Recently watched Session 9 and Return of the Living Dead III
Old 23rd March 2010, 08:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
Recently watched Session 9 and Return of the Living Dead III
I love Session 9 re.form - what did you think of it?
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:58 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
Return of the Living Dead III
This was my favourite of the series.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Session 9 is a classic.
Full of atmosphere and dread
One of the best psychological horrors I have seen.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th March 2010, 11:47 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Pink Floyd: The Wall

The film that inspired many of my school generation to yell "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone" (before running rapidly down the next corridor to escape). You don't have to be a Pink Floyd aficionado to appreciate this (I'm only a fan of their early Syd Barrett years) but either way this nightmarish, nihilistic movie stays with you long after you've seen it. I first 'experienced' it back in 1982 on the cinema, and left feeling as if I'd been hit by a very large train.

The 'AA' rating at the time was remarkably lenient, given the quite graphic violence, sexual footage (including hints of oral sex and a brief glimpse of lower female nudity during a sex scene), self mutilation (Geldof wincingly razoring his chest and hacking his eyebrows off), and a brief but nasty sexual assault scene (a woman being forcibly stripped topless). Even today it's a remarkably powerful film though it leaves you feeling physically drained. There's no humour or light relief in this film whatsoever, and even Gerald Scarfe's outstanding (and equally bloody/sexual) animations contain images that stay with you for a long time. For me this was more horrific than most horror films at that time.

Bob Geldof is mesmerising as Pink. Even though his lines are limited to mumbled dialogue (as are everyones) and one song (In The Flesh), you can't take your eyes off him. Especially his unforgettable hotel trashing scene ("Take that, f***ers!"). Sharp eyed viewers will spot Bob Hoskins as Geldof's agent, former Boney star James Laurenson as his father, Philip Davis & Gary Olsen as roadies, a young Joanne Whalley as a short-skirted groupie, and even Floyd maestro Roger Waters himself at Geldof's wedding.

An awesome movie that has to be experienced at least once. You wouldn't want to do it too often.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:54 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Pink Floyd: The Wall

The film that inspired many of my school generation to yell "Hey teacher, leave those kids alone" (before running rapidly down the next corridor to escape). You don't have to be a Pink Floyd aficionado to appreciate this (I'm only a fan of their early Syd Barrett years) but either way this nightmarish, nihilistic movie stays with you long after you've seen it. I first 'experienced' it back in 1982 on the cinema, and left feeling as if I'd been hit by a very large train.

The 'AA' rating at the time was remarkably lenient, given the quite graphic violence, sexual footage (including hints of oral sex and a brief glimpse of lower female nudity during a sex scene), self mutilation (Geldof wincingly razoring his chest and hacking his eyebrows off), and a brief but nasty sexual assault scene (a woman being forcibly stripped topless). Even today it's a remarkably powerful film though it leaves you feeling physically drained. There's no humour or light relief in this film whatsoever, and even Gerald Scarfe's outstanding (and equally bloody/sexual) animations contain images that stay with you for a long time. For me this was more horrific than most horror films at that time.

Bob Geldof is mesmerising as Pink. Even though his lines are limited to mumbles (as are everyones) and one song (In The Flesh) you can't take your eyes off him. Sharp eyed viewers will spot Bob Hoskins as Geldof's agent, former Boney star James Laurenson as his father, Philip Davis & Gary Olsen as roadies, a young Joanne Whalley as a short-skirted groupie, and even Floyd maestro Roger Waters himself at Geldof's wedding.

An awesome movie that has to be experienced at least once. You wouldn't want to do it too often.

I've been meaning to see that film for ages now, Vince. Just never gotten around to it. I swear it was on TV not long ago.

The album is incredible and easily one of my favs - "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!!"

Last night I watched Fulci's Conquest - a very enjoyable film, VERY strange but a lot of fun nonetheless. Violent chewbaccas, a naked woman who gets sexual pleasure from a snake and of course ZOMBIES! What more could you ask for?!
Old 24th March 2010, 12:16 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
The album is incredible and easily one of my favs - "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!!"
Those lines are in the film too. The teacher is brilliantly played by Alex McAvoy.

I bought The Wall album back in 1980 (most of my lot did) though I was never a huge fan of it. Much preferred Floyd's psychedelic days. Even Geldof himself admits to not being a fan, which makes his performance even more credible. The film was (and is) so startling an experience that even non-fans of the album tend to revisit it though.

It sure ain't Abba: The Movie.
Old 24th March 2010, 05:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I heard that Roger Waters wasn't exactly overjoyed with what Alan Parker did with the film. I remember seeing it at the cinema when it first came out and it was a mind blowing experience. It was quadrophonic sound if I remember correctly. (Before the days of surround sound.)

Vampire Killer Barbys - Not good. Not good at all. The longer it went on the more my brain began to melt. Sex, violence, more sex and gore galore...... but it still bored me beyond belief and the dub sync was terrible too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vampire Killer Barbys.jpg (8.6 KB, 1 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 24th March 2010, 07:42 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
It's worth watching this movie based on the sound design alone - the audio from the old tape recordings is one of the best things I've come across in a movie in quite a while. Brilliant. (They rest of the movie is great as well, btw!)
Old 24th March 2010, 07:46 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
This was my favourite of the series.
Mine too. I love the first two for a larf, but this one is funny and weirdly, manages to be kind of semi-serious. (I think, anyway...all that self mutilation and doomed romance )

I like alot of Brian Yuzna's movies. Society and the Re-animator sequels being faves, but this one is a not so guilty pleasure.

Like this? Share it using the links below!