Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180649Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2013, 08:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Only cost me £3.50 but i'm actually glad I didn't rush out and buy this release. Could have used some better extras than the 3 minute 'featturettes' as well. A ful documentary on 2000ad might have been nice!

Or maybe i'm just spoiled?
You're just spoiled

Maybe the fact it was a cheapo production that didn't make any money was a factor in that? Still, would've loved to have seen some behind the scenes footage. They really made the budget go far, looked amazing. And stuff like how the slow mo sequences were achieved would've made fascinating viewing . . .
Old 12th May 2013, 08:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Watched Aja's Mirrors on the telly last night. I'd forgotten just how annoying it is watching a film with frequent ad breaks Plus the film I found largely dull (Aja trying to hide the blandness with gore scenes), though I did enjoy the Twilight Zone twist ending . . .
Old 12th May 2013, 08:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sadly barely watched anything in past month, been busy doing this and that, work, well when I'm there because its a if and when required job, my wife completely redesigning the whole house new kitchen blah blah blah so been ripping that out etc, and then on my time off I've been settling down and finishing the unfinished games I've got on my ps3 and wii, and at the mo it's silent hill home coming then I've got metal gear solid 4, god of war, heavy rain, dead rising 2, god my list is endless they are just some of the ps3 let alone the wii.
Old 12th May 2013, 08:57 AM
Cult Acolyte

Putting playing computer games ahead of watching films?! What madness is this . . .
Demdike@Cult Labs and troggi like this.
Old 12th May 2013, 09:15 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Sadly barely watched anything in past month, been busy doing this and that, work, well when I'm there because its a if and when required job, my wife completely redesigning the whole house new kitchen blah blah blah so been ripping that out etc, and then on my time off I've been settling down and finishing the unfinished games I've got on my ps3 and wii, and at the mo it's silent hill home coming then I've got metal gear solid 4, god of war, heavy rain, dead rising 2, god my list is endless they are just some of the ps3 let alone the wii.
Welcome to my world!
Hawkmonger and troggi like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th May 2013, 09:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Re watched DREDD. Still think its a fantastic film but is it me or does the blu-ray look a little....'off'
Yeah the 2D version alternates between looking good and looking dreadful on both the UK and US Blu-rays, the 3D version on the other hand is meant to look fantastic. Annoying.
Old 12th May 2013, 09:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
You're just spoiled

Maybe the fact it was a cheapo production that didn't make any money was a factor in that? Still, would've loved to have seen some behind the scenes footage. They really made the budget go far, looked amazing. And stuff like how the slow mo sequences were achieved would've made fascinating viewing . . .
Look up The Slow Mo Guys on YouTube, they're the guys who did the slow motions bits for Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows, Dredd, Hot Fuzz and Snow White And The Huntsman

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 12th May 2013, 09:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Putting playing computer games ahead of watching films?! What madness is this . . .
It's a nice break because now and again I got bored of watching films and sometimes I sit down to watch a film and get so far then turn it off because I can't be botherd even if I am enjoying the film.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE VAMPIRE'S NIGHT ORGY - Euro tour bus gets stranded in a village full of vampires. Not much of an 'orgy', but plenty of murky atmosphere and weird disjointedness (the soundtrack for one, which goes from rubbish semi-jazz to haunted fem-vocal Eurotica to cosmic electronics). I guess this will divide its audience into those who find it dull and those who pick up on the strangeness. Maybe the litmus test should be posed during the opening credit sequence ie. is it reasonable to stick with a movie which opens with a montage of worms and maggots soundtracked by ridiculously upbeat aforementioned rubbish semi-jazz? I for one wasn't disappointed.

RED MIST - Necrophilious misfit is humiliated and finally almost killed by a bunch of more socially mobile medical students. He goes into a coma, but gets psychic revenge after 'a strange and unapproved new treatment' is tested out on him. It's one of those vengeance and rage fuelled numbers which is propelled by a reactionary undertone ie. it's OK to make the bad guys suffer, in graphic detail, for entertainment purposes. But that's the deal with this kind of film anyway. It's slick, quite violent and at points quite mean spirited. Watchable mainstream nastiness (which obviously never gets TOO nasty).

SICK BOY - A babysitter finds that the kid she's looking after has some real issues (of the flesh rippin' and murderous variety). Sandwiched between a slightly boring build up and an ending which I found a little trite due to it playing 'the Z card' is half an hour or so of really well sustained creepiness which put me in mind of 'House Of The Devil' through its suggestion of looming threat. Shame it doesn't really stick with that approach, although many will prefer the transition to more direct horror in the latter third. Worth checking out.

SENSORED - I'm sure like many others I came to this thinking "hmm, another 'Saw' rip off I can use to waste yet more precious time", but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's nothing of the kind - it's more of a twisted psychological thriller with a fairly deep sense of estrangement. The sense of a broken, distorted perspective - it's basically a voyage through one man's madness - is really well put across and is disorientating but never reverts to textbook 'reality within reality etc etc' stuff like 'Videodrome' et al. Really interesting if not always straightforwardly entertaining, but definitely worth seeing if you haven't already.

CLEAN, SHAVEN - Another voyage through one man's madness, this is a dark, sad, harrowing and brilliant film that should simply be seen. It follows a young man's attempt to contact his daughter against the backdrop of his burgeoning psychosis and a manhunt for a local child killer. The editing process gives full and succinct expression to the change in perception undergone by the lead (particularly in terms of sound). This sensory strangeness gives way in the latter part of the film to a more naturalistic take on the two main character's reunion, one which is ultimately waylaid by tragedy. I saw this on TV ages ago, and it made a big impact on me - its power remains undiminished. 100% recommended.

DR JEKYLL VS THE WEREWOLF - Tedium, atmosphere, sleaze and bizarreness all join forces to provide a poorly made but somehow engrossing movie experience. The same woodenness could be found in TVNO, but at least that film had a consistent tone - this is inferior compared with '...Night Orgy' but makes up for its shortcomings with bits of gore and sleaze, not to mention disco floor werewolf transformations and Naschy-as-Hyde doing business down in seventies Soho. I liked it.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Only cost me £3.50 but i'm actually glad I didn't rush out and buy this release. Could have used some better extras than the 3 minute 'featturettes' as well. A ful documentary on 2000ad might have been nice!
Where getting one later in the year called "Future Shocked!" and will feature interviews with writers such as Wagner, Mill's and McCarthy, artists like Super Squirrel, Flint and MacNiel and fan input from Simon Pegg and 'groan' Jonathan Ross.
keirarts likes this.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!