Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2024, 10:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

LOVERS LANE - Despite claims of sass in the blurb, these post-'Scream' teens are too dumb for meta. They act like they're in a much earlier kind of film; 'Lovers Lane' was released in the late nineties, but you could almost make a case for it as a remnant of the original slasher cycle. The story and setting are boilerplate 'psycho escapes' stuff that would feel stale even way back when, and it's almost refreshing that 'Lovers Lane' makes very few attempts to redeem this basic redundancy with any sparks of cleverness. I found its imagery, tone and atmosphere a bit more interesting. When I think of late nineties slasher horror, I think of studio bright fodder full of young blabbermouths who are as slick as the camera moves, but 'Lovers Lane' is shadowy and gritty and kind of stumbles along as an odd mixture of prowling synths, hazy lighting and gags that don't work (a principal decks a student in a bowling alley - said student just giggles). Though the gore is subdued, an ickiness drifts in - one kill feels gross through sound and suggestion alone. This ickiness spills over into some of the themes when we consider the relationship of two core characters and ask ourselves why a teddy bear in someone's bedroom looks like it has genitalia. Ugh. It feels like there's a more twisted movie lurking behind the scenes of this play-safe cash-in, but at least 'Lovers Lane' mildly entertains as it runs through the numbers, all the while beguiling us with its slight strangeness.

A GUN FOR JENNIFER - An all-female gang of vigilantes dishes it out to male perps in this gritty late nineties shoestring thriller. I like the cross between down and dirty B-movie and something a bit more indie / arthouse, though this one comes down more on the side of squibs and scuzz. The locations and vibes are great, slimy neon and punk dives, and it probably takes this part more seriously than its politics - "a go-go bar run by a feminist?" Yeah exactly. There's some decent action and a smidge of splatter, but the thing that drags it down is that same old same old - too much talk. Bit tighter and it might've been a shiny underground gem, as it is it's worth a look.
Old 13th April 2024, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
This sounds great Dem. Appears to be getting a standalone release shortly too. The boxset doesn't sound recommended?
For myself as someone who loves Bogart films the set was a disappointment. Only two of the six could be classed as classics. Dead Reckoning and The Harder They Fall. Sirocco is just a cash in on Casablanca, Tokyo Joe isn't noir, it was an excuse to make the first American film in Japan following WWII, whilst Knock on Any Door was instantly forgettable. The sixth film The Family Secret doesn't even have Bogey in it. Despite that it's the third best in the set.

I've been disappointed with the quality of films on both noir box sets i've bought and won't be buying any others unless they are six films i've either seen or heard of.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 13th April 2024, 12:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Saw VI (2009)

The story continues with added resonance in recession blighted times as uncaring medical insurers and unscrupulous bankers come under the scrutiny of the Jigsaw killer.

New director Kevin Greutert expands the plot layers and some questions are answered, motives worked out and indeed mysteries solved. This is genuinely ingenious storytelling (Although utterly bewildering when not viewed as a whole with the rest of the series in my opinion) and features a finale that was knuckle whitening in it's tension.

Looking forward to Saw: The Final Chapter next Friday night.
Old 14th April 2024, 02:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm five years late but I finally watched Joaquin Phoenix in Joker. The sequel trailer caught my interest so I thought that I'd see what all the fuss had been about.

I did like it and I have seen both Taxi Driver and King of Comedy so I was fairly confident that I'd be able to properly judge it on it's own merits. I'd previously avoided it as it dealt with mental illness and I felt it would remind me of personal past struggles. It was sometimes a bit uncomfortable but I had quite a bit of respect for it. I appreciated the darker tone and that the film was kinda a celebration of things you don't want someone doing in real life.

Amazing that Warner Brothers bankrolled it and I have to appreciate that the UK's BBFC trusted the viewer enough to only give it a '15' rating. Not sure what my partner would make of this film, I suspect that she wouldn't be impressed. I'd probably award 7/10 but luckily I often keep films with that score. Phoenix gives a fine performance but I must confess that I've struggled to properly appreciate acting ever since watching the puppet film Team America.

Am looking forward to checking out the sequel (a musical I hear?).
Old 14th April 2024, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Civil War

Kirsten Dunst stars in a Film that's set during a (fictitious) Civil War in the U.S.A, this gritty Film follows a group of War Photographers on a road trip to the White House in order to interview the President. Along the way, they encounter Soldiers but for the most part, you don't know what side those people are on. This leads to tension as anything can happen at any time. This is more of an Indie Film with quick cuts instead of a mainstream Movie. It is violent in places and whilst it's entertaining, for me it's a case of now I've seen it, I don't think there will be repeat viewings.

