Like Tree180818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2023, 02:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BONES AND ALL – It took me a couple of goes to get into the director’s remake of ‘Suspiria’, but ‘Bones And All’ swept me away from the start. It’s about a young woman who, realising her particular ‘gift’ (cannibalism!) isn’t appreciated by society at large , hits the highway to make sense of life through encounters with fellow sufferers. Like its protagonist, the film slips between the cracks – is it a romance, horror, Americana-fixated road movie or an art-house riff on all of the above? It doesn’t matter when a film is this immersive, eerie, moving. Moves from ‘creep out’ to ‘tear jerking’ very swiftly, with maximum stealth; it has more scope and nuance than something like ‘Raw’, that other recentish high-end cannibal flick, and it has more blood and guts than Gregg Araki. I said ‘Enys Men’ was probably going to be my film of the year, but I hadn’t seen ‘Bones And All’ at the time. Another highest recommend.
This sounds really interesting.
Old 17th June 2023, 02:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BONES AND ALL – It took me a couple of goes to get into the director’s remake of ‘Suspiria’, but ‘Bones And All’ swept me away from the start. It’s about a young woman who, realising her particular ‘gift’ (cannibalism!) isn’t appreciated by society at large , hits the highway to make sense of life through encounters with fellow sufferers. Like its protagonist, the film slips between the cracks – is it a romance, horror, Americana-fixated road movie or an art-house riff on all of the above? It doesn’t matter when a film is this immersive, eerie, moving. Moves from ‘creep out’ to ‘tear jerking’ very swiftly, with maximum stealth; it has more scope and nuance than something like ‘Raw’, that other recentish high-end cannibal flick, and it has more blood and guts than Gregg Araki. I said ‘Enys Men’ was probably going to be my film of the year, but I hadn’t seen ‘Bones And All’ at the time. Another highest recommend.
The ending left me quite devastated, I really enjoyed this film! Excellent Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross soundtrack as well.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th June 2023, 02:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Stargate (1994)

Roland Emmerich's cracking sci-fi adventure in which a Stargate, an ancient ring-shaped device that creates a wormhole, enables travel to a similar device elsewhere in the universe. It's through this Stargate that Kurt Russell's Colonel Jack O'Neill leads a US Air Force team along with linguist and Egyptologist Daniel Jackson (James Spader) to see what is at the other end.

I've always enjoyed films fused with Egyptian mythology and Stargate uses it in a tasty sci-fi mix alongside spectacular scenery and FX and a hugely memorable theme from David Arnold.

The idea that the pyramids were built by aliens with the Gods an idea for subjugating the people is used to good effect with the exact same thing happening at the other end of the wormhole

At over two hours the directors cut is perhaps over long but i still find this film very enjoyable and incredibly underrated.

I wonder if anyones thought of using the idea for a series?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stargateposter.jpg (12.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 17th June 2023, 03:01 PM
Cult Master

Chapterfour.jpg

John Wick sets out to get his freedom from the table but with not many friends left who he can trust John must go back to the old rules in order to escape.

At almost 3 house I was thinking this might be a bit overly long action is great but if it's non stop it can get stale in some films and of not done right but here it's amazing every second of it. The actions sequences are long but always fresh and entertaining the film knows when a break is needed for some story telling but these breaks are small and it back into it brilliant. Visually John Wick 4 is amazingly beautiful I know this sounds strange for a film but you can't take your eyes off the screen it's just neon everywhere colour fills the scenes it's just down right gorgeous.

I don't want to get to much into it because many haven't seen it yet but just watch this film for me it's the best in the series and I loved the other.
Old 17th June 2023, 09:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Forced To Kill

A Repo Man is kidnapped and forced to compete in a Bare Knuckle Tournament. Released in 1994, this is one of P/M Entertainment Groups later efforts and whilst it doesn't star any of their regulars from some of their popular Stars, it does star Michael Ironside as a corrupt Sherriff. It's a decent effort but the focuses more on the training and the actual Fighting is a montage, which is disappointing.

