 13th films are not high on quality, being merely acts of cynical money-raking, but this one takes the biscuit. This is an awful film. Incompetent on many levels, patience testing, just plain awful. As bad a slasher as was made in the 80s and the worst film I have yet seen from the franchise (yes, it may even be worse than Marcus Nispel's farrago of a remake from 2009).

Utterly dreadful and not even fun in it's awfulness. A bad film.
A slight case for the defence here, it does have Crispin Glover and a great Savini death scene at the end; some of Corey Feldman's memorabilia is pretty cool. Agreed this entire franchise reeks, but this is actually my favourite after Part 2.

Like this? Share it using the links below!