Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st January 2015, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, it is very much an independent production, with Marv Films as the main production company, the same as with every other of Matthew Vaughn's films. Apparently it was pre-cut to secure a 15 certificate – the BBFC said it would have been rated 18 without slight alterations.

In terms of the newspapers, the Harry Hart character seems like a broadsheet reader, probably The Times or The Telegraph – I mentioned the form because it, like The Sun, is owned by the film's distributor.
From what I gathered, 51 seconds was cut from Kingsman by the BBFC for a 15 certificate.

It's uncut in Ireland with a 16 certificate.

Also, I was pointing out that 20th Century Fox is owned by Murdoch's NewsCorp, which owns The Times as well. While I will not doubt that The Sun is there because they had easy access to it, it is just as likely that they could have used The Times. But, I'm guessing that Vaughan is either making a joke about Bond's laddish subtext, or playing on our expectations of Hart.

But, I haven't seen the film yet and therefore, my comments are invalid.
Old 31st January 2015, 08:11 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
From what I gathered, 51 seconds was cut from Kingsman by the BBFC for a 15 certificate.

It's uncut in Ireland with a 16 certificate.

Also, I was pointing out that 20th Century Fox is owned by Murdoch's NewsCorp, which owns The Times as well. While I will not doubt that The Sun is there because they had easy access to it, it is just as likely that they could have used The Times. But, I'm guessing that Vaughan is either making a joke about Bond's laddish subtext, or playing on our expectations of Hart.

But, I haven't seen the film yet and therefore, my comments are invalid.
The newspaper covers are used in a scene where Harry Hart/Galahad explains how the work they do is never on the front pages of newspapers, which on reporting celebrity gossip instead, even though one of the headlights which features prominently is 'Gotcha', the infamous General Belgrano story.

Even though he made a party political broadcast film for the Conservative Party in 2008, I doubt Matthew Vaughn was making a political statement.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 31st January 2015, 08:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The newspaper covers are used in a scene where Harry Hart/Galahad explains how the work they do is never on the front pages of newspapers, which on reporting celebrity gossip instead, even though one of the headlights which features prominently is 'Gotcha', the infamous General Belgrano story.

Even though he made a party political broadcast film for the Conservative Party in 2008, I doubt Matthew Vaughn was making a political statement.
Oh, God. I remember seeing that newspaper headline in history class. Revisiting it on Wikipedia to see that The Sun amended the article to read "Did 1,200 Argies drown?"

Well, we can at least assume the staff at Kingsman didn't do it then.
Old 31st January 2015, 08:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Mr Frost

Jeff Goldblum plays a vicious cold blooded serial killer with a warped sense of humour & a liking for twisted mind games. he has 24 bodies in his back garden including children.

After being sent to the madhouse things take a sinister turn as Frost will only communicate with a female Dr and seems to doom those around him into suffering evil incurrences. It's the silence of the lambs meets Dexter with a sprinkling of a Vincent Price style humour flick.

Highly underrated imo. However the print on the dvd I watched (dutch import) did spoil the full enjoyment I fear possible with only one step up from vipco on PQ. the contrast was too high & washed out eek. All the same If you can cope with a shite print or find a better one the movie fully deserves some attention.
Old 31st January 2015, 09:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
[B]
Overall, I really wanted to like Kingsman, but the snobbish tone and humour, which wouldn't have been out of place in a 1990s 'lads' mag', left me cold.
Oh dear Nos. This last sentence makes you sound like Chris Tookey, formerly of the Daily Mail.
Old 31st January 2015, 09:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Oh dear Nos. This last sentence makes you sound like Chris Tookey, formerly of the Daily Mail.
Oh no!

Sorry, but I hated the overall classism and sexism, which really did leave a sour taste.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st January 2015, 10:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

12 Years a Slave

6/10.

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by this film.
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.
Old 31st January 2015, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Oh no!

Sorry, but I hated the overall classism and sexism, which really did leave a sour taste.
What's wrong with being classy and sexy...
Old 1st February 2015, 08:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Dream Demon.

Before wailing "Ain't no doubt" & topping the charts,Jimmy Nail starred alongside Timothy spall & Jemma Redgrave in this sadly underrated & unseen Brit Horror.

Redgrave is due to be married to a top brass,she has a nightmare where she literally knocks his block off at the alter,so beginning a cycle of nasty nightmares,Timothy spall is a pain in the arse reporter in her reality & a demonic deviant reporter in her nightmares.

She has a nightmare about spall getting gruesomely killed then he disappears in real life,are her nightmares premonitions?

Jimmy Nail wants to find his fellow journalist & stalks Redgrave so as spall haunts her nights Nail haunts her days. Her odd "new" American friend may not have just arrived in her life by chance?

This import VHS TO DVD conversion from the Palace label VHS release is actually surprisingly good & the PQ & audio are only slightly below a genuine DVD release's quality. 9/10

Cabin By The Lake

Judd Nelson Plays a Psycho (that's never happened before) This time he plays Stanley a movie script writer for Horror films,he has a whinging agent who is never happy no matter what he does,so he decides to get a "first hand" experience on how the killer in his latest movie may act & feel drowning young women & weifghing them down at the bottom of the local lake before visiting the corpses regularly to re-arrange them into a "garden" of underwater corpses. A throughly enjoyable film sadly again not seen by enough people 9/10

Nature of the beast aka Hatchet Man

Lance Henriksen & Eric Roberts are both dodgy characters on the road on the run,they have something to hide one of them is a vicious serial killer who kills people along the USA highways,but which? and what does the other have to hide? The Fantastic Brion James has a cameo too playing a good guy for a change! as the local cop 7/10
Old 1st February 2015, 08:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
What's wrong with being classy and sexy...
Is that a This is Spinal Tap reference?

Like this? Share it using the links below!