Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180766Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2024, 09:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Mississippi Burning

Outstanding Film based on the True Story of F.B.I. Agents played by Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe travel down to Mississippi to investigate the disappearance of 3 Civil Rights Activists in 1964. There they encounter Racism and The KKK. Both Hackman (As the gruff no nonsense Detective) and Dafoe (As the man in charge) At over 2 hours it's breezes by as it is very enthralling. Best bit was when they decide to fight the Racists at their own game which includes intimidation (Of the Mayor) and by Tobin Bell playing the F.B.I. Agent brought in to intimidate the suspects. Definitely a recommendation if you haven't seen it yet.

Bikeriders

Story told by the Girlfriend of one of the members of a Biker Gang in the 60's. Tom Hardy, Austin Butler and Jodie Comer star in a film that promised so much but delivered so little. I heard it was a cross between Good Fellas and Sons Of Anarchy but I didn't see it, definitely not as violent. Maybe I wasn't really in the mood but I was very disappointed.

Commando

Don't think I need to go into the plot but this is one of those perfect put on during a hot night type of Films. Completely ludicrous but thoroughly entertaining with Arnold Schwarzenegger delivering the goods with Vernon Wells with the Freddie Mercury look (Not sure if it was intentional) and a scrawny weasely type bady guy who you want to see get his.

As this was the Blu-Ray, I watched the Directors Cut with some scenes that might have been problematic back in it's initial release.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mb.jpg (14.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (6.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg c.jpg (15.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 24th June 2024, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Incredible Melting Man (1977)

A sci-fi / horror film that plays out in a fun slasher style even if the story of an astronaut who returns to Earth with decomposing flesh and a taste for human meat is more like a classic fifties B-picture in the vein of 1959's First Man Into Space.

The star of the show is special effects maestro Rick Baker. His work is magnificently gory as the astronaut's face gradually melts throughout the film. The make up is gloriously gloopy and thankfully the slimy putrefying FX are there for all to enjoy. Quite stunning really.

Last night was only my second watch of this classic shocker and once again i really enjoyed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeltingMan.jpg (66.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 25th June 2024, 09:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Die Hard With A Vengeance. 1995.

Bruce Willis returns as the white vest wearing detective with a hangover John McClane, this time a bomber is in New York threatening to blow up areas if McClane and his new friend Samuel L. Jackson don't play a game of Simon says.

This one i had a big time getting into when it first came out and watched it a few times, but now it's more fast paced than the previous instalments and not set at Christmas. Jeremy Irons plays the mad bomber Simon who turns out to be Hans Gruber's brother playing a game of cat and mouse with McClane so he can steal a ton of gold. Willis and Jackson together is like a bad duo cop scenario that gives us the laughs and McClane does make a great exit from a sewer drain that still gives out the laughs. There is some good tense moments in the film with the subway train and a bomb on board and Charlie trying to defuse a bigger bomb in a school.

6042fa25-f5b1-475f-853e-2495cea73676.jpeg
Old 26th June 2024, 08:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Penda's Fen (1974)

I watched this for the second time last night. I don't think i was quite in the mood for it as it bored me silly and my overriding view as it finished was "What a load of pretentious toss".

However i know i loved it first time round so here is the review from my first viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Penda's Fen (1974)

Centering around the adolescence of a boy named Stephen as he approaches his 18th birthday, Penda's Fen is a wonderful exploration of growing up, English tradition, art, sexuality, and loads of other things all to the magnificence of England's greatest composer, Sir Edward Elgar.

Directed by Alan Clarke and written by David Rudkin, this is a quite enthralling television film full of weirdness, quite a bit of which i didn't fully understand on first viewing. It's subject matter is controversial and i can appreciate why it is largely unknown but loved by those who have seen it.

Penda's Fen appears at first glance to be a host of unrelated vignettes as a boy turns into an adult and as such could almost be dipped in and out of, but it's the merging of pagan tradition and old England which grabbed me with it's stunning imagery such as the angel and King Penda on the hill, however none are as visually stimulating as the winged gargoyle perched on Stephen's bed one night. Admittedly, it's a sequence poached directly from Fuseli's The Nightmare painting but it's memorable and so highly effective as to be the highlight of this drama.

Penda's Fen isn't all po-faced metaphysical ambiguity. Some scenes are laugh out loud funny. Witness Stephen discovering a man erecting a road closure sign with a miss spelling of Pinvin. (Penda's Fen was the place name originally but the name morphed over the centuries into Pinvin).

Odd, obscure, occasionally unfathomable, yet riveting throughout. Penda's Fen is one i'll be coming back to make no mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-269209.jpg (41.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th June 2024, 09:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Passenger 57

Wesley Snipes is a Security Expert who happens to be on the same plane as a notorious Terrorist (Played by Bruce Payne) after the Plane is taken over, Snipes has to save the day. Fine, Fun and short Movie, which after being at work, fits the bill.

