Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2023, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One (2023)

I'm not going into any details because the plot is so much fun I don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say Ethan is now joined by Peggy Carter to make a nice trio of hot women on the screen!

Amazing location work which is to be expected, including a high speed chase around the streets of Rome which puts Daria Nicolodi's crazy driving around Turin in Deep Red to shame (only just!) and a climax which has to be seen to be believed.

If you've seen and enjoyed the other 6 you know exactly what you'll be getting, and I will say it's the same high quality that you've come to expect from the previous 3 films in the franchise.

Recommended.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th July 2023, 09:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Going to see this today, all being well. First time I've been to the cinema since Scream 6 in March, and that was only cause it was my birthday and I wanted to get out of the bloody house...
Old 11th July 2023, 06:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One at the cinema today. It was... okay. There were some great sequences - the extended car chase was probably the highlight - and it was fun to have Kittridge back from the first one but the story wasn't that compelling, I was pretty pissed off by one story development and bugger me it's looooooooooooooooooooooooooong. There comes a point where you're like "Okay, I'm ready for this to end now. I'd like to pee, and my dog at home would probably like to as well". Overall not bad - a major win for modern cinema - and maybe I'll like it more second time watched at home (I did Fallout... maybe I'm just over going to the cinema, I dunno) but the first film and Rogue Nation are still my favourites of the series.
Old 11th July 2023, 11:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Cottage (2008)

A comedy thriller about a kidnapping of a gangster's stepdaughter (Jennifer Ellison) by two inept crooks (Andy Serkis and Reece Shearsmith) whose plan quickly goes pear shaped when they take her to a cottage in the woods and find everything is not as it's seems.

So much fun, Ellison certainly has a way with words as the 'swear-o'meter' in the extras proves, and there's no wonder the way Shearsmith bumbles about, in fact there are several laugh out loud moments. It's when the film takes a surprising U-turn that the horror and strong gore kick in as the film suddenly becomes a backwoods slasher in the tradition of Wrong Turn (2003) and Hatchet (2006) with a few surprising shocks in store.

Despite being both anarchic and absurd The Cottage is still a fine example of a British horror comedy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cottage012208-1-.jpg (21.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th July 2023, 12:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Atomic Blonde. 2017.

A list of double agents is missing, MI6 sends a female agent to Germany during the fall of the Berlin wall to retrieve the list.

We got a hot blonde Charlize Theron explaining what went on to Toby Jones and John Goodman with her contact James McAvoy and meeting a French agent Sofia Boutella who becomes her lover. We are given decent fight scenes that are believable and well choreographed, good shoot outs and decent car chases and crashes but the plot itself is something that seems to be rushed in some parts and other bits just drag on or it just me that thinks that? Doubt I'd return to this one.
I've seen Atomic Blonde several times and think I enjoyed it more on the second viewing than the first, and subsequent viewings have been enjoyable and rewarding.

Because the plot is fairly complex and involves characters who are intent on crossing and doublecrossing each other, and perhaps an unreliable narrator, I think I was able to relax and go with the flow when I saw it the second time, whereas the first viewing involved a lot of concentration in order to keep up with the narrative, plot points, and the characters' perturbations.

It's not quite the same, but I would compare it favourably to Salt, the Phillip Noyce film that should have launched a series of spy thrillers with Angelina Jolie.
Old 11th July 2023, 02:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Substitute 4: Failure Is Not A Option. 2001.

The Late Treat Williams returns as former soldier now mercenary and goes undercover as a history teacher in a military academy where tough colonel Patrick Kilpatrick is recruiting some students for his own branch called "Werewolves" and teaching Neo-Nazism. Bill Nunn is the former soldier now gardener who seems to have a mental issue after serving and Tim Ambell as the fight instructor who seems to know more than what is going on.

This is not the best film in the franchise and at least the makers stopped, the acting is decent and Angie Everhart does get her kit off more than once, Simon Rhee who stars as the extra Werewolves colonel choreographed the fight scenes and made them look realistic but the plot itself seems to change from white supremacy to someone just creating their own squadron just for the heck of doing so, even the exploding of a building is laughable with the effects.

Substitute_4.jpg
Old 11th July 2023, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Legend

Fantasy Movie which sees Tim Curry send the world into darkness and it's up to Tom Cruise and Mia Sara to save the day. I found this to be very boring but apparently this Film flopping caused Tom Cruise to take the Top Gun role.

Small mercies.

Spy Next Door

Jackie Chan is a retired Spy who looks after his Girlfriend's unruly Children but a enemy escapes from custody and goes after them. It's a plot that we've seen before but it has it's moments especially the Villain's henchman purchasing him the most ridiculous outfits.

Crocodile Dundee II

Mick Dundee is back and this time he has to save Sue from Drug Dealers. In order to protect her, they go back to the Australian Outback. Very fun and easy to watch Sequel with some excellent humor especially him talking to a suicidal man on a ledge.

Don't get why this was rated PG though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l.jpg (13.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg snd.jpg (14.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cdII.jpg (14.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th July 2023, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Crocodile Dundee II

Mick Dundee is back and this time he has to save Sue from Drug Dealers. In order to protect her, they go back to the Australian Outback. Very fun and easy to watch Sequel with some excellent humor especially him talking to a suicidal man on a ledge.

Don't get why this was rated PG though.
I suspect you've answered that yourself. = Drug dealers and suicide references.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th July 2023, 09:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

When others have seen it, is it just me or is there a bit of a For Your Eyes Only homage in it? Cruise even has a pure Roger Moore moment there...
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 11th July 2023, 10:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I suspect you've answered that yourself. = Drug dealers and suicide references.
I meant why wasn't it a 15, the original was a 15, I believe that was mainly for swearing and the knife scenes like the sequel.

Like this? Share it using the links below!