All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181797Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2015, 12:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Silent Partner.1978.Daryl Duke.Based on the novel Think Of A Number by Anders Bodelsen a seemingly underrated crime film,which has'nt had a UK DVD release yet and sparodically shown on terrestrial TV back in 80s,Its that beast of a film which puts its hero played by the great Elliot Gould thru the ringer while being stalked by a very wicked Christopher Plummer who plays a very brutal villain with a fetish for head crushing and murder by fish tank.The plot is original and compelling and tight and would make a great double freature with the wonderful Long Goodbye.

The Hot Rock.1972 Peter Yates.The director of Bullit gives us a more sedate crime film with Robert Redford and George Segal as a pair of jewel thiefs.A superior crime caper movie with lots of plot twists as the gang bungle there way from one disaster to another.Redford and Segal are so cool and make a fun double act (maybe Paul Newman was busy that week)and are really likeable characters.Watch out for the initial robbery where they try to get into a glass case,its excruiating frustrating as they lose there grip on glass surface.

Straight Time.1978 ULU Grosbard.Dustin Hoffman seemingly could do no wrong during the late 60s, 70s and early 80s with Midnight Cowboy,Little Big Man,Straw Dogs,Marathon Man and this the story of a newly released criminal based on the Eddie Bunker book No Beast So Fierce.Hoffman's character on the outside seems laid back and laconic but bubbling under the surface he's volatile man, which his sweaty and sleazy parole officer played by M Emmet Walsh soon finds out when he's de-bagged and handcuffed to a central reservation of a free-way.Featuring a slew of great american character actors such as Harry Dean Statton,Theresa Russell,Gary Busey and an unrecognisable Kathy Bates.

Across 110th Street.1972 Barry Shear.Made famous by Mr Tarantino for using the theme song in his film Jackie Brown,to be honest I hadn't watched it or in fact had been aware of it until I had seen JB,so thank you Mr QT for that at least.Compared to alot of the Blackploitation movies that followed this is a very volatile and hateful filled film.Neither the police headed by Anthony Quinn (who was also the executive producer) and Yaphet Kotto are portrayed in a good light and the rather nasty and violent Mafia boss played by Anthony (Tenrbrae)Franciosa is like almost every mafia caricature rolled into one.In fact the only real characters that gain any sympathy are the gang pull of a heist of Mafia money in Harlem,who find themselves being hunted by both sides.The stereotypical portrayals on all sides whether there black or Italian are cranked up to 11,and if your at all PC you could be easily offended by its lazy stereotyping,but putting that to one side its a violent crazy film.

Marathon Man.1976.John Schlesinger
.Marathon Man is one of those dark twist thrillers that could only of come out of the 70's.Based on the William Goldman novel we see Laurence Olivier play nazi fugitive Szell a kind of dentist from hell.The film is made famous for its" Is it safe" scene between Olivier and Dustin Hoffman but I think its Roy Scheider as a diamond courier and Wiliam Devane as a corrupt agent who really steal the film from under the noses of its main stars.Scheider has a terrific fight scene with an assassin and its his character you really engage with rather than Hoffmans.And Devane is his usual suave but slightly untrustworthy self.But Olivier Nazi dentist is still formidable villain and he gives a really nice quiet but chilling portrayal.
Four firm favourites of mine in here but, I must say, THE HOT ROCK is one that had escaped me before reading your post and I've ordered it.
Old 25th May 2015, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Fairytale (2012)

Following a traumatic car crash, a single mum and her young daughter move into a new house. As the child starts to lose her baby teeth she begins telling her mother fanciful tales of nightly visits by the tooth fairy. Events spiral into the stuff of nightmares as the house they are now living in holds a sinister past.

Fairytale was a very effective chiller for forty minutes. A storyline shrouded in mystery and showcasing an impressive ghostly tooth fairy, it had me gripped at times.

However it all fell away following this and took us out of the haunted house scenario and into a hospital for the next twenty minutes where it all turned a bit Exorcist II with cat scans and medical procedures that dissipated any tension and became rather dull until the final ten minutes or so. It was certainly an unexpected left turn for the script but not a welcome one.

A real shame as it seemed as if it was a film to put Italian fright fests back on the map during the opening half. Far better than the majority of rentaghost bore fests currently coming out of Hollywood.

A wasted opportunity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairytale-01.jpg (101.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 25th May 2015, 05:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Obsession (2009)

I watched this on Netflix and it's not as bad as everyone claims. Idris Elba plays a manager that gets moved to a new job that needs his help. His name is Derek Charles and he is married to Sharon (Beyoncé). While at work he meets an office temp called Lisa (Ali Larter) that begins to have a crush on him. From there she tries to have an affair and when he pushes her away, the fireworks begin.

I had been reading the reviews on this thriller for quite some time and most of them said it was bad and should not watch this, and I being thick believed most of them because how many can say a film is shit without being wrong.

