Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180758Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2013, 06:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It was obvious that the screenwriter had just finished watching A Clockwork Orange when he sat down to write this one
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that! White costumes with the bowler hat, very subtle reference there . . .
Old 13th May 2013, 07:44 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

I just watched "Quarantine". A rather disturbing film, isn't it? The "infected" were VERY effective baddies without going completely "Z". I'm not usually a great fan of "found footage" flicks but this film hit the spot, 8/10 for growls and drool. Is "[Rec.]" any better?

As pretty much everyone else has said, [REC] is much better than Quarantine, and [REC] 2 is a really good sequel. [REC]: Genesis is also very good and a film which seems to improve with every viewing.

If you're interested, these are my reviews:
[REC] | Film 365
[REC] 2 | Film 365
[REC] Genesis | Film 365
troggi likes this.
Old 13th May 2013, 08:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Thanks for the advice folks, I knew that I could count on everyone for sensible counsel. Hats off to all of you.

Y'welcome. I forgot to mention that Quarantine is a very faithful, almost shot for shot, remake. So while I'd say [Rec] is the better film, Quarantine does hold its own, and you may find some of the surprises of [Rec] diminished as you'll have already seen them.

Put it this way, I wouldn't watch it so soon after Quarantine if you had any intention of doing so.

Also [Rec 2] directly continues where [Rec] (or Quarantine) left off. But they gave up on that idea with the straight to DVD Quarantine 2.
Old 13th May 2013, 08:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As pretty much everyone else has said, [REC] is much better than Quarantine, and [REC] 2 is a really good sequel. [REC]: Genesis is also very good and a film which seems to improve with every viewing.

If you're interested, these are my reviews:
[REC] | Film 365
[REC] 2 | Film 365
[REC] Genesis | Film 365
Thanks Nos, I'm gonna keep an eye out for it now. Great review, by the by.

Monster Magnet
Old 13th May 2013, 09:00 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Nos, I'm gonna keep an eye out for it now. Great review, by the by.

Thanks – glad to be of service!
troggi likes this.
Old 13th May 2013, 09:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Just got back from Star Trek. Bloody brilliant, just sheer entertainment from start to finish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Sorry to dampen the mood but I found Star Trek rather dull. From the silly "Indy Jones" start, through the rather wooden acting/script after John Harrison attacks star fleet, the frankly ridiculous Simon Peg Scottish accent, the reliance on other parts of the franchise for plot (there comes a point when its no longer a homage or resonance), the Deus ex machina intervention. I could go on. Not in the same league as the first part of the reboot. Hopefully Abrams will now be too busy to take a major part in the third entry. BUT still worth a watch. Cumberbatch is by far the strongest element in the film.
Watched this is 3D at the IMAX yesterday and WOW! What an experience. The visuals are the best I've ever seen in a film and it was a fair bit like being on a rollercoaster ride on numerous occasions... The plot wasn't anything new and Pegg gets a bit irritating but I'll agree that Cumberbatch was excellent. Brilliant experience overall though (the cinema was a full house too), its a film that really makes use of the IMAX's amazing sound and vision capabilities so I would recommend watching it at one if you have one close by. Its visuals blew Oblivion away, even though I rated that pretty highly in that department.
keirarts and troggi like this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 13th May 2013, 11:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness"
Did I see right? They looked like bare boobies to me! Yes bosoms and botties not even covered by tin bikinis! It made I blush I can tell you, see

But to be fair it was another competent D&D film not quite so badly acted as #2 and without the big names (well, Jeremy Irons) of #1. Some good ideas, not just run-of-the-mill sword and sorcery fare, liquid pain anyone?

7/10 for lack of breastplates, tee hee

Monster Magnet
Old 13th May 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love [REC]
Quarantine is dreck imo.

AAAnyway.......watched Blitz on 5 last night, interspersed with the Smiths "documentary" on BBC2 (less said the better about that).
Second favourite Statham film btw!!!!

A prime piece of exploitation imo, as I haven't seen a more blatant attempt to ape hollywood in ages (nae since Harry Brown in fact), so ka ching!!

Had a mate in till the smiths thing, he had said that it was a "good" film.
Each to their own, but it shall be mine!!! the one bugbear is it is another B title, and will be a b*stard to fit into my collection

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th May 2013, 03:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I also watched Lorna... the Exorcist, but more of that later....
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th May 2013, 06:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

THEM (1954)

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb (1971)
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!