When I watched many times beforehand, I thought that Bruce Payne excelled as the twisted villain but after seeing it yesterday, even though he's still really good, he comes across as a Alan Rickman clone (By then I believe that Alan Rickman stated that he didn't want to do bad guy roles anymore) mixed with Jullian Sands.

Remember Charles Rane is not insane

Class Of 1984

Classic storyline of a School being over run by troublesome Students and the harassed Teacher striking back. This was enthralling with Perry King playing his role really well with Timothy Van Patten really playing his role well as the gang leader who you want to get his comeuppance along with his associates in gruesome ways. Roddy McDowell and a younger Michael J Fox appear also.

It's official (Or spiritual) sequel, Class Of 1999 is even better.

Avenging Force

Michael Dudikoff is a ex-Special Forces operative who saves his friend played by Steve James from a Assassination attempt. Because of that, a Right Ring Terrorist group kidnap his Sister and force him to be the prey in a manhunt.

Not seen this before and I kept on looking at it in my collection but kept on going with Films I knew (It's been hot recently) and I really enjoyed it. John P Ryan plays the crazed lunatic really well. Definitely a Film that's in my it's hot and I want a really enjoyable film that's a no-brainer rotation now. Oh does Steve James die in most of the films in which he's a co-star.

First Power

Lou Diamond Phillips plays a Detective who teams up with a Psychic after a notorious Serial Killer is able to transfer his soul into other people after he is Executed. Remember this being a good Rental back in the day and it holds up, depends on your tolerance for the supernatural elements in your slasher movies. Jeff Kober (You may recognize his face) plays the killer.

New Jack City

Wesley Snipes plays a Drug Kingpin, Cops, Ice T, Judd Nelson and Mario Van Peeples are the Cops determined to bring him down. One of my favorite Movies, it's very well acted and completely enjoyable. Wesley Snipes certainly made some really good Films in the early 90's

Should have won major awards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p57.jpg (13.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg co1984.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg af.jpg (14.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fp.jpg (14.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg njc.jpg (14.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th June 2024, 09:25 PM
Cult Veteran

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

I watched it (Penda's Fen) three times now and I've loved it every time. I don't think I'd watch it on a hot stuffy night though, that might have been the problem.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Last edited by Justin101; 26th June 2024 at 09:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Ritual (2017)

Excellent creeping round the woods film that sees Rafe Spall, Downton's Robert James-Collier, and two mates lost on a Swedish hiking holiday as a menacing presence begins stalking them.

Creepy and unsettling, i was straining my eyes along with Spall as he peered into the dimly lit woods. Director David Bruckner (The Signal, Southbound, Hellraiser) builds the film slowly allowing it's characters to grow, meaning by the time the horror kicks in you really care for them which is how horror should be - believable and scary and thankfully this isn't a found footage shaky cam movie either.

Although largely gore free, the film slowly develops a sense of creeping dread with dead deer splayed apart in the trees and signs of ritualism and witchcraft. Whilst the denouement when we get to see what exactly is hunting them (Superb creature design) and what the ritual actually comprises is nicely horrible and shocking.

I really enjoyed this and even on a third watch it retains it's power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheRitual_Quad.jpg (96.6 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Ritual (2017)

Excellent creeping round the woods film that sees Rafe Spall, Downton's Robert James-Collier, and two mates lost on a Swedish hiking holiday as a menacing presence begins stalking them.

Creepy and unsettling, i was straining my eyes along with Spall as he peered into the dimly lit woods. Director David Bruckner (The Signal, Southbound, Hellraiser) builds the film slowly allowing it's characters to grow, meaning by the time the horror kicks in you really care for them which is how horror should be - believable and scary and thankfully this isn't a found footage shaky cam movie either.

Although largely gore free, the film slowly develops a sense of creeping dread with dead deer splayed apart in the trees and signs of ritualism and witchcraft. Whilst the denouement when we get to see what exactly is hunting them (Superb creature design) and what the ritual actually comprises is nicely horrible and shocking.

I really enjoyed this and even on a third watch it retains it's power.
Keep meaning to pick this up, and then thinking I'll wait for a blu, which I can get in a sale, unless Secong Sight don't snap it up and release an exclusive 4K only set at fifty quid.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Leon: The Professional (1994)

French director Luc Besson followed hos hit-girl and breakout film Nikita with a move to the US and this hit-man film starring Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman.

The film follows emotionally stunted (If that's the correct description) hit-man Leon (Reno) and his relationship with his 12 year old neighbour Mathilda who becomes an orphan following a massacre of her family by corrupt DEA official Oldman.

As Leon comes to terms with having to protect and worst of all be friends with the girl he also begins to teach her the tricks of his trade so she can administer revenge on the Oldman, who if i'm being honest is a bit weird.

Besson's direction is terrific, he gradually allows Leon's constructed to the letter life fall apart at the hands of this girl and their relationship is beautifully played out without coming across the least bit salacious. However it's the brilliantly stylish and brutal, not to mention suspenseful, set pieces that propel Leon into classic status.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leon-poster.jpg (18.0 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!