LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2013, 06:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
It amazes me how prevalent the extended cut is now. Last Halloween my local showed The Exorcist and it was the extended cut...it was the original 1973 theatrical cut that made history - keep it that way. Less is more.
I know – for years the theatrical cut was William Friedkin's preferred version and the extended one was the 'writer's cut', being William Peter Blatty's version of choice but, since Friedkin has now set the extended version is his favourite, it has taken precedence over the theatrical cut, which is almost like the supplementary feature.

The theatrical cut was the one I saw at the cinema and left an indelible impression on me, so will always be the version I turn to given the choice between the two.
Zann likes this.
Old 22nd October 2013, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
I'm perfectly happy with the extended cut of The Exorcist. Personally, the complaints of pacing hold no water for me. I think it's fine.
Seeing the original so many times prior to the early 2000s extended release has made my preference unshakable...but to each their own. Still remember seeing a pirate when I was 11...it was and will always be the scariest thing I've seen on screen.
Old 22nd October 2013, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
Still remember seeing a pirate when I was 11...it was and will always be the scariest thing I've seen on screen.
In the interest of clarity, I meant pirate as in video not pirate as in Jack Sparrow
Old 22nd October 2013, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wreck it Ralph

Has to be my favourite Pixar next to toy story 1&3. One of the most fun and enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. One of those movies I could never get bored of watching. Great characters and story, with lots of little Easter eggs for gamers to spot. Action, thrills,comedy and romance it has it all, definitely has a better love story than twilight. Fun for all ages. 10/10

Next up something completely different cat in the brain, which will be first time seeing this movie.
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Well...just finished watching Sucker Punch (2011)...think I've watched the theatrical version as it says nowhere on the blu's which version they contain?
Anyway,it seems I watched the shorter version as I noticed the other version is longer.

Maybe I should watch the extended director's cut as well before doing a short review?
Well...I've watched the extended director's cut as well now.

Short review (please keep in mind I'm tired. )

"A young girl (Baby Doll) is locked away in a mental asylum by her abusive stepfather. She retreats to a fantastical world in her imagination where she and four other female inmates at the asylum, plot to escape the facility. The lines between reality and fantasy blur as Baby Doll and her four companions, as well as a mysterious guide, fight to retrieve the five items they need that will allow them to break free from their captors before it's too late...."

If this was an anime made by a Japanese crew it would probably get more praise...but it's not.

The main problem is that this was made by a US director for US audiences and the envisioned pg-13 rating does not help.

The whole voice-over and included "message" is obviously there for the mainstream audiences (who seem to have to be constantly told what's going on in a film) and is handled awkwardly (to say the least) as well.

The extended cut features footage where we actually see a "brothel show" being performed (which sort of lightens the mood of the film),more action (some obviously unfinished/lesser quality takes are also included) and what is probably the most important cut scene...the high roller scene at the end which wraps up Baby Doll's story perfectly.

It was probably cut for the pg-13 rating which is a real shame as this works really well.

Overall Sucker Punch certainly has it's moments but also some weaknesses...the film also feels rushed at times and not complete (the missing high roller scene in the theatrical version should have been kept in imho).

But it's probably the best live-action anime adaption style film I've seen.

Deleted "brothel show" dance scene

High roller scene alternate ending (SPOILERS!)

Last edited by bdc; 22nd October 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Wreck it Ralph

Has to be my favourite Pixar next to toy story 1&3. One of the most fun and enjoyable movies I have seen in a long time. One of those movies I could never get bored of watching. Great characters and story, with lots of little Easter eggs for gamers to spot. Action, thrills,comedy and romance it has it all, definitely has a better love story than twilight. Fun for all ages. 10/10
Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not a Pixar film – it's made by Walt Disney Animation Studio. I really like it apart from the 'duty/doody' sequence.
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not a Pixar film – it's made by Walt Disney Animation Studio. I really like it apart from the 'duty/doody' sequence.
Always thought it was, well you learn something new everyday. Also like the duty/doody sequence as well. Some great little scenes in this film. Really should of knowing as there's no Pixar lamp at beginning.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Always thought it was, well you learn something new everyday. Also like the duty/doody sequence as well. Some great little scenes in this film. Really should of knowing as there's no Pixar lamp at beginning.
I don't know if it was clear, but I don't like the duty/doody sequence as it feels far too juvenile and American – as far as I'm an, the British don't use the word 'doody' and I doubt it translates into other languages.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't know if it was clear, but I don't like the duty/doody sequence as it feels far too juvenile and American – as far as I'm an, the British don't use the word 'doody' and I doubt it translates into other languages.
I thought it was ok, but I did really enjoy the Felix/ Calhoun sub story / romance and the bad guy meeting.

Zangief: I relate to you, Ralph. When I hit bottom, I was crushing man's skull like sparrow's egg, between by thighs... and I think, why you have to be so bad, Zangief? Why can't you be more like good guy? Then I have moment of clarity... if Zangief is good guy, who will crush man's skull like sparrow's eggs between thighs? And I say, Zangief you are bad guy, but this does not mean you are *bad* guy.
Old 22nd October 2013, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah, the 'Villains anonymous' meetings were excellent and, like you, I like the romantic subplot with Felix. Is it wrong to find Calhoun attractive?

Like this? Share it using the links below!