Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2020, 03:30 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Manhunter.jpg

Will Graham is plucked back out of retirement when a new serial killer is on the loose nicknamed the tooth fairy. Will Graham is an FBI profiler putting himself inside the minds of a killer after examining crimes scenes. He is a little too good at his job and this is the reason why he is in early retirement after past dealings with Hannibal Lecter drove him crazy and landed him in a mental institute. This new case will not only put him at risk but his family.

It's been a long time since i last saw this and i forgot just how good no great this film actually is. Shot with so much style the lighting the colours the buildings even down to the colours of clothing all fits perfectly with a great soundtrack wrapping it all up into a beautiful package.

Can't help mention the book when that's what this is based upon but this for me definitely stands alone so no need for comparison.

8/10
Old 4th February 2020, 03:35 PM
Cult Addict

After watching the Suspiria remake the other night i decided to re read my original review on here and it's interesting to me that i liked the film slightly more on rewatch.
I knew what to expect and just went along with the film, not really comparing it to the original as much.

I adjusted the review slightly and bunged it on my letterboxd page seeing as i don't have the motivation to review much on here these days, as i tend to waffle on a bit once i get started.

Also the other night i had a long chat on the phone with a mate from school and we ended up discussing our favourite horror films, which was nice.

This led to me revising my personal top 100 horror list on letterboxd.
Here's a link if anyone wants a butchers.

https://letterboxd.com/nosferatu42/l...-horror-films/

There's also 100 - 200 and 200 - 300 lists although they need sorting more. ( i got a bit carried away)
Still pretty sure i've missed a load of stuff.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th February 2020, 03:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Tony (2011, Gerard Johnson)

This was a nice little find. A loner barely manages to keep his head above water, what with snide DSS staff and the local "hard man" on his case on top of everything.
How his coping mechanism interferes with his social interactions is a small wonder to behold. Economical (75 min if that) and even if I can't reaaally call it the UK Henry after all, I'll have a bloody good try! Come on then!

Recommended!
I bought this film last year when I found out the music was by The The my favourite band. People say well you should know that if favourite band, well yes but tbh around 2000 ish when I first slowly started with my depression etc, I lost interest with anything and everything and since then I've been like that and don't learn or follow (bands, people etc ) as much as I should do, and odd days when I get down I just struggle with everything. Hence my previous post about me not watching many films, like most people with depression I have my good days and bad days, but one has to plod on to best of their ability, and I have to be strong because I'm my partners carer .
Old 4th February 2020, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Donovan's Brain 1953 (Kino)

Scientist saves the brain of hateful millionaire. As the brain gains power the millionaire's evil personality takes over the scientist. As Joe Dante points out in Trailers from Hell, it's unusual for the period, to have a capitalist villain, which makes this stand out from the usual commie bashing crowd. Lew Ayres is excellent in a dual personality role, the B&W photography is sharp and the film has interesting characters. Very light on action but still kept me interested.
Old 4th February 2020, 07:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Paranormal Activity 6: Ghost Dimension (Gregory Plotkin)

Yeah, you can all stop laughing at the back. I get it, if your franchise makes it this far, all bets are off usually cough Michael. But at least there's a happy ending.
The vaguest whiff of Howard wafts over this, as tis slightly reminiscent of a plot device he was fond of cough Thing On The Doorstep.
Nae that it's any great addition to CINEMA of course.

Plus the initial "eeeeeeek!" bit was somewhat deflated by 'it' looking like shitey game graphics cough.
Ahem. Not recommended.
Watch Noroi instead. It's creepy as flip.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th February 2020, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

a huge robot appears and starts destroying everything in its path , after the military manage to destroy it a UFO appears the aliens on board demand land and also as many women as they want to breed with, this doesn't sit to well with the people of the earth and plans are set in motion to get rid of the intergalactic pervs. 7/10

Now watching

Old 4th February 2020, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Team America: world Police. 2004.

A broadway actor is hired by a counter terrorist unit.

Fom the makers of South Park, you know what to expect, a lot of adult humor, violence and sex and a bunch of celebrities. It does take a bad sense of humor (like most of us have on here) to enjoy this as it can be offensive as this is like Thunderbirds that's not for kids. As much as i laughed and got the hiccups, only one part i didn't like was the broadway song at the start.
Old 4th February 2020, 09:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Team America: world Police. 2004.

only one part i didn't like was the broadway song at the start.
You should watch Rent. I thought the song was funny when I first saw Team America but it was even better when I understood the parody and reference point for that song.
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 4th February 2020, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shogun Assassin. 1980.

A master samurai and his infant son warrior embark on a road of being assassin and hunter by a shogun who is paranoid, while seeking revenge for his wife's murder.

Combined with parts from the Lone Wolf and Cub series, Tomisamburo Wakayama plays the vengeful Lone Wolf who has a hidden cache of other weapons on his son's cart which his son Daigoro uses as well. Robert Houston (bobby from The Hills Have Eyes 1977) done a decent job picking out the best bits seemingly from the series and combining them together with plenty of blood splatter and head splitting sequences and a mixture of weapon fighting.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Shogun Assassin. 1980.

A master samurai and his infant son warrior embark on a road of being assassin and hunter by a shogun who is paranoid, while seeking revenge for his wife's murder.

Combined with parts from the Lone Wolf and Cub series, Tomisamburo Wakayama plays the vengeful Lone Wolf who has a hidden cache of other weapons on his son's cart which his son Daigoro uses as well. Robert Houston (bobby from The Hills Have Eyes 1977) done a decent job picking out the best bits seemingly from the series and combining them together with plenty of blood splatter and head splitting sequences and a mixture of weapon fighting.
All 6 films are masterpieces , I'm now trying to find a way to watch original TV series, Not the manga.
Rob4 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!