Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2013, 02:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I saw "The Brood" in the cinema when it first hit these shores. Although I did enjoy it I had so many problems with it that I've never thought about getting it on DVD. After reading everyone's reviews though I may have to find it and re-watch it. Maybe I was distracted at the cinema by my companion!
I didn't think much of 'The Brood' when i first saw it many years ago, but revisiting it made me appreciate it much more now i'm older. I really liked it last time i saw it although 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films.

Watched 'Cosmopolis' the other day, i started it the first time but only got half an hour into it and decided to go to bed instead, it's filled with dense complicated dialogue that put me off( i'd had a few beers by this time).

On my second attempt i was sober and paid attention, i found it interesting but a little dull (mainly because the lead character spends most of the time in his car), i can see how it fit's into Cronenberg's world, being about the decline of a career and in consequence mental disintegration, and the protagonist breaking down the barriers of his rigid overly structured life. (or something like that)
I think it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood, but don't know if i'd actually go so far as to recommend it to anyone. 5/10 for me

I know Cronenberg's older and most people mellow with age, but i wish he would go back to his horror/sci-fi roots. It's sad to see him making mediocre drama films when he is capable of creating really twisted and visionary work.

Old 16th August 2013, 02:40 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Agreed on all accounts.

We seem to have similar tastes, nosferatu.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 08:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I didn't think much of 'The Brood' when i first saw it many years ago, but revisiting it made me appreciate it much more now i'm older. I really liked it last time i saw it although 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films.
I think you've hit the nail on the head; 'Shivers', 'Dead Ringers' and' Videodrome' are my favourite David Cronenberg films too and despite such work as "The Naked Lunch" grabbing headlines!

It would be so good if he revisited his roots and gave us more of his visceral horror like "Dead Ringers" which I feel has a terrifying "normality" about it because of Jeremy Iron's skill as an actor even though his characters are so "out of whack!"

I also think Cronenberg made a a fine psychopathic psychiatrist in "Nightbreed" especially in that creepy mask!

I am going to re-visit "The Brood" at some point and see if I will appreciate more now than I did when it had a theatrical release!

Monster Magnet
Old 16th August 2013, 08:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yep, I must revisit The Brood at some stage. It's a fine film but exhausting to watch I think. It's heavy, compared to what I call Cronenberg's punk rock films, Shivers and Rabid. Did anyone dig Fast Company ? I had my eyes peeled throughout that show for Cronenbergisms but honestly I got nothing out of that film. Maybe another one to revisit and reconsider...
Old 16th August 2013, 09:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The pit and the pendulum (full moon)

Not as good as the corman version but still a great film, with have Jeffrey combs and Oliver reed who give great performances but the real star of the film is lance Henriksen who does a amazing job as the evil and terrifying Torquemada. Some great fight scenes and costumes etc look authentic for the time. 8/10

Monty Python and the holy grail

A comic masterpeice, inspired lunacy, for me the best scene is the tale of sir Lancelot. One of my top five comedy's. 10/10
keirarts and troggi like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 16th August 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:45 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yep, I must revisit The Brood at some stage. It's a fine film but exhausting to watch I think. It's heavy, compared to what I call Cronenberg's punk rock films, Shivers and Rabid. Did anyone dig Fast Company ? I had my eyes peeled throughout that show for Cronenbergisms but honestly I got nothing out of that film. Maybe another one to revisit and reconsider...
Never seen 'Fast company' have wondered about it but didn't think it was available on dvd, also it's a bit like Argento's 'Milan' film and Cravens 'Music' film where i'm not even sure i want to watch it in the first place. Even to complete a collection and even if i did own it i doubt i'd want them sat on the shelf among the horror films.
troggi likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:49 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Dead Ringers and Videodrome are probably my two favourite David Cronenberg films and I consider Dead Ringers to be his finest film. I also really love Spider, which is often overlooked.

Quote:
Watched 'Cosmopolis' the other day, i started it the first time but only got half an hour into it and decided to go to bed instead, it's filled with dense complicated dialogue that put me off( i'd had a few beers by this time).

On my second attempt i was sober and paid attention, i found it interesting but a little dull (mainly because the lead character spends most of the time in his car), i can see how it fit's into Cronenberg's world, being about the decline of a career and in consequence mental disintegration, and the protagonist breaking down the barriers of his rigid overly structured life. (or something like that)
I think it's worth a watch if you're in the right mood, but don't know if i'd actually go so far as to recommend it to anyone. 5/10 for me

I know Cronenberg's older and most people mellow with age, but i wish he would go back to his horror/sci-fi roots. It's sad to see him making mediocre drama films when he is capable of creating really twisted and visionary work.
I didn't care for Cosmopolis when I saw it first but then watched it again about a week later and thought it was brilliant, so your reaction to a film is sometimes dependent on your mood, how tired you are and what distractions can disturb you or prevent you from concentrating.
troggi likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Dead Ringers and Videodrome are probably my two favourite David Cronenberg films and I consider Dead Ringers to be his finest film. I also really love Spider, which is often overlooked.

I didn't care for Cosmopolis when I saw it first but then watched it again about a week later and thought it was brilliant, so your reaction to a film is sometimes dependent on your mood, how tired you are and what distractions can disturb you or prevent you from concentrating.
I did like 'Cosmopolis' by the time it ended and can see the point it's making about our modern society ruled by money that has lost it's meaning, but it just didn't grab me like his older films.
I also would have a problem recommending it because a lot of people i meet these days just wouldn't have the patience to sit through it, being force fed CGI and explosions n all that stuff.
I wonder what the Patterson/Twilight fans made of it?
troggi likes this.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Slice and Dice documentary. Brilliant stuff.
Emily Booth looks great by the way. She looks good in white!
Not enough of Kevin Tenney though. Night of the Demons is
one of the best horror movies from the 80's IMO. Good to see
Scott Spiegel and his awesome Intruder
Rik, PaulD and troggi like this.
Old 16th August 2013, 11:23 AM
Cult Addict

Scott Speigel and his awesome 'Intruder' (oo-er missus)

Like this? Share it using the links below!