All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180649Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2016, 08:42 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is the sequel any good?
I liked it, although the reviews were divisive.

It hasn't quite got the punch of Stone's first film but I still found it quite frightening, it's quite good at highlighting how much we're at the mercy of these people and Douglas is fantastic again.

Working on the outskirts of the industry I love most films related to finance so I probably enjoyed it more than most.
Old 24th November 2016, 08:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
In Bed With Madonna (1991)
I watched this recently, but it's one of my favourites and I have seen it many times, perhaps I have an almost rose tinted view of it. I like seeing how bratty she is, I like seeing her tantrums and diva turns. It would have been a bit more rounded if it featured more about the dancers, many of whom she picked out of the drag clubs in New York and therefore must have had some good stories to tell. If you have seen the documentary called Paris is Burning, they essentially came from the same circle of people as depicted in that film. If you haven't seen that I'd say to check it out, it is rather niche though so maybe you should read some reviews about it rather than blind buying it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th November 2016, 08:44 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Best of the Best (1989)

*** out of *****

keirarts likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 24th November 2016, 08:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched this recently, but it's one of my favourites and I have seen it many times, perhaps I have an almost rose tinted view of it. I like seeing how bratty she is, I like seeing her tantrums and diva turns.
It wouldn't be her without the brattiness and diva turns, i agree. Although some of it makes for uncomfortable viewing at times. I often thought 'Does she want to turn people off her with this doc?' but as usual for Madonna it all worked in her favour in a coolly calculated way.

I have I'm Going to Tell You a Secret as well, had it for several years. I might watch that tonight. Is it any good?
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th November 2016, 08:57 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
It wouldn't be her without the brattiness and diva turns, i agree. Although some of it makes for uncomfortable viewing at times. I often thought 'Does she want to turn people off her with this doc?' but as usual for Madonna it all worked in her favour in a coolly calculated way.

I have I'm Going to Tell You a Secret as well, had it for several years. I might watch that tonight. Is it any good?
I don't know to be honest, I thought that I had it, it came with one of her live albums if I remember right, but I have the other live album that came with the concert film and not the documentary... Funnily enough, it was after watching Truth or Dare that I tried to find it in my collection too

Old 24th November 2016, 09:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I don't know to be honest, I thought that I had it, it came with one of her live albums if I remember right, but I have the other live album that came with the concert film and not the documentary... Funnily enough, it was after watching Truth or Dare that I tried to find it in my collection too
Mine is in a dvd sized case with the live cd. Rather than the other way round if that's any help. Directed by Jonas Akerlund (Satyricon - Fuel for Hatred) so it should be good.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th November 2016, 09:10 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Mine is in a dvd sized case with the live cd. Rather than the other way round if that's any help. Directed by Jonas Akerlund (Satyricon - Fuel for Hatred) so it should be good.
Yeah I just found that version on MM with my 20% code paid £1.35, I'll watch it next week

I like Jonas, did you see that film he made, Spun? crazy movie

Old 24th November 2016, 09:14 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
I liked it, although the reviews were divisive.

It hasn't quite got the punch of Stone's first film but I still found it quite frightening, it's quite good at highlighting how much we're at the mercy of these people and Douglas is fantastic again.

Working on the outskirts of the industry I love most films related to finance so I probably enjoyed it more than most.
I also enjoyed Money Never Sleeps, which benefited from the clever updating and pointing out how much hasn't changed since the 1980s. There was also a very good 'who can you trust?' subplot about Gordon Gecko and other bankers/financiers/speculators, making you realise how much the average person – and the world as a whole – is at the mercy of speculation about currencies and stocks and shares.
Old 24th November 2016, 09:16 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I just found that version on MM with my 20% code paid £1.35, I'll watch it next week

I like Jonas, did you see that film he made, Spun? crazy movie
Yes, i really like that. Not seen it in years though. Might go with that tonight rather than the other doc.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 24th November 2016, 09:17 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I also enjoyed Money Never Sleeps, which benefited from the clever updating and pointing out how much hasn't changed since the 1980s. There was also a very good 'who can you trust?' subplot about Gordon Gecko and other bankers/financiers/speculators, making you realise how much the average person – and the world as a whole – is at the mercy of speculation about currencies and stocks and shares.
Further to this, have you all seen 'The Big Short' which came out earlier this year, not quite the same thing as Wall Street or it's sequel, but about how a few bankers knew something was about to give and rather than do something about it, made a load of money off the back of it instead.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!