Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict

I watched David Cronenberg's The Brood a few nights back. Really enjoyed it, quite possibly my favourite of his films, that I've seen anyway. The brood of the title were creepy as hell and the snowy Canadian setting worked well.
Tonight The Raid 2, still brilliant but missing something. It reminded me a little of how I felt when I first watched Die Hard 2. Still a great action film but lacking the tension I think the limited setting of the original provided. The siege aspect if you will.
Still the fight sequences are breathtaking and the final twenty mins felt quite exausting to watch.

Last edited by J Harker; 11th August 2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11th August 2014, 10:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

vd1426_1.jpg

What appears to be a tragic suicide of a teenage girl soon turns into a murder investigation and just as cops get closer to the killer things take yet another turn to uncover something much more disturbing.

A very enjoyable film had me gripped all the way to the end. This film deals with some very uncomfortable issues of underage sex and manipulation of vulnerable young girls. The recordings played of the girls were quite disturbing when you consider the ages of these teenagers depicted in the film but it was used to great effect to make you detest the people involved in the sickening treatment of these girls.

Great soundtrack aswell its stuck in my head as i am typing this.

Recommended.
Old 12th August 2014, 05:56 AM
Active Cultist

Saw two WW2 haunted film noirs back to back last night, both brilliant.

Key Largo - Bogart is a Captain scrubbing around for work post war. Edward G Robinson is a scummy gangster who's been doing fine thanks. Their confrontation takes considerably longer to brew that the metaphorical hurricane that rips through the movie but the catharsis is well worth the wait. Throw in great actors like Lionel Barrymore, Claire Trevor and, of course Lauren Bacall and you've got a winner. Not quite as great though as......

Ride the Pink Horse - Man, I freaking loved this film. Starts out like Bad Day at Black Rock with an incongruously dressed noir guy arriving in a border town which is celebrating its fiesta. Robert Montgomery brilliantly portrays the toughness and the humanity of this guy, who,like Bogie, has been displaced after the war. He's out to blackmail a mob boss who killed his pal and who's got fat off racketeering while honest men have been dying for their country (sound familiar?). A young peasant girl marks our hero for death and tries to save him. He befriends a Mexican carousel owner (featuring the eponymous pink horse) who represents goodness in the most unsaccharine way. An FBI agent is also on the scumbags tail. The tension is incredible - you really care about these characters. The film drips in atmosphere. My highest recommendation - you all must see this.
Old 12th August 2014, 06:26 AM
Cult Addict

Hercules.

Yes the one starring the Rock, yes I went to see that. Don't judge.
The Rock stars as Hercules alongside a cast of mainly British character actors playing heroes and villains. It turns out while a pretty fearce warrior Hercules legend is something of a fraud intended to scare his enemies..or is he?

Thats not some interesting question the film makers are trying to pose by the way, no it really is very uneaven and no one seems to know what they want the film to be. Sure he may be mortal but he can still chuck people about like rag dolls and throw horses about.

Brett Ratner is a fairly mediocre director, even his best film Red dragon isn't anywhere near as good as it should have been and only really holds up because he spent most of the time trying really, really hard to copy Jonathan Demme's style. Here he delivers an idiotic, uneaven adventure with a terrible script but manages to make it fun. It's no classic but it at least passes the time and the fight scenes are entertaining.

I really wish they had got another writer/director and gone all out to make something as outrageous as one of the Italian efforts with good effects work.
But then we can't have what we want all the time or i would be lying in a mountain of cash with scarlett Johannson sat on my face.

Theater of Blood.

Not a lot more to add on a film most people here have probably seen (and if you havent shame on you get it watched) Vincent Price is a disgruntled actor edward lionheart who is going about murdering his critics with the killings based on atrocities in shakespears plays.

The film is tons of fun, with Price giving one of his best performances, the script is both intelligent and witty and the whole film is very well directed indeed.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post

Ride the Pink Horse My highest recommendation - you all must see this.
Doesn't seem to be available on dvd at all.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:39 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Doesn't seem to be available on dvd at all.
Yeah, I had a look too and couldn't find anything either, sadly.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Serial Mom: what can I say about this? It's an absolute blast. I new it was going to be crazy, being a John Waters film, but it was crazier than I had imagined! Kathleen Turner is brilliant as the perfect mum/neighbour who goes nuts whenever people offend her family values! Brilliant! 8/10

You're Next: Another excellent film! I've heard people talking a lot of shit about this film, but I really enjoyed it! Sharni Vinson is perfect a a woman who's invited to her boyfriend's (well off) parents house (mansion) when things get out of hand! I certainly would not like to get on the wrong side of her!!! 8/10
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th August 2014, 04:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The hidden 7.5/10

Revenge of the creature7/10 watch out for a baby faced clint Eastwood in a small role

The house that dripped blood 8.5/10
Old 12th August 2014, 07:00 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Blood (1974)

Andy Milligan's 'Blood' is a weird little film that never takes itself too seriously, and is probably one of the more coherent of Milligan's films I've come across thus far.

The Wolf Man's son and Dracula's Daughter are betrothed in marriage and are looking for somewhere to live on the back of their trip from Europe. Luckily, bowler hatted real estate agents abound throughout Staten Island in 1899 and they are able to rent a house wherein the husband (played by the curt Allan Berendt) can tend to his experiments involving extracting blood from carnivorous plants in order to help satisfy his wife's thirst, all the while aided by a collective of bizarre servants.

Berendt's vampiritic wife is ably played by Hope Stansbury, who throws out shades of 'Monica' from Milligan's 'The Rats are Coming! The Werewolves are Here!' and there are plenty of opportunities for the cast to ham it up in their various roles, to the point where at times you feel as if Milligan is filming an episode of The Munsters, yet still imbibing his trademark essence.
Old 12th August 2014, 07:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Iver.... those were the days.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!