All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2013, 09:07 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I completely agree with you about Man of Steel – I loved the bits with Kevin Costner but the action sequences (which comprised the entire third act) were too fast, loud and obviously animated so they became boring. (How many thousands of people would have died in that immense destruction?!)

As for A Good Day to Day Hard, I haven't seen it, but the trailers didn't do particularly good job of selling it and this video will mean much more to you than me, picking up on many of the points you raised.

Haha, I enjoyed that as I do with all of the cinema sins videos. Sometimes they're a bit too smug and nit-picky but a lot of their observations are great and I'm glad they also pointed out the vacation thing. I forgot about the awful homage to the death in the first film! That was terrible.
troggi likes this.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

That reminds me, watched Die Hard With a Vengeance once again when it was on telly the other night. Very enjoyable stuff. Mighty impressive the carnage they managed to stage in New York back before obvious CGI trickery rendered any major stunt unimpressive (truck surfing scene aside) . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

weekend veiwings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0371.jpg (92.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 1st July 2013, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

On Saturday, after a nice long drinking session at my local in the afternoon, I watched:
Drag Me To Hell - acting was ok, good atmosphere but a lot of unnecessary cgi used. As a whole an ok film, but not memorable.
Yesterday I watched:
Big Trouble in Little China - an amazing film, Kurt Russell with some of his most memorable lines and combined with a great soundtrack, superb action and a chinese guy who looks a bit like Bill Bailey makes a damn fine movie.
Little Shop of Horrors - The 80's musical not the Corman. A great little film, songs are a bit corny but it's always fun to watch Rick Moranis sing and a sadistic dentist just being, well, sadistic.
The Wicker Man - An all time horror classic, can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but still damn creepy seeing Christopher Lee dance around as a woman.
Halloween - Again, like The Wicker Man, I can't say anything really that's already been said; so I'll just leave it with still one of the best horror's I've seen.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched over the weekend:

Knightriders

In a word.. charming, but that's about as much enthusiasm I can muster for it unfortunately. I enjoyed it to a point, but at just shy of two and a half hours, boy does it outstay its welcome; if they trimmed 50 minutes it would have been a far more entertaining and leaner film. Still, it's warm hearted and hard not to like, and I had great fun spotting all the Romero regulars. Tom Savini makes a great black knight and the bike stunts are entertaining.. but as I say, it wears very thin after a while.

Father's Day

Have to say this really impressed me! I've always had a love/hate relationship with Troma; I love the ideas behind them (and Lloyd Kaufman) more than the reality, but this is probably my favourite of theirs yet, no doubt due to the involvement of Astron-6. Anyway, as the Grindhouse revivial goes, this is one of the better ones, and I enjoyed it more than Hobo with a Shotgun or any of the Tarantino efforts, simply as it makes up with sheer imagination and balls what it lacks in budget. It also has quite a good sense of humour about it. Kaufman crops up as God (and/or the Devil) and I couldn't think of better casting. Violent, mental and fun.

Lords of Salem

Been dying to watch this for ages, and thankfully our good man Troggi here sorted me out with the DVD, but I'm the Lord of procrastination. Was in the right frame of mind last night, and what a treat - it's like Zombie has all grown up and become more arthouse. While I'm a big fan of the utter insanity of films like House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, he completely lost me with his Halloween reboots. Lords of Salem is like what would happen if Zombie focussed and decided to channel Argento into his own version of The Third Mother. Terrifically psychedelic, genuinely unnerving and an excellent small cast made this something of a treat. I like his new direction, and if it proves a patience tester to those who prefer having their films shouted at them, this deserves to win him new admiration.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Lord of Procrastination.
Is that the sequel?

Great review, really looking forward to seeing it . . .
troggi likes this.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:50 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm really surprised how many of you seem to like The Lord's of Salem...

I thought it was awful.
Old 1st July 2013, 01:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Is that the sequel?

Great review, really looking forward to seeing it . . .
I hope you have plenty of patience!

Monster Magnet
Old 1st July 2013, 01:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Watched over the weekend:
Great reviews, I've been pondering getting "Knightriders" but I think I'll leave it 'til I have more time, thanks!

Monster Magnet
Old 1st July 2013, 01:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Great reviews, I've been pondering getting "Knightriders" but I think I'll leave it 'til I have more time, thanks!
I'm a massive fan of Knightriders and always think the time flies – it never feels like a 150 minute film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!