Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2013, 02:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

I watched The House That Dripped Blood on The Horror Channel yesterday afternoon.It's an entertaining anthology of horror tales, but it's not as good as the other Amicus flicks, Tales from the Crypt and From Beyond the Grave IMO.My favourite stories were the first and the last one with Jon Pertwee and Ingrid Pitt, and, man, did she look sensational in it!

Last edited by Vampix; 28th April 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 28th April 2013, 03:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bunny man

Average flick that's worth a one look just don't expect owt fantastic,
Only thing that ruined it was the killer was dressed up as a rabbit killing people.
Why? Average films are ruined by some form off stupid ideas like this.
Old 28th April 2013, 03:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Stewardess (2002)

Sandwiched somewhere in between the HK film goodness of the late 90's and the HK film boredom of the early 2000's you'll find the Stewardess,a (very) black comedy horror made on a reasonably small budget.

It's somewhat interesting and mostly enjoyable (but a bit long-winded),mainly because it steers clear of the cliché long haired ghost that was made popular by Ringu and seemed to pop up everywhere back then.

It actually reminded me more of something like Audition at times...just goes to show how big Japan's film influence was back then.

Last edited by bdc; 28th April 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 28th April 2013, 05:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Lords of Salem (2012)

As one of horror's new generation of directors, Rob Zombie's films, along with those directed by Adam Green and Eli Roth, will always divide opinion and come under heavy scrutiny among horror fans. Personally i love House of 1000 Corpses and its sequel The Devils' Rejects. Halloween i liked, especially its opening hour, however i found H2 to be a huige disappointment.

So where would Zombie go from here? The Lords of Salem is the answer. A film unlike anything that came before it from the former White Zombie frontman.

One of the main questions i had was whether its star, Zombie's wife, and a regular in all his movies, Sherri Moon Zombie could make the step up from support player to leading lady. Thankfully the answer is a resounding yes. Moon makes the transition with ease and gives a measured, mature performance at the centre of the film as Heidi, one of a trio of local, late night rock dj's. Heidi takes home an odd looking record, sent to the station which when played sends out the message that "The Lords are coming" and seems to trigger halucinations of Salem's violent past. From here Rob Zombie takes the film in a direction reminiscent of Rosemary's Baby and The Sentinel as it becomes increasingly likely that Heidi is an innocent soon to be at the heart of something evil.

The Lords of Salem is a film unlike anything the director had previously put his name to. Gone are the heavy handed gore and shock tactics. The film builds at a slow, intriguing pace, heavy on atmosphere, partially created by the cool yellow hue Zombie gives his night time scenes. As previously mentioned the gore is practically non-existant which to me makes the story more believable and allows it to breathe without the viewer waiting for the next bloody kill, therefore allowing the feeling of impending dread to build significantly. I suppose if i was to compare Lords to anything then Ti West's The House of the Devil would be an obvious choice. Naturally Rob can't resist the wierd and wonderful for the entire film. He adds flourishes of colour to The Lords of Salem in spades in the form of flashbacks to the 1692 witch trials and the alleged horrors that built up to them in the form of nightmarish scenarios that may or may not be Heid's dreams.

Rob Zombie gives a lot of screen time to veteran actresses Judy Geeson, Dee Wallace and Patricia Quinn who Hammer fans may remember as a witch in the Hammer House of Horrors episode Witching Time. The three all revel n their roles and its wonderful to see them seemingly having so much fun in meaty, integral roles in a genre film.

In The Lords of Salem Rob Zombie takes his film making in an adventurous, bold new direction and i hope it goes down as well with the horror community as it did with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lords-of-salem.jpg (43.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th April 2013, 05:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Not seen Lords of Salem yet, but thanks for the thorough review, Demdike.

Intrigued I am.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 28th April 2013, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Really looking forward to this arriving from the competition on here the other week
SharonLynette likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th April 2013, 06:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm really not a fan of Rob Zombie's films, but I'll give Lords of Salem ago, thanks to Demdike's thorough and persuasive review.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 28th April 2013, 06:48 PM
Cult Addict

Just got back from Iron Man 3. Good stuff, really enjoyed it. Maybe partly because I was apprehensive after the dismal second entry. This one made up for things big time. Frankly I think the existence of the second one can be practically ignored.
Old 28th April 2013, 07:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Just got back from Iron Man 3. Good stuff, really enjoyed it. Maybe partly because I was apprehensive after the dismal second entry. This one made up for things big time. Frankly I think the existence of the second one can be practically ignored.
I'm pretty sure it ignored both Iron Man films, almost aiming it at a new audience who are only interested because they saw the Avengers movie, something which was referenced quite a few times. Also, it's basically set in a world where superheroes aren't just men in intelligent robot suits, but demigods from another dimension and therefore more powerful, something which makes the Tony Stark character arc (especially when his at his lowest) more effective.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th April 2013, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

It did acknowledge the reason Stark became Iron Man and it took into account Captain Rhodes step up from army bloke to semi superhero in the second film. Fortunately it made his character much more acceptable than that film. There are even glimpses of Jeff Bridges IronMonger from part 1. And we see Stark finally get the shrapnel removed from his heart. Not sure about the last bit because I thought that was impossible.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Like this? Share it using the links below!