Big Trouble In Little China

Kurt Russell is a Truck Driver who is drawn into a battle between mystical Chinese Warlords in Little China after a friend's fianc? is kidnapped. Kim Cattrell co-stars. I know that this is a favorite for people but to be honest, I thought it was a bit of a incoherent mess (Maybe I wasn't playing close attention) however the title and Video Cover brings back some early nostalgic VHS memories (Along with American Flyers and Peggy Sue Got Married)

Road House

The 1989 original that sees Patrick Swayze as the best Bouncer in the business who is hired to clean up a Bar and whilst doing so, he encounters the wrath of a local Businessman who is controlling the neighborhood. Kelly Lynch, Sam Elliott and Terry Funk (Legendary Wrestler) co-star in an entertaining effort. Will catch the remake should it get a physical release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cw.jpg (8.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg btilc.jpg (14.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rh.jpg (11.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 14th April 2024, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post

Kurt Russell is a Truck Driver who is drawn into a battle between mystical Chinese Warlords in Little China after a friend's fianc? is kidnapped. Kim Cattrell co-stars. I know that this is a favorite for people but to be honest, I thought it was a bit of a incoherent mess (Maybe I wasn't playing close attention) however the title and Video Cover brings back some early nostalgic VHS memories (Along with American Flyers and Peggy Sue Got Married)
One of John Carpenter's worst in my opinion. Of the ten feature films he'd directed by 1986 when this came out there's only Dark Star i'd rank lower and that's really only a curio as an example of what can be achieved with minimal budget.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 14th April 2024, 10:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Civil War

Kirsten Dunst stars in a Film that's set during a (fictitious) Civil War in the U.S.A, this gritty Film follows a group of War Photographers on a road trip to the White House in order to interview the President. Along the way, they encounter Soldiers but for the most part, you don't know what side those people are on. This leads to tension as anything can happen at any time. This is more of an Indie Film with quick cuts instead of a mainstream Movie. It is violent in places and whilst it's entertaining, for me it's a case of now I've seen it, I don't think there will be repeat viewings.

Road House

The 1989 original that sees Patrick Swayze as the best Bouncer in the business who is hired to clean up a Bar and whilst doing so, he encounters the wrath of a local Businessman who is controlling the neighborhood. Kelly Lynch, Sam Elliott and Terry Funk (Legendary Wrestler) co-star in an entertaining effort. Will catch the remake should it get a physical release.
Personally I enjoyed the recent Roadhouse remake with Jake Pickagenre Gyllenhaal a lot. Although I can understand any criticism its got. It's of the same ilk as the Swayze movie, silly engaging nonsense fuelled by charisma.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th April 2024, 04:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Amityville 3D in anaglyph 3D courtesy of a German blu-ray.

Switching our television to 'normal' mode instead of 'true cinema' made the 3D much more effective, before I tried that I was worried that it was a waste of money (I actually only bought it for an anaglyph copy).

My wife and I had a good time watching this. At one point around halfway through, she said it reminded her of a television film and to be fair, she probably wasn't wrong. Luckily it would have been a good tv movie.

There are a couple of pretty amusing parts. A character up against the ceiling of a falling elevator (I could well be wrong but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen) and a rather silly looking white-skinned demon that turns up towards the end, but it was still great fun.

Controversially we enjoyed this more than the original film! Sorry. Will keep on shelves. Fun watch.
Old 15th April 2024, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Natural Born Killers (1994)

Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis play Mickey and Mallory Knox, mass murderers turned into celebrities by the media and their excessive tabloid journalism.

Director Oliver Stone's black comedy is an inventive, ambitious and unrelenting semi-masterpiece which pummels the senses and stokes the intellect as it manipulates and cajoles the viewer into it's way of thinking. A cornucopia of film stocks and stylised visual excesses bombard the eyes as Trent Reznor's jukebox of carefully selected artists (Leonard Cohen, L7, Dr. Dre, Patsy Cline, Lard, NIN...) assault the ears in probably the most provocative addition to the debate of how the media stokes violence since A Clockwork Orange way back in 1971.

I'd practically guarantee Natural Born Killers influenced Rob Zombie and his film making almost a decade on. However i'd also argue that Zombie perfected the the use of film stocks and imagery as Stone's film is just too overpowering in it's first hour and any semblance of genuine story is lost in an uncontrollable barrage of sight and sound.
Old 16th April 2024, 09:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 49

Neverlake. 2014.

A young girl goes to stay with her estranged father in Italy and uncovers a dark secret with a lake and his lies.

This was drawn to me with the star cast of David Brandon who was the director in the film Stagefright and thought it may had something good going for it. Dark mystery chiller involving a lake and takes like a archaeology twist involving some children being read stories by our main actor Daisy Keeping finding out the dark secrets and house maid Joy Tanner who seems to be a compete bitch. This had potential to be something but does fizle out halfway through and picks up again towards the end with a twist that you can see coming. Not a great film but not too bad.

MV5BNmRhNDQ4NjgtNmJjNi00YjhlLTliMTctOWY2NGIyZTc5YTNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMwOTY2NTI@._V1_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!