Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181802Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2013, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I agree... I mean didn't he hang Vanilla Ice out a high rise window until Ice signed over Ice Ice Bay ? Or so the story goes...

Also recommended is the 2008 doc Until the Light Takes Us about the murderous Norwegian Black Metal scene...
I'll definitely check that one out. Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard quite a bit about the Black metal scene so it sounds interesting.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:33 AM
Cult Addict

Do you like Hitchcock?

I thought it was ok, story made sense,reasonably acted. Prefer it to some of Dario's recent stuff in the way it didn't contain any scenes that made me want to tear my eyes out.
( there was one scene when the hero is trying to start his motorbike after braking his leg that i found pretty hilarious.)
Had a few nicely shot moments but not many actual murders and i liked the references made to other films.
Watchable but nothing special 5/10
Old 25th August 2013, 03:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'Drive' - for some reason I missed all the hype about this, when it was released, so went in with no prior knowledge about plot etc. Thought it was awesome, loved the pace, the performances. The violence was pretty shocking, as it should be. Definite re-watch value, for me.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

True Grit (Blu)... This is the Coen's 2010 Western, starring Jeff Bridges as a prickly, whiskey sodden old buzzard charged with tracking down a desperado wanted for murder. Wonderful dialogue, exquisite period detail, excellent performances (including a memorably pestilent looking Barry Pepper), and the occasional nod towards the gothic Italian Western. My only minor quibble is the clichéd, maudlin score, surprisingly so considering it's by the otherwise reliable Carter Burwell...

Old 25th August 2013, 10:15 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vippo View Post
I own every NB Documentary, i really enjoy his work. the box set of his early work is really good and usually goes for around £5 new.
I highly rate every documentary Nick Broomfield has made (at least those I've seen) apart from Kurt & Courtney which doesn't seem to go anywhere, is hamstrung by Courtney Love's non-cooperation and sheds no light on whether Kurt Cobain's death was murder or suicide due to the interviewees' inability to make themselves believable.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone see the 2007 doc King of Kong, about some die hard Donkey Kong obsessives. I have this on DVD and we were talking about it in work during the week so I'm planning a revisit. Really excellent film about a very peculiar, even cut-throat subculture...
Linbro likes this.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:26 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Anyone see the 2007 doc King of Kong, about some die hard Donkey Kong obsessives. I have this on DVD and we were talking about it in work during the week so I'm planning a revisit. Really excellent film about a very peculiar, even cut-throat subculture...
I've heard really good things about it so it's currently 'high priority' in my Lovefilm rental queue.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Yep, it's fascinating. Was on tv, down here, last year.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

geekdog.jpg
"Hercules and the Captive Women" (1964)

Haircurlers is played this time by Reg Park and the "women" in the title are singular rather than plural, lot's of captive men but only one captive woman, talk about "lost in translation!" Lots of sexy short skirts, unfortunately these are on men in sandals!
8/10 because some colour remains on the film!

Monster Magnet
Old 25th August 2013, 12:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Attachment 118429
"Hercules and the Captive Women" (1964)

Haircurlers is played this time by Reg Park and the "women" in the title are singular rather than plural, lot's of captive men but only one captive woman, talk about "lost in translation!" Lots of sexy short skirts, unfortunately these are on men in sandals!
8/10 because some colour remains on the film!
You know something Troggi I think your dog's getting really bored of that boxset.

Last edited by Rondadoronron; 25th August 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!