Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180815Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2010, 10:13 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I watched Demons again last night. It's one of those film I just never tire of. Is so fun and fast paced, and there's so much over the top gore and craziness, that it's virtually impossible to get bored with.

I think the producers missed a trick with not following on from the first with with a post apocolyptic Demons for the second film.

I would love to see (and would pay money to see) Demons: Apocolypse. It would be set 25 years after the outbreak and follow a small group of suvivors in a hellish Demon filled world.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:25 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
Tried watching the remake of the fog last night and couldn't get past about 30 mins...painful is not the word. I can only assume the remaining hour is as bad.
Your assumption is correct -- it is an utterly abysmal film that makes John Carpenter's seem even better when you see it next!
Old 25th October 2010, 11:35 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Watched Rob Zombie's Halloween II and the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street over the last few days.

While both films were pretty poor and pointless, I have to say that at least Zombie tried to do something a bit different (however rubbish I think it is) with the series. The NOES remake is just pointless. It brings nothing new to the series and just urinates all over everything that made the original so great. The teenagers no longer look or act like real teenagers and they're not remotely likeable, unlike Heather Langenkamp and Johnny Depp in the original. Freddy is not scary either and, while I know this is partly the fault of the many Nightmare sequels, they had a chance to make him dark again but they didn't. Also, the one interesting thing about the narrative that they do seem to change (the idea that Freddy might have been innocent and the kids might have been lying about him) is then quickly quashed and brought back in line with the rest of the films.

Absolute garbage.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:25 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Watched Rob Zombie's Halloween II and the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street over the last few days.
Sarah, did you find it really annoying that Halloween II didnt use John Carpenters iconic theme until the closing credits. In my opinion that omission means it cant really be classified as a Halloween film at all.

Plus the bearded hobo Michael Myers runied the whole idea of the faceless Shape, but I guess you're right he did try to do something original with the franchise. It's just a shame that what he did was so rubbish!

I'm a big fan fo Zombie's first two films, and would much rather have seen him do his own take on the slasher genre than try and remake Halloween.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:47 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I did find the lack of theme music annoying, actually. It was a shocking omission. I also found the bearded Michael to be irritating - although relatively logical bearing in mind Michael had been wandering around for a year, presumably without the opportunity to shave! But it spoiled the illusion of the Shape nonetheless.

I was also annoyed by the fact that Haddonfield is some kind of hick fantasy slum in the Zombie films. the old Halloween films work because they could be in any town, your town. I refuse to believe people actually have bathrooms with "Keep your side clean, bitch." scrawled in red paint on the walls and so it's no longer the "real world" and no longer works.

I will say, despite the rubbishness, that at least Zombie tried. Which is more than can be said for Samuel Bayer.
Old 25th October 2010, 03:28 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have yet to see either of these and, even though they have almost universally negative reviews, still want to see them to make my mind up for myself. I didn't particularly like the first Halloween remake but will still approach the sequel with a fairly open mind.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 25th October 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 25th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbv View Post
Tried watching the remake of the fog last night and couldn't get past about 30 mins...painful is not the word. I can only assume the remaining hour is as bad.
THE FOG remake is hands down the worst remake ever!
Old 26th October 2010, 08:07 PM
Active Cultist

***SPOILERS***

Predators - decent fun, well shot. Miles better than the AvP's. Nothing groundbreaking but far from terrible.

Knight & Day. Excruciatingly turgid mainstream crap in which Tom Cruise comes across like he did that time he was on Oprah. Only more sinister and creepy. Cameron Diaz fares no better by playing a female that only exits in the movie to need saving by the above 'hero' and be stupid enough to get drugged and stripped naked by the plonker. Four times. And this was supposed to be funny?!? An incredibly weird film in the worst sense of the term.

Wise Blood. Brilliant offbeat John Huston film starring Brad Dourif. After watching the above claptrap Dourif's crazed, self-mutilating preacher came across as positively sane and likable.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Maniac...
Don't really see what was so bad about it. But then again, I didn't give it my full attention. Loved the death of Savini though, pretty cool.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched paranormal activity 2..
I thought it wernt to bad havent seen 1st 1.
Id enjoyed it more if some ppl at the back didnt keep shouting random nonsense or the 4 5 girls in front kept screaming at nothing and talking loudly. im Sure 1 of them kept screaming just to get attention because she would scream even if 2 ppl where just randomly talking in the film..

In the end just as it ended she said to her mate i cant believe that scared me, to which i shouted no neither can i so in future stick to watching bambi. 1of her frineds didnt half give me a dirty look....ppl like that at pics realy irritate me,

Like this? Share it using the links below!