Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180858Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2013, 08:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Undoubtedly commentaries can be entertaining and informative but to me there too much of a distraction from the movie! Snippets are about as much as I can take before it gets annoying!
Old 8th January 2013, 10:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I havent posted on here or updated my letterboxd recently of what films ive seen so here the lest few that i can think off.

Bait tbh i wasnt expecting much from this and boy was i surprised if you like you monster attack type style film then i would recommed this while it wont make no classic its defiantly a good watch only 2 things spoiled it for me 1) the couple trapped in the car annoyed the **** out of me and 2) the cgi on the shark at times was rather pants and not even slightky convincing but otherwise a film worth seeking out,

The sound of my voice ...Extremely slow dull boring and nothing to even keep you interested i tried to percivere with but had to turn it off around half way mark,

Barricade a bloke takes his 2 kids away on vacation middle of nowhere for christmas and strange things are happening not realy that good but worth a one off watch,

No tell motel.. about a group of teanagers have a car accident and come accros a old unused motel where they keep seing people and a little girl killed in a road accident ...Avoid only watch if you catch this on the horror channel
Old 8th January 2013, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Society
Old 8th January 2013, 01:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Vengeance Is Mine/Fukushû suru wa ware ni ari - 1979 Japan d: Shōhei Imamura

Pretty bloody remarkable film that made me feel ashamed that I hadn't seen it before my 40s. Just...wow.

This is heady stuff. Ostensibly a case study of a murderer, but rather than some TV style procedural, this goes to wonderful, magical places. It becomes a study of outsiders within a society - killers, hookers, Christians, thieves, the poor, the old, the rejected - and their own almost hidden society within it and through it.

Imamura is in his element here, his utter mastery of the art apparent without showiness. Flat, straight forward narrative is suddenly broken by a small and appropriate slip into experimentalism. His characters seem to truly belong in the places he shows us, and the amazing acting helps enormously. The cramped sets mirror churning minds. This is all fully realised.

An amazing film.

Eureka's Blu-Ray looks (and especially sounds) pretty dismal sadly, but the strength of the art itself overwhelms the limitations of the transfer.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is Cinema.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 8th January 2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
An amazing film.
Indeed
Old 8th January 2013, 02:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
This, ladies and gentlemen, is Cinema.
Yes it is my freind, yes it is.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched Berberian Sound Studio yesterday. If you haven't already, then go out and buy it now! Easily the best film I've seen this year
Seriously though, it really is due all the great things people are saying about it, fantastic stuff. We're going to watch it at college next semester when we start delving into foley work on my recommendation 10/10
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th January 2013, 08:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Kiss in the Tunnel (1899)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post310230
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Watched Berberian Sound Studio yesterday. If you haven't already, then go out and buy it now! Easily the best film I've seen this year
Seriously though, it really is due all the great things people are saying about it, fantastic stuff. We're going to watch it at college next semester when we start delving into foley work on my recommendation 10/10
Glad you like it!! fantstic movie imo.

on more of a downer, been doing my sums vis-a-vie this job im going to the interview for. £250 quid a week basic wage, subtract tax, then the cost of the commute (which is still cheaper than physically moving there) and loss of council tax reductions and i'll have barely anything left...

Still, they were nice enough to give me an interview, and i've not had to do one of those in ten long years so i'll head along anyway.

Worse still, in a meeting regarding my redundancy, i'm owed a weeks wages for every year i've worked there. The swine are basing it on my 16 hours contract, when holidays aside i've not worked my contracted hours once, I was always king of the overtime... I hope they revise my payment or its off to a tribunal. Heading down to citizens advice on friday to see what my options are....
SShaw and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE NEW YORK RIPPER - Pretty much as sleazy as I remember it. Like 'Maniac', people used to really hate this film, but now it's been rehabilitated to the extent that it's on the shelves in HMV - I never thought I'd see the day. I really like the unapologetic approach to brash sadism and outright weirdness... the Donald Duck routine must be a high point of Fulci just not giving a f*ck. As has been mentioned here, the real teeth gritter is less the nipple slicing and more the wailing of the terminally ill kid at the end. Back on the rehabilitation note, so many taboos have been broken in genre (and more underground) filmmaking over the years since NYR was released that it seems weirdly watchable and entertaining these days rather than sordid or transgressive. If it doesn't descend to real depths, it's at least monument dedicated to great bad taste.

Like this? Share it using the links below!