Well, I quite liked it and there was two things that really annoyed me (and the last one I write about will send me into a rage induced rant),

1) Beyoncé can't act - she isn't Will Smith, and with her limited acting skills she shouldn't have even tried acting..... in anything)

2) Beyoncé's character - she had a "talk to the hand" attitude and refusal of both characters to STFU long enough to hear an explanation, She was rude even before things went bad, just because she was his temp. I mean, I can be jealous too, but you don't have to be rude, especially when Ali's character appeared harmless. She was totally unreasonable and never let Derek get in a word edgewise to explain himself. Her ranting just shut him out.

Other then that I liked the film and it was a pretty decent thriller that can be bought cheap on Blu now
Old 25th May 2015, 06:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Perfect Sense (2011)

An unknown virus is spreading throughout the world. Firstly attacking it's victims with grief, followed by the loss of their sense of smell. As the loss of one sense leads to another the film follows two people (Ewan McGregor & Eva Green) in Glasgow who bond through a chance meeting and form a relationship which they try and work round the virus.

I went into Perfect Sense blind if you'll pardon the pun. Only picking it up seeing as it starred the lovely Eva Green. I knew it was a sci-fi thriller but wasn't sure if it involved mutants, zombies or any of the typical viral outbreak traits...

...it doesn't.

Perfect Sense is a brilliant film which puts the viewer through the emotional wringer. Many scenes are quite amusing, much of it seems very realistic and heartwarming then part way through you realise that the virus doesn't stop with the loss of smell, taste comes next. The film is so thought provoking, carefully examining the sense of losing the things we take for granted as to be brilliantly scary even though it's clear what the final denouement will be. When it comes, it's portrayed so well by McGregor and Green, and brilliantly directed and scripted that it's gut-wrenchingly agonizing to watch and such a thoroughly downbeat climax as to make Cannibal Holocaust feel like a rom-com.

I can't remember the last time i loved and loathed a film with equal amounts of desperation, and yet was as thoroughly engrossed in a movie with such a predictable final scene of futility.

Perfect Sense really is a film to be savored.

Superb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perfect-sense_quad.jpg (88.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 25th May 2015, 06:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Perfect Sense (2011)

An unknown virus is spreading throughout the world. Firstly attacking it's victims with grief, followed by the loss of their sense of smell. As the loss of one sense leads to another the film follows two people (Ewan McGregor & Eva Green) in Glasgow who bond through a chance meeting and form a relationship which they try and work round the virus.

I went into Perfect Sense blind if you'll pardon the pun. Only picking it up seeing as it starred the lovely Eva Green. I knew it was a sci-fi thriller but wasn't sure if it involved mutants, zombies or any of the typical viral outbreak traits...

...it doesn't.

Perfect Sense is a brilliant film which puts the viewer through the emotional wringer. Many scenes are quite amusing, much of it seems very realistic and heartwarming then part way through you realise that the virus doesn't stop with the loss of smell, taste comes next. The film is so thought provoking, carefully examining the sense of losing the things we take for granted as to be brilliantly scary even though it's clear what the final denouement will be. When it comes, it's portrayed so well by McGregor and Green, and brilliantly directed and scripted that it's gut-wrenchingly agonizing to watch and such a thoroughly downbeat climax as to make Cannibal Holocaust feel like a rom-com.

I can't remember the last time i loved and loathed a film with equal amounts of desperation, and yet was as thoroughly engrossed in a movie with such a predictable final scene of futility.

Perfect Sense really is a film to be savored.

Superb.
Did you cry? I know I will watching this
Old 25th May 2015, 06:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Did you cry? I know I will watching this
No. It wasn't that sense of desperation.
Old 25th May 2015, 06:59 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
As beautifully shot Massacre Gun is at points i feel Retaliation has deeper and more interesting themes (which are complimented by its grittier and more realistic feel) The contrast between the old yakuza order and the new Yakuza thugs of the rival gang is mirrored in the sub-plot about the farmers and the yakuza's association with the factory owners - just look at the shot of the farmer smoking a cigarette like the yakuza gangsters after they accept the land deal. Basically this theme of tradition being violently replaced runs throughout the film. It also is nearly as well shot as Massacre Gun at points.
whats that film that everyone but you thinks is shit but you like again?

oh hai mark
Old 25th May 2015, 08:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by the commander View Post
whats that film that everyone but you thinks is shit but you like again?
I don't think it was Necropolis (1987) but I will go with that anyway, can't remember for the life of me
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th May 2015, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The American President (1995)

If i say The West Wing, then you will know automatically if The American President is worthy of your time.

Written by that classic shows creator Aaron Sorkin, this is an inspiration for the long running series starring Martin Sheen as President Jed Bartlett. Sheen incidentally is in this as the White House Chief of Staff. Sorkin used many names from this film and incorporated them into The West Wing as he also did with the sets. Many political issues from the film also cropped up during the shows 8 year stint on tv.

The film itself is part rom-com, part political drama, starring Michael Douglas and Annette Benning, and if i refer to my opening line - If you like The West Wing then you'll like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_American_President_(movie_poster).jpg (22.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 25th May 2015, 10:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Devil In A Blue Dress (1995)

Carl Franklin (who i just learned is one of many who initially worked under Corman) knocks it outta the park again with great performances by everyone involved. Wish this was on UK Blu as with One False Move but don't see it happening. Its a travesty i hadn't even heard of him a week ago, such a great director it seems!

9/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!