Old 11th May 2013, 09:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

tried watching Arachnid last night, couldn't get into it
Old 11th May 2013, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Julie Darling (1983)

Having been meaning to pick up the Code Red disc of this for ages and being put off by the price of a film i had no knowledge of i plumped for the UK release from Elstree Hill. A cheap and cheerful release from the dodgy grey market label, and worse of all with a PG certificate.

Obviously i wasn't expecting much from the Elstree Hill version other than to get a general idea of the film before deciding to spend £20 + on the Code Red release which has some very good extras by all account.

The Elstree Hill release surprised me with ts PG rating as there are several scenes with nudity including a Sybil Danning sex scene and a fairly dubious scene where young Julie imagines herself in bed with her father, again with nudity. There are also a couple of attempted rapes, a shotgun blast to the chest and a shock stabbing, not to mention a broken bottle shoved in a guys groin albeit from behind, but you do see the aftermath with blood pouring down the bottle. Clearly not a PG certificate given by the BBFC.

The picture quality is a vhs rip but is certainly watchable. In fact its better than some Code Red releases i could think of. The sound is not great but words are clear. Some reviews say the Code Red release isn't the best either but i can't confirm that.

The downer is the screen ratio which is 1:33 whereas the Code Red release is widescreen and remastered.

The film itself is a rip off of superior fare like The Bad Seed. Julie Darling isn't bad at all but is a little overlong with many shots of people coming and going which seem like padding.

Now i've seen this release i'll probably not bother with the Code Red version due to its high price and the film itself not being outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 815HMKWHQPL._SL1500_.jpg (95.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th May 2013, 04:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Julie Darling (1983)

Having been meaning to pick up the Code Red disc of this for ages and being put off by the price of a film i had no knowledge of i plumped for the UK release from Elstree Hill. A cheap and cheerful release from the dodgy grey market label, and worse of all with a PG certificate.

Obviously i wasn't expecting much from the Elstree Hill version other than to get a general idea of the film before deciding to spend £20 + on the Code Red release which has some very good extras by all account.

The Elstree Hill release surprised me with ts PG rating as there are several scenes with nudity including a Sybil Danning sex scene and a fairly dubious scene where young Julie imagines herself in bed with her father, again with nudity. There are also a couple of attempted rapes, a shotgun blast to the chest and a shock stabbing, not to mention a broken bottle shoved in a guys groin albeit from behind, but you do see the aftermath with blood pouring down the bottle. Clearly not a PG certificate given by the BBFC.

The picture quality is a vhs rip but is certainly watchable. In fact its better than some Code Red releases i could think of. The sound is not great but words are clear. Some reviews say the Code Red release isn't the best either but i can't confirm that.

The downer is the screen ratio which is 1:33 whereas the Code Red release is widescreen and remastered.

The film itself is a rip off of superior fare like The Bad Seed. Julie Darling isn't bad at all but is a little overlong with many shots of people coming and going which seem like padding.

Now i've seen this release i'll probably not bother with the Code Red version due to its high price and the film itself not being outstanding.
The PQ of the code red release is excellent and so are the extras, but fair play man. I doubt any of it will make you like the film any more if you didnt get on with this release and as you say £20 is a lot for one disc.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:37 PM
Cult Addict

Also just been to see STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

Duff title aside its a great summer action blockbuster and will definately make fans of certain previous films chuckle...(not going to say which )

Excellent stuff. I hope JJ abrahams leaving to do star wars dosent see a drop in quality for the series. Two films in and STAR TREK as a franchise feels vital and interesting again.
PaulD, Hawkmonger and troggi like this.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Also just been to see STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

Duff title aside its a great summer action blockbuster and will definately make fans of certain previous films chuckle...(not going to say which )

Excellent stuff. I hope JJ abrahams leaving to do star wars dosent see a drop in quality for the series. Two films in and STAR TREK as a franchise feels vital and interesting again.

I know very little about Star Trek but after the positive reviews I'm tempted to waith the first Abrams film then go and see this, even if I already know about the film's..ahem...references (Thanks Stephen! )
troggi likes this.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've only seen one of the original Star Trek films, so didn't get many, if any of the references, but thought this bit was great:

SPOILER:
KHAAAN!
Old 11th May 2013, 04:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I know very little about Star Trek but after the positive reviews I'm tempted to waith the first Abrams film then go and see this, even if I already know about the film's..ahem...references (Thanks Stephen! )
There are some plot points that made me scratch my head when I thought about the film afterwards, but it moves at such a pace everything just happens and I was sitting there with a stupid grin on my face for most of the movie, loving every minute.
troggi likes this.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
There are some plot points that made me scratch my head when I thought about the film afterwards, but it moves at such a pace everything just happens and I was sitting there with a stupid grin on my face for most of the movie, loving every minute.

That was pretty much the gist of Mark Kermode's review on the Radio 5 show too.
Old 11th May 2013, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
That was pretty much the gist of Mark Kermode's review on the Radio 5 show too.
I'll have to download the podcast or watch it on YouTube, but obviously he's right!
Old 11th May 2013, 05:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The PQ of the code red release is excellent and so are the extras, but fair play man. I doubt any of it will make you like the film any more if you didnt get on with this release and as you say £20 is a lot for one disc.
It was a reasonable enough film, but not £20 better.

Like this? Share it using the links below!