Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I didn't damage it myself James my friend .. it was how it arrived. Not one to grumble as it was the actual disk that was more important.

Oooooh Ped, if you could find me one that would be simply dapper mate!

Old 22nd November 2010, 09:45 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
I didn't damage it myself James my friend .. it was how it arrived. Not one to grumble as it was the actual disk that was more important.

Oooooh Ped, if you could find me one that would be simply dapper mate!

didn't say you did damage it yourself!
i've had the usual dvd cases damaged a bit through the post
but sometimes the only thing i complain about it the unnecessary security stickers on top, bottom and sometimes middle
only on us and canadian dvds! completely stupid
europe, japan, australia don't
overall they are ok to peel off but sometimes there have been too sticky i've had to change my disc to a spare case
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
i've had to change my disc to a spare case
Snappers arent as easy to come by though James... I wish they were mate!
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I just watched Eduardo Sanchez's Altered. What a surprise! I thought The Blair Witch Project was a tedious confidence trick of a film and doubted that its makers had any genuine cinematic talent at all, but no, Altered is a splendid little film. Tense, compelling, blackly humourous, a fntastic addition to the malevolent alien, SF/horror subgenre. As good a film in this field as Signs was bad!
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched Toy Story 3, absolutely stunning film from start to finish, best animated film of the year followed by Ponyo and How To Train Your Dragon.
It was laugh out loud funny, heartfelt and slightly depressing too. Pixar won't ever be beaten at the game they invented.
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:45 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I just watched Eduardo Sanchez's Altered. What a surprise! I thought The Blair Witch Project was a tedious confidence trick of a film and doubted that its makers had any genuine cinematic talent at all, but no, Altered is a splendid little film. Tense, compelling, blackly humourous, a fntastic addition to the malevolent alien, SF/horror subgenre. As good a film in this field as Signs was bad!
haven't seen altered
as regards to blair witch project - you're right
it was tedious and in my opinion overrated crap

saw society last night - yuzna's best
Old 23rd November 2010, 09:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just finished watching Storm Warning - I didn't expect any surprises and didn't get any. It's a fairly standard 'hick family stalk lost yuppies' scenario but what slightly set this apart are some nice shots of the Australian countryside near the beginning and some pretty extreme gore towards the end. Worth a watch!
Old 24th November 2010, 08:09 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Went to the cinema to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 at the cinema yesterday and was a little bored as it basically spends 140 minutes saying 'something bad is going to happen', 'a great evil is rising', 'Harry Potter is in grave danger' and then the end credits roll. Not particularly impressed.

The only Harry Potter film I've seen more than once is the third one (which I've seen twice) and have never read one of the books so I really didn't have a clue what was going on other than what the characters actually said and this will mean that those who are more au fait with all things Potter will take a great more from the film and I did.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:15 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm a massive fan of the Harry Potter books but have never been too enamoured of the films simply because they're not very good adaptations. I think for a film of a book to work, it needs to be just as easy to watch for those who haven't read the original source material as those who have and unfortunately, most of the HP films only seem to be decipherable to those who have read at least some of the books.

I haven't really seen the point of splitting the last book in two (apart from that it'll make Warner Bros. more money!). The first half of the last book is just Harry, Ron and Hermione sitting in a tent talking and occasionally having a fight. It makes for great reading but I can't imagine it translating well on to film. If it were down to me, I would have shortened that section into a bit of a montage sequence and made the second half of the novel the bulk of the film. Hell, they've already missed so much out that the films barely make sense... Why stop now?
Old 24th November 2010, 08:24 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As far as I'm concerned, the only Harry Potter film that actually worked as a stand-alone film and appealed to non-HP fans was Azkhaban as it has a director who knows what to do in the fantasy genre (Alfonso Cuarón). As that was the case it seems as if they were really aiming for those who are familiar with the books by getting Chris Columbus to direct the first two.

Had they chosen someone like Guillermo del Toro to do the first two, Alfonso Cuarón to do the second two and Terry Gilliam to do the rest, the films would have been even better, darker and more likely to appeal to those who like fantasy movies and not just Harry Potter fans.

Like this? Share it using the links below!