American Street Fighter

British Martial Artist Gary Daniels is the titular American Street Fighter and he stars has the big brother of another Street Fighter who has gotten in with a Criminal Group and tries to get him out. In a way it's like Gone In 60 Seconds but with a Martial Arts setting and very bad dubbing. I do like Gary Daniels (The early 90's equivalent of Scott Adkins) but this wasn't his best film.

Showdown In Little Tokyo

Dolph Lundgren and Brandon Lee try to take over a Yakuza Gang led by Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who are trying to takeover Little Tokyo. I've always loved this Film and I've recently acquired the Warner Bros Archive Collection Blu-Ray (But it's not available in the UK, go figure) it's short but there's plenty of Action.

Reservoir Dogs

Another Film I've recently acquired on Blu-Ray and I still enjoyed it, some really good performances but I'm still not sure why it encountered so much trouble with the BBFC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ftk.jpg (15.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg as.jpg (11.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg silt.jpg (12.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg rd.jpg (13.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 17th June 2023, 10:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Coming to America. Eddie Murphy is an African Prince who balks at an arranged marriage and heads to the US in search of true love. Arsenio Hall and James Earl Jones co-star in this fun late 80s comedy. I've seen it before, but a long time ago and it was never one of the regular rotation of favourites from that time, but I did really enjoy it. God I love 80s movies.
On a side rant, this was second choice for the evening after I made the cardinal error of deciding to finally give Ghostbusters: Afterlife a chance. I laughed more in 20 minutes of the above than 45 minutes of this. In fact by the half hour mark I was like "These people do know Ghostbusters was a comedy, right?" What I saw more resembled a supernatural teen drama with a side-order of depressing than anything resembling the original films and after 45 minutes I just couldn't take it anymore and watched the above instead.
God I love 80s movies. God I'm done with modern crap.
Old 18th June 2023, 03:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 246728

John Wick sets out to get his freedom from the table but with not many friends left who he can trust John must go back to the old rules in order to escape.

At almost 3 house I was thinking this might be a bit overly long action is great but if it's non stop it can get stale in some films and of not done right but here it's amazing every second of it. The actions sequences are long but always fresh and entertaining the film knows when a break is needed for some story telling but these breaks are small and it back into it brilliant. Visually John Wick 4 is amazingly beautiful I know this sounds strange for a film but you can't take your eyes off the screen it's just neon everywhere colour fills the scenes it's just down right gorgeous.

I don't want to get to much into it because many haven't seen it yet but just watch this film for me it's the best in the series and I loved the other.
This surprised me how good it was and great fight scenes, nice to see that autocorrect strikes other people and not just me
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 18th June 2023, 11:18 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This surprised me how good it was and great fight scenes, nice to see that autocorrect strikes other people and not just me
B*LL*x
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 18th June 2023, 01:03 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMmZiN2VmMjktZDE5OC00ZWRmLWFlMmEtYWViMTY4NjM3ZmNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI2MTc2ODM3._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

Just like John Wick I'll keep details to a minimum given how new the film is.

A recently seperated mother is struggling to make ends meet and adding to the struggle she now must find a new place to live because her apartment building is getting torn down. When an earthquake hits the kids find a hidden place underneath the building where they discover the old book of the dead this time accompanied by some sweet looking vinyl

Hilarity ensues.

Story here is really kept to a minimum with no time wasted in getting straight into the madness and the gore and by golly there is plenty of it to drool over. The make up is brilliantly creepy when people turn and it's pretty brutal at times. I had no real worried going into this I was hooked right from the first trailer was released it just gave me a good feeling straight away and it didn't leave me down.

Recommended
Old 18th June 2023, 01:12 PM
Cult Master

movieposter_en.jpg

Ghostface is back again and if you have seen any other Scream films then there's your story told five other times.

Plenty of visceral kills but matched by plenty of annoying horrendous characters and some of the dialogue made me want to stab myself in the face. There are so many rince a repeat scenes from the original and other films in the series that it gets annoying just banging on and on about the rules wears so thin even in the 6th film we are still getting the scene in the collage where they are sitting outside and the horror buff is listing the suspects it's just overkill at this point it's like watching the same film over and over again just a different ghostface. Plus the twists and reveals were shit this time around.

Great kills pretty shit film

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 18th June 2023 at 01:49 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!