Old 10th January 2016, 04:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Master (2012)

59/100
Without Roger Delgado in it i wouldn't have been so generous.
Old 10th January 2016, 06:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Whilst very well-acted it was a little dull at times and overly long to the extent that I found myself 'clock-watching' in places - an equivalent of a 6/10 score is far from a dud by my way of thinking though. I also recently watched Inherent Vice, which although attracted a higher score (the equivalent of 7/10) from me also seemed lower than the general majority of folks who have watched it. I have yet to see a post-2000 PTA film that has really wowed me... although There Will Be Blood did come close.
I was gripped by The Master, due to the compelling characters, utterly bizarre situations, and (possibly intentional) similarities to Scientology. It's one I keep meaning to buy but haven't yet done so, probably because I'm always playing catch up with my watchlist and buying other things compulsively.

Inherent Vice was extremely weird, but in a good way, and I probably need to watch it a couple of times on consecutive days to figure out what exactly is going on!

I found There Will Be Blood to be a mesmerising film with great performances, incredible cinematography and, from Jonny Greenwood, one of the best soundtracks this century. I saw it at the cinema and absolutely loved it, and have seen it probably five times since, taking something new from the film each time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 06:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452455059.854922.jpg

7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452454466.145665.jpg

7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452454482.386723.jpg

5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452454497.936878.jpg

8/10

Tonight's viewing will be these two which I've not seen before

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452454537.939063.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452454557.624493.jpg
Old 10th January 2016, 06:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I was gripped by The Master, due to the compelling characters, utterly bizarre situations, and (possibly intentional) similarities to Scientology. It's one I keep meaning to buy but haven't yet done so, probably because I'm always playing catch up with my watchlist and buying other things compulsively.

Inherent Vice was extremely weird, but in a good way, and I probably need to watch it a couple of times on consecutive days to figure out what exactly is going on!

I found There Will Be Blood to be a mesmerising film with great performances, incredible cinematography and, from Jonny Greenwood, one of the best soundtracks this century. I saw it at the cinema and absolutely loved it, and have seen it probably five times since, taking something new from the film each time.
I get the feeling (at least in the case of The Master and Inherent Vice) that he is trying too hard to be weird though. It comes across as rather forced... at least to me.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I didn't find The Master and Inherent Vice any weirder than than the source material, in fact both are quite restrained compared to Pynchon's novel and that 'religion'. Barring Magnolia, which I found self important and melodramatic, I've enjoyed all of PT Anderson's films, especially Punch-Drunk Love.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
I didn't find The Master and Inherent Vice any weirder than than the source material, in fact both are quite restrained compared to Pynchon's novel and that 'religion'. Barring Magnolia, which I found self important and melodramatic, I've enjoyed all of PT Anderson's films, especially Punch-Drunk Love.
Punch Drunk Love is the only Adam Sandler film I like; I consider it a minor masterpiece.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
I've never sampled the source material of either so cannot comment, however speaking as someone who has seen weird films from all over the 'strangeness spectrum' PTA's methods of portraying the more bizarre aspects in his films felt like a sledgehammer to the skull at times. Like I say though, it could just be me (or the source material) rather than PTA himself.

My favourite of his remains the phenomenal Boogie Nights. I do really rate Magnolia though despite its shortcomings.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've never sampled the source material of either so cannot comment, however speaking as someone who has seen weird films from all over the 'strangeness spectrum' PTA's methods of portraying the more bizarre aspects in his films felt like a sledgehammer to the skull at times. Like I say though, it could just be me (or the source material) rather than PTA himself.
Couldn't you level the same charge at David Lynch or David Cronenberg? Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Dune, Lost Highway, Naked Lunch, Shivers, The Brood, Videodrome,, Scanners etc. are all 'weird' films.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Couldn't you level the same charge at David Lynch or David Cronenberg? Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire, Dune, Lost Highway, Naked Lunch, Shivers, The Brood, Videodrome,, Scanners etc. are all 'weird' films.
Yes, but the weirdness doesn't seem forced. I think it just comes down to a personal taste thing as I'm sure there are many people who could very well launch those same criticisms at Cronenberg, Lynch, et al.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th January 2016, 07:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

La Grande Bouffe (1973)

82/100

Like this? Share it using the links below!