Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181797Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2013, 09:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Great... and this looks interesting too....

Blank City (Blu-Ray.com review)
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:21 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Great... and this looks interesting too....

Blank City (Blu-Ray.com review)
Looks good. I've not watched this type of stuff in years except Kern.
troggi likes this.
Old 28th August 2013, 11:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Bava's 'Black Sunday' - not a massive fan of gothic horror, but I found this highly entertaining. The special features were great too.(Arrow)

Bava's 'Black Sabbath' - only had time to watch the first short film, 'A Drop of Water', and it was wonderful. A simple story, great direction, fantastic use of sound, and it gave me a genuine shiver up the spine. Will watch the other two tonight. (Arrow)
Demoncrat, keirarts, Vipp and 3 others like this.
Old 28th August 2013, 11:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Fantasy Film Fest 2013 finished today (at least in Hamburg) bring to an end an extraordinary intensive period of cinema visits (I have watched 72 films on the big screen in the past 35 days!).

So todays films were:

The Philosophers tedious philosophy lesson dressed up as a poor film.

Cottage Country so-so horror comedy.

Come Out and Play enjoyable remake of Who can kill a child.

Big Bad Wolves I though this was superb. Recommended.

You're Next surprisingly effective popcorn home invasion movie. A great way to end a great festival.

I will try to post more thoughts over on my diary thread in the coming weeks.

And thats pretty much it for festivals this year, although I will probably go along to Oldenburg and Hamburg International film festivals for a day each and intend to be in London for the Halloween all-nighter.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 29th August 2013, 07:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Here are my frightfest scores in descending order.

Nosferatu (1922) 10/10 - This was introduced by Kim Newman. Lived up to its status as a classic of the genre admirably.

I Spit On Your Grave 2 9/10 - This one was a surprise. I went into into expecting a unimaginative retread of Part 1 but came out liking it better than the first one due to the striking location and accomplished cinematography, great performance by the central female character and suitably gruesome and wince inducing revenge sequences.

Frankenstein's Army 8/10 - The very imaginative creature design and ace special effects really elevate this film above many other Nazi-zombie films. Don't know why they had to use the found footage format though.

V/H/S 2 - A MUCH improved sequel (though the wrap around story still kinda sucks) 8/10. The 'Safe Heaven' segment was the best and gets a 9/10.

Dark Touch 8/10

Contracted 8/10 - A good little indie film

We Are What We Are (The Jim Mickle 2013 Remake) 8/10 - I thought I would like this better. Requires a rewatch I think.

Big Bad Wolves 8/10 - Good effort from Israel. Liked it better than Rabies.

On Tender Hooks - Interesting doc on human 'suspension'. 7/10

The Dead 2: India 7/10

You're Next 7/10

Banshee Chapter 7/10

For Elisa 7/10

Curse of Chucky 6.5/10

Daylight 6/10

Corruption (1968) 6/10

I fell asleep during Missionary and Dark Tourist due to lack of sleep so these require rewatches. Of the two, from what I can tell Missionary was better.

Last edited by Buboven; 29th August 2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 29th August 2013, 08:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post

I Spit On Your Grave 2 9/10 - This one was a surprise. I went into into expecting a unimaginative retread of Part 1 but came out liking it better than the first one due to the striking location and accomplished cinematography, great performance by the central female character and suitably gruesome and wince inducing revenge sequences.

I fell asleep during Missionary and Dark Tourist due to lack of sleep so these require rewatches. Of the two, from what I can tell Missionary was better.
I must agree about I Spit on Your Grave 2 as i also enjoyed the movie and thought it a worthy sequel and hopefully the lead actress Jemma Dallender goes on to bigger and better things as she was excellent.

I wanted to watch Missionary as a fan of the directors work especially Cassadaga but also fell asleep during it but hopefully it will be released soon.

I managed to stay awake for The Dark Tourist but wish i had been asleep as for me it was one of the few movies at the festival that i hated.
troggi likes this.
Old 29th August 2013, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Is that the one with the Mastermind theme?
Aye. Incongruous isn't the word hahaha.
troggi likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2013, 02:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
You're Next.

A smart spin on the home invasion movie. It doesn't stray too far from the formula, but does so with intelligence and an underlying dark streak of humour. It maintains its indie credentials by at least having believable (and for the most part, not too Hollywood) characters who seem to make smart choices (mumbegore, then). Gruesomely inventive (although not excessive), smart, energetic and fun. I had a blast with it.

And as the poster has been plastered everywhere, one can only hope it encourages more people to spell "you're" correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post

Your Next 7/10
No offence to anyone but this did make me laugh :-D
Delirium and Slippery Jack like this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 29th August 2013, 07:32 PM
Cult Addict

Ok, not the last film i watched (that was The Car) bu I really have to mention this. On sunday I attended Guernsey's 4 day Sure film festivel...and watched Jaws ON THE BEACH! Simply put, beats the shit out on any 3D experience i've ever seen!
bizarre_eye@Cult Labs and Wes like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 29th August 2013, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Ok, not the last film i watched (that was The Car) bu I really have to mention this. On sunday I attended Guernsey's 4 day Sure film festivel...and watched Jaws ON THE BEACH! Simply put, beats the shit out on any 3D experience i've ever seen!
That's brilliant about Jaws, really cool. I have to ask though what was The Car like, cos I was reading a review yesterday and it was really selling it to me...

Like this? Share it using the links below!