Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2013, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched 'The Tenant' last night - brilliant, loved it even more second time round. Not sure exactly what was going on though. Is he just going insane? Did Simone jump out of the window, or was she pushed - maybe by Trelkovsky? Is Simone reincarnating in Trelkovsky's body - ie. she's a 'tenant' of his body?
That first shot, with the camera roaming the exterior of the apartment building, then waiting for Trelkovsky to walk through the door, is sublime.
Old 30th May 2013, 01:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Watched 'The Tenant' last night - brilliant, loved it even more second time round. Not sure exactly what was going on though. Is he just going insane? Did Simone jump out of the window, or was she pushed - maybe by Trelkovsky? Is Simone reincarnating in Trelkovsky's body - ie. she's a 'tenant' of his body?
That first shot, with the camera roaming the exterior of the apartment building, then waiting for Trelkovsky to walk through the door, is sublime.
I watched The Tenant last week (for the third or fourth time) and was asking myself the same questions as you raised, without any definitive answers. That's one of the reasons I like the film so much as each interpretation is as valid as the next and there probably aren't any wrong answers.
Old 30th May 2013, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Lots of clues, but not many answers - my favourite type of film. What did you think when the concierge is trying to unlock the apartment, and Trelkovsky sort of mimes the action of turning the key a certain way - is he familiar with the door? Has he been there before?
troggi likes this.
Old 30th May 2013, 01:25 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I didn't notice that, but it is similar to The Shining in that respect as there are hints and clues that the protagonist has been to the location before. The only question is: how?

In that respect, it's also similar to David Lynch's films which require numerous viewings to fully grasp what is really happening. I anticipate watching The Tenant quite a few more times before I settle on an interpretation which works and doesn't make me want to change my mind with each subsequent hearing.
troggi likes this.
Old 30th May 2013, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cherry tree lane. Quite enjoyed this about a couple who were terrorised in their own home, only downfall was it was a tadge to short and ended suddenly and to soon and in the middle got a bit boring and slow before picking up again but a decent watch none the less.
troggi likes this.
Old 30th May 2013, 07:54 PM
Cult Addict

NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW (JEFF BURR 1995)

A small towns past comes back to haunt it when a warlock is ressurected into the body of a scarecrow and begins killing off anyone who gets in his way when he goes looking for his spell book.
Jeff Burr is one of those directors that seems to have the ability to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, or in this case make straight to video trash look well executed and enjoyable. This film was engineered as an attempt to start a franchise and the scarecrow was supposed to be a freddy krueger style villain (not Burrs idea according to the excellent commentary track) and in lesser hands could have ended up a totally forgettable mess. Fortunately its actually a lot of fun. Flawed perhaps, but then it was made in the mid nineties before Scream was about to bring horror movies back to cinemas so for me it exemplifies the qualities of the straight-to-video horrors I used to rent religiously. The film was actually shot 35mm so the Blu looks fantastic.
Unfortunately the disc, like a lot of olives output these days, is region locked. A shame because I dont actually see a UK release anywhere on the horizon so its hard to imagine their treading on any toes with this one. It sits perfectly next to NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 and TICKS and I hope Olive unearth more nineties shockers to blu-ray.
Old 30th May 2013, 08:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Woman In Black (2012) Had a few shivers! Mine you it might have been the fact that I was sat in possibly the coldest room in the house!
Old 30th May 2013, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Propaganda aside...an enjoyable Rutger Hauer vehicle.
Old 30th May 2013, 10:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Hangover part III

It was aight. Zach Galifinakis and Ken Jeong carried the movie, nowhere near as good as part I but a good closure to the trilogy.
Old 30th May 2013, 11:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Hangover part III

It was aight. Zach Galifinakis and Ken Jeong carried the movie, nowhere near as good as part I but a good closure to the trilogy.
Funnily enough I updated my latest viewings on this thread and actually forgot that I'd been to see Hangover Part III. That should say something in itself.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Susan Foreman and troggi like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!