Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2014, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

THE KILLER RESERVED NINE SEATS
A group of people meet up in an old theatre, where they encounter a strange figure who claims to be over 100 years old. Soon, the obligatory murders ensue by way of a masked cloaked killer, who appears to be following an identical set of killings as depicted on an ancient parchment...
Entertaining ( and pretty sleazy ) Giallo with seemingly supernatural overtones, presented as a terrific looking Blu ray from Camera Obscura.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dawn of the planet of the apes.

Even better than rise of the planet of the apes. Good acting and action. But once again the star of the movie are the apes, truly amazing work as they are all so life like and are a lot more interesting than the human characters, I would even say the acting is better than most of the human cast.(not that there bad, just amazing work has been done with the apes) There movement and facial expression are nothing short of amazing, you completely believe that they are living breathing characters. 10/10
Old 30th July 2014, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some viewings from full moon streaming

Hideous 7/10
Netherworld 4/10
Head of the family 6/10
Vengeance of the zombies 7.5/10

Now watching a film called mansion of the doomed, followed in next few days by blade in the dark and violent city all of which are first time viewings
keirarts, nosferatu42 and MrRange like this.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hercules (2014) - 4.5/10

Really stupid, but sort of enjoyable, even just to laugh at it. I burst out laughing when John Hurt yelled 'kill that filthy bastard!'. Also, it tries to be realistic, making out the mythology was just an exaggeration, yet Hercules still possesses superhuman strength despite only being human in this film, meaning it actually makes less sense than the original myth!
Old 30th July 2014, 11:19 PM
Cult Addict

Nymphomaniac vol 1 & 2.

When Seligman (Stellen Skarsgard) finds Joe (charlotte Gainsbourg) beaten in an alley he takes her home to give her a clean up and a cup of tea. In return Joe recounts her life story, a highly graphic tale of addiction, desire,self loathing, sexual identity and gender politics that's sprawls across two films in some kind of twisted, almost profound epic. Almost a hybrid of a modern day Anna Karenina by way of Sigmund Freud.

It's hard going in places, and while i'm pretty used to Lars von trier by now he can still deliver intelligent thought provoking cinema with the power to shock. My only gripe with the film is Shia LeBouef who has an almost toxic presence in the film. He's really awful, miscast and mangles his characters accent. But then I wonder if that's the whole point with the casting. Sometimes with Von Trier you never know.

The Demented.

After the 4 hour sexual Odyssey was out the way I needed a little light relief. The anchor bay four film zombie collection was through my door when I got in from work so as a sort of come down I gave the first film in the set a go.

Pretty much generic from the get go, a bunch of over achieving douche bags head out to the middle of nowhere to party. Baffling since new Orleans is not that far away. These mystic terrorists that film makers rely on launch their highly elaborate biological warfare agents on rockets. One comes down and the teens need to stay alive and try and escape.

So, ok the premise is baffling when you consider most terrorists these days are 'tramps up a hill' (to paraphrase Chris morris Four lions) and sure its generic as hell but it's pretty much what it looks like. An entertaining enough, very predictable slice of Zombie mayhem that manages to offer a reasonably entertaining 90 minutes of bland fun.
Old 31st July 2014, 07:01 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
My only gripe with the film is Shia LeBouef who has an almost toxic presence in the film. He's really awful, miscast and mangles his characters accent. But then I wonder if that's the whole point with the casting. Sometimes with Von Trier you never know.
This has been my major concern with this one, as I can't stand him. With such an otherwise great cast I hope that I can overlook his presence when I do get around to watching this.
trebor8273 and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 31st July 2014, 07:05 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
This has been my major concern with this one, as I can't stand him. With such an otherwise great cast I hope that I can overlook his presence when I do get around to watching this.
I have this vague suspicion that he was cast by von trier based on the fact he's pretty much unlikable and that either Von trier simply didn't tell him, or there was some kind of collaboration between the two. His performance was really grating, so I found myself outright hating him.
Old 31st July 2014, 07:38 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

In my review, which is generally positive, I said:

"The only weak link is Shia LaBeouf, whose abominable English accent owes Dick Van Dyke an apology, for it is now the worst such accent in a feature film, switching between American, English and Australian, eventually sounding more Antipodean than anything else. As such, it's hard to difficult to concentrate on anything else during the scenes in which he appears."
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st July 2014, 08:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I don't understand why LeBouef even has an accent, none of the other actors are putting on one. Obviously it could be some sort elaborate joke from Von Trier, but it all seems so needless.
Old 31st July 2014, 01:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - 6.5/10

Damn, I was really looking forward to this. Visually brilliant, but the action is terribly edited making it hard to see what's going on, and the final act was such a mess I totally zoned out. There wasn't a real threat either, The Winter Soldier was much better.

Like this? Share it using the links below!