Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2013, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched 'For a Few Dollars More' - probably my favourite of the trilogy.

'Livide' - from the directors of 'Inside'. The first hour is excellent, great build up and atmosphere. The last 30 mins were not so good, and it didn't deliver, for me. Lots of blood & gore though, and a couple of really outstanding scenes.
Old 18th April 2013, 09:46 PM
Cultist

Tonight I saw Marwencol (Marwencol (2010) - IMDb) at a film festival here in Den Bosch (The Netherlands).

"After a vicious attacks leaves him brain-damaged and broke, Mark Hogancamp seeks recovery in "Marwencol", a 1/6th scale World War II-era town he creates in his backyard. "

Very interesting, and well made documentary.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

From 1934:

It Happened One Night
The Thin Man
Tarzan and His Mate
Dames

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post336558
sawyer6 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 18th April 2013, 10:52 PM
Cult Addict

Evil dead remake.

Big dissapointment. Neither scary nor funny. The end is idiotic.
Old 18th April 2013, 11:01 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Latest Viewing

This is my latest batch of viewing

Sinister
The Bay
Broken City
Ladykillers
Evil Dead (remake) enjoyed the gore little disappointed in the lack of fear though but still glad i seen it on the big screen it was good fun
Seven Psychopaths
The Langoliers

Metallicbomb likes this.
Old 19th April 2013, 01:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've just finished watching 24 Hour Party People on Film4.I really liked the film, and, of course, the music which brought back a lot of memories of a great time in my life.I've been meaning to watch it for ages but have just never got round to it.I'm glad I finally did.
Old 19th April 2013, 03:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Recent viewings over the past busy month (a lot of these are from Netflix):

The Bay - A surprisingly good found footage film. Who'd have thought it? Various inhabitants of the titular bay become hosts for a mutant parasite and the result is seen through various video sources like investigative reports, cameraphone footage etc. It works surprisingly well and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I suppose the issue with found footage films is that they're so accessible for people to make and so the bad inevitably outweigh the good but having an experienced director like Barry Levinson behind it really makes it stand out and the found footage delivery genuinely seems like the best way of doing the film, rather than a cost-cutting exercise.

F - Average British hoodie 'slasher' film that seems to forget what to do about halfway in. Not terrible, not brilliant.

The Stepfather (remake) - glossy, shiny remake of a much better film. Ticks all the typical suspense buttons but is ultimately pointless but makes a good stab at redemption by having Amber Heard wearing swimwear for most of the film.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter - I'd never seen this before which I was surprised at. Pretty typical but enjoyable slasher sequel which does all the things you'd expect well enough.

The Glass House - A brother and sister move in with old family neighbours following the death of their parents only to find out their new guardians aren't all that they seem. A moderate, if overly-long, thriller which feels a bit like a tv movie with a bigger budget.

Retreat - Gripping triple-handed indie thriller with excellent performances and an engrossing plot. Cillian Murphy and Thandie Newton play a married couple whose cottage holiday is interrupted by Jamie Bell's solider who locks them in to save them from a fatal viral outbreak.

Pin - A curious and odd film about a boy's split personality which lives through his father's medical dummy. Kinda all over the place but quirky and eccentic enough to be worth a watch.

Side by Side - Wonderful documentary on the rise of digital cinema and its effect on celluloid's future. Keanu Reeves interviews a whole host of directors such as George Lucas, Christopher Nolan, Robert Rodriguez, David Lynch and David Fincher to examine their views on the digital vs celluiloid debate which raises a number of excellent points on both sides of the discussion. A must for anyone interested in film and the film making process

The Place Beyond the Pines - Generation-spanning tale of retribution and sins of the fathers, this is an excellently shot and gripping film. The plot about Bradley Cooper's cop uncovering corruption seems to drag a little but and the denouement seems a little rushed as a result but if you;re able to get past a certain plot contrivance it's definitely worth a watch. Excellent score by Mike Patton too

Ban The Sadist Videos! and Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape - revisited both on a double bill. The latter far more engaging than the former but both very enjoyable and ire-inducing,

Evil Dead - Far nastier than Raimi's film and severely lacking the anarchic sense of humour and fun. That said, it's well executed, shocking and full of frights and definitely one of the best remakes of classic 70's/80's horror. It was never going to replicate the DIY aesthetic of Raimi's original and is far more polished but if you have to remake classic horror films (and I'm not saying that you do) then this is the way to do it.

I Know What You Did Last Summer - Perfunctory, irony-free (surprising as it's written by Scream's Kevin Williamson) late-90's slasher devoid of gore, sleaze and, because of it's TV star cast, nudity. Very much the definition of a middle-of-the-road horror.
Old 19th April 2013, 04:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

In the last few days I've watched/rewatched:

The Phantom Carriage
Twins of Evil
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Birds
Tube Tales
All About Eve
Nowhere Boy
The Stone Tape
New Jack City
House

Was happy to finally see House (1977) which I thought was fantastic, I loved it, like a fabulous Scooby Doo episode (I'm watching Scooby Doo now) and also worth note was The Phantom Carriage (1921) a silent film, watched through Lovefilm had been meaning to watch it for a while. Great tale, love the atmosphere of the film, fell asleep for the last 30 minutes, woke up at 4am turned the 360 back on and re-watched the end then went back to sleep after turning everything off
Old 19th April 2013, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
Tonight I saw Marwencol (Marwencol (2010) - IMDb) at a film festival here in Den Bosch (The Netherlands).

"After a vicious attacks leaves him brain-damaged and broke, Mark Hogancamp seeks recovery in "Marwencol", a 1/6th scale World War II-era town he creates in his backyard. "

Very interesting, and well made documentary.
I've seen that, it's been out on blu/dvd in the US for ages. He's a real character. Loved the fact he came out in his heels to the art exhibition.

Last edited by Delirium; 19th April 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 19th April 2013, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tbh I find it hard to get into a film these days, I lose interest easy find a lot of films slow, dull, boring or full of annoying characters or the films just plain not good,
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!