Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2015, 06:42 AM
Cult Addict

Crucible of Terror.

Likely lad James Bolam is an Art dealer with some cash flow problems, he notices the work of one reclusive artist named Victor clare seems to be very popular, especially a lifelike Bronze work of a naked woman. The Bronze rouses particular interest from his patron who begins frothing at the mouth with rage discovering its been sold. Not to worry however as he heads back that night to nick it and a black gloved killer suffocates him with a plastic bag.
Meanwhile Bolam heads out with a few of his friends including the Artists son played by Ronald Lacey (memorable as the Nazi with the scarred hand in Raiders of the lost Ark) to Clare's studio. Clare (played by ex-pirate radio, radio 1 dj, oculist, sculptor and eventual sheep farmer Mike Raven) is something of an oddball, a letch to anything female (including his sons wife) narcissistic and abusive its pretty clear his lifelike bronze was made from a real woman house of wax style, the model being Me Me Lai.
Pretty soon the killer is striking again and everyone at the remote cornish farm house seems to be in danger from an anonymous killer.

Crucible is best remembered by me for its frequent late night appearances on British telly. So much so I only remembered parts because I was usually falling asleep due to it usually screening somewhere around midnight to two in the morning. Finally, courtesy of a decent release from severin films I've managed to sit through the whole film. It's an odd and flawed film to be sure. Raven is a very strange presence through the film and its clear why his voice was over-dubbed for Lust for a vampire. His voice is a little high pitched and does not really come across as sinister, however his character still gives the film a sleazy and lecherous charm. The overall tone of the film is surprisingly oppressive and ominous and adds a very strange Gothic atmosphere to rural Cornwall. The ending is bizarre and adds a supernatural twist from left-field that jars slightly with what at this point had been essentially a British slasher picture with Giallo-esque overtones.

Nonetheless, in spite of its flaws and oddities I really like the film, its good solid fun with some entertaining kills and is well worth watching.
Old 6th May 2015, 11:10 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Crucible of Terror.
A very underrated film. I really like it. Is the Severin disc widescreen as my UK release isn't?

The beach murder scene is quite disturbing in my opinion.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th May 2015, 02:30 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Surf Nazis Must Die (1987)

Oh dear! The only bit of enjoyment i got out of Surf Nazis was reading the band names grafitied on the walls - Sabbath, Van Halen, Rush - and noticing a boom mic come into view at the 1 hr 7 min mark.

It's a travesty of a film. Lifeless, plotless, deadly dull with countless scenes of stock footage of surfing, and unforgivable non-existent characterization. It's not even fun. I'm sure some will love this film but it did absolutely nothing for me.

Surf Nazis Must Die? Surf Nazis have died...don't bother exhuming them.
It is just terrible. The best thing about that movie is the name.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Vipp like this.
Old 6th May 2015, 02:41 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Surf Nazis Must Die (1987)

Oh dear! The only bit of enjoyment i got out of Surf Nazis was reading the band names grafitied on the walls - Sabbath, Van Halen, Rush - and noticing a boom mic come into view at the 1 hr 7 min mark.

It's a travesty of a film. Lifeless, plotless, deadly dull with countless scenes of stock footage of surfing, and unforgivable non-existent characterization. It's not even fun. I'm sure some will love this film but it did absolutely nothing for me.

Surf Nazis Must Die? Surf Nazis have died...don't bother exhuming them.
I remember loving this years ago when I saw it on Bravo so when arrow announced it I had to have it to say I was disappointed is an understatement. Nothing happens can't even say I'll give it ago again something because I don't think I could. At some point in the film there are a lovely pair of boobs in a bikini so for that it's a 1/10
Old 6th May 2015, 04:02 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
A very underrated film. I really like it. Is the Severin disc widescreen as my UK release isn't?

The beach murder scene is quite disturbing in my opinion.
The Severin release is widescreen and fully uncut from a rare uncut 35mm print apparently. It looks great.

crucible01.jpg crucible02.jpg

cricible03.jpg crucible04.jpg

crucible 05.jpg crucible06.jpg

crucible07.jpg
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th May 2015, 04:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Severin release is widescreen and fully uncut from a rare uncut 35mm print apparently. It looks great.
Thanks K.

I'll pick up the Severin release when i'm ready to watch it again. It's not that long since i last saw it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th May 2015, 06:26 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched the adorable rubbish that is American Ninja 2: The Confrontation.
Have to say i prefer the first but its still great fun. Steve James in the bar fight is hilarious. There are some ridiculous bit in this one but somehow it all holds together.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 6th May 2015, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the commander View Post
i saw silent running.
not sure it was the best film ever or even that i will ever see it again but it was certianly unique. i would DEFINATLY say silent running is cult. i dont think ive ever heard of silent running outside of these fourms. under the skin isnt really cult but id say that it was an amazing film. mostly im just looking for something unique.id say id go for something closser to silent running then any of the other things you mentioned.
You should check out Love, I found that to be quite a beautiful sci-fi, thoroughly enjoyed it.
keirarts and Vipp like this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th May 2015, 09:41 PM
Cult Addict

It Follows.

After losing her cherry to her new BF, a young girl finds she's been cursed by something. Gradually she tries to find ways of lifting the curse while whatever the f&%$ it is follows. It follows mixes the eerie panaglide style and synth soundtrack of Carpenter with a tale of the supernatural that has more in common with M.R James or Algernon Blackwood.

The real beauty of the film is that it refuses to explain its monster, which is something more primal, perhaps the guilt that follows a person after they have sex the first time. Its a creature that can stroll up in broad daylight with an eerie menace that I haven't seen in a while.

Its been good for horror recently with this, The Babadook and Occulus coming out. Personally I rate this higher than those two.
Old 6th May 2015, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It Follows.
That's the one with the girl from The Guest isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing this. Your review whets the appetite K.

Like this? Share it using the links below!