Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181763Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Chanbara Beauty - This should have been great with a story involving sexy young Japanese women with swords fighting zombies. Sadly it wasn't. Bit of a snoozefest in fact.

Feast - Creature feature with a high gore threshold and a nice line in black humour. Shame most of the action is so undercranked it just looks shakey and annoying rather than adding to the tension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chanbara Beauty.jpg (6.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Feast.jpg (7.7 KB, 1 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:10 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Feast - Creature feature with a high gore threshold and a nice line in black humour.
FEAST is great... and the fine sequels (Sloppy Seconds and Happy Finish) mean that trilogy adds up to some crazily surreal fun.
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Wrestler - I thought this film was great, Mickey Rourke was very real and believable, you could tell so much personal emotions were poured into his character. I've loved all of Aronofsky's work and this was no exception, so different for him but still brilliant. Touching, depressing yet charming all in one. Films as raw as this sometimes don't quite cut it but this one was memorable and unique. Check it out.

Down in the Valley - This starts as a romance but soon descends into dark places. Edward Norton perfects the "I'm so charming that it's creepy" bloke in this, he spends the entire film so calm and collective that it actually put's you on edge. He's so unpredictable. All in all very well made and a great turn from all the cast. Worth watching indeed.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Nick Love's 'remake' of Alan Clarke's classic THE FIRM as well last night.

New face,Paul Anderson,in the BEX role,is I'm afraid,no Gary Oldman,who made,(And always does) a terrifying nutter.
Lifting lines of dialogue straight from the original it's an entertaining enough no-brainer if you like this sort of thing.
However,when you recall Oldman and Phillip Davis's performances in the original,the new players sort of fall flat on their faces.

Not as violent or disturbing as Clarke's classic,I had higher hopes for this....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th February 2010, 02:25 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Deep Throat (full uncut version)

The film that set the ball (and many other balls) rolling. Filmwise it's exactly what you expect it to be, only with some surprisingly laugh-out-loud dialogue and scenes. A far cry from the genuinely disturbing and unpleasant Behind The Green Door.

"What's a nice joint like you doing in a girl like this?"
Old 4th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Brian De Palmer's Phantom Of the Paradise, and thoroughly enjoyed it, i hate Rocky Horror Show, and think this one's better, very entertaining and some fantastic music.
Old 4th February 2010, 02:52 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Managed to see Daybreakers with my Horror Society at uni and really enjoyed it. A very inventive and innovative take on the vampire genre, full of social commentary (but subtly done, unlike Romero's latest zombie films IMO). Don't let the 15 certificate fool you either - there's plenty of gore and decapitated heads.

I'll give it a 4/5
Old 4th February 2010, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I much prefer Phantom too. Rocky Horror is an incredibly overrated film in my opinion.
Old 4th February 2010, 04:08 PM
Cult Rookie

Recently finished The Bronx Warriors which were all excellent.

Although not movies, I've been watching Banned In America which is pretty much just snippets of other Mondo movies pasted together for a 45 minute watch.
Nice to finally see the Budd Dwyer footage uninterrupted.
Old 4th February 2010, 06:57 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Deep Throat (full uncut version)

The film that set the ball (and many other balls) rolling. Filmwise it's exactly what you expect it to be, only with some surprisingly laugh-out-loud dialogue and scenes. A far cry from the genuinely disturbing and unpleasant Behind The Green Door.
Nice. We all know about it of course and I've seen clips, but I have a dvd-r dupe of "Deep Throat" and have yet to watch it fully.
But I agree on the excellent "Behind the Green Door". It's dark and genuinely erotic...crazed out cum shot and all.

I still have "Debbie does Dallas" and "The Devil in Miss Jones" to watch fully as well.

Like this? Share it using the links below!