Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181810Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th July 2013, 10:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Widescreen. Had at least four tv's in the time I've had said dvd. Thought this was a known issue with The Abyss dvd??
When they're non-anamorphic you have to change the aspect ratio on your TV to display them properly, is the film just appearing in the centre of the screen do you mean? Once you display them properly, the only difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic is resolution.
Old 25th July 2013, 11:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Lady Vengeance"
I'm a relative newcomer to Korean cinema having only seen a handful of films so "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" was a new experience for me and I liked it! I refuse to say that I understood all of the film but I laid back and let the experience wash over me until the brutal "vengeance" whereupon I sat bolt upright having not "seen it coming"!

What a great film, I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the "trilogy" in my forays and I think that "Oldboy" will be on the agenda tomorrow (CEX usually have a couple of copies, if not HMV is only 5 minutes walk from there)! I was going to give this film only 15/10 but that "vengeance" scene really got under my skin and any film that leaves such a positive lasting impression on me deserves an outstanding 20/10!

Monster Magnet
Old 26th July 2013, 09:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

"Lady Vengeance"
I'm a relative newcomer to Korean cinema having only seen a handful of films so "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" was a new experience for me and I liked it! I refuse to say that I understood all of the film but I laid back and let the experience wash over me until the brutal "vengeance" whereupon I sat bolt upright having not "seen it coming"!

What a great film, I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the "trilogy" in my forays and I think that "Oldboy" will be on the agenda tomorrow (CEX usually have a couple of copies, if not HMV is only 5 minutes walk from there)! I was going to give this film only 15/10 but that "vengeance" scene really got under my skin and any film that leaves such a positive lasting impression on me deserves an outstanding 20/10!
Oldboy is definitely worth watching, you should also watch Sympathy for Mr Vengeance as well
troggi likes this.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:17 AM
Cultist

I gave Embodiment of Evil a re-watch last night... can't beat a bit of Coffin Joe
Old 26th July 2013, 10:13 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
When they're non-anamorphic you have to change the aspect ratio on your TV to display them properly, is the film just appearing in the centre of the screen do you mean? Once you display them properly, the only difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic is resolution.
It appears in widescreen. With black bars across the top and bottom as 2:35:1 generally appears but the bars are thicker so the actual picture is a thinner strip than usual.
Old 26th July 2013, 10:39 AM
Cult Addict

So the back of the dvd says this uploadfromtaptalk1374835132061.jpg
And this is what appears on screen uploadfromtaptalk1374835149693.jpg
Old 26th July 2013, 10:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
So the back of the dvd says this Attachment 115302
And this is what appears on screen Attachment 115303
Try expanding your screen aspect ratio. It should look fine.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:19 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE CARETAKER. Fairly good spin on the battle of the sexes, relationship breakdown and the end of the world via hordes of vampires. It could have done with some script editing and better character development but overall it is a good try at being different in a genre that is bloated and in need of killing.
Frankie Teardrop and troggi like this.
Old 26th July 2013, 01:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
So the back of the dvd says this Attachment 115302
And this is what appears on screen Attachment 115303
Your TV is expanding the picture horizontally but not vertically, you'll be able to do it either with the aspect ratio function on the TV, or with a setting on your player (Full, Normal, Letterbox, Upscale mode, stuff like that). But yeah, that disc can definitely be displayed properly anyway whilst you wait for the Blu-ray
Old 26th July 2013, 03:53 PM
Cult Addict

So if I follow what I'm seeing is actually a 4.3 image stretched lengthways?
I'll have a fiddle when I get in from work. Thanks for that.

Like this? Share it using the links below!