All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181656Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2024, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Deepwater Horizon (2016)

I've reviewed this previously (See quote). It's a terrific and extremely tense film and as with 2012's The Impossible goes to show that the best disaster films of the 21st century are based on real life happenings and not something dreamed up by film studios.

Watching for the first time on Blu-ray...That Dolby Atmos sound. Jesus Christ!!!

Quote:
A dramatization of the April 2010 disaster, when the offshore drilling rig Deepwater Horizon exploded and created the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Playing almost like a docudrama, the film focuses on Mark Wahlberg's Chief Electronics Technician Mike Williams character as he says goodbye to his wife (Kate Hudson) and young daughter as he sets off for a 21 day stint on the offshore BP oil rig Deepwater Horizon. Once aboard the rig he meets up with rig supervisor Jimmy Harrell (Kurt Russell) and the BP managers, including John Malkovich. From here on it feels as if the viewer is simply listening in on conversations and meetings. We aren't told any exposition to propel the story along, it's happening right there as we watch. The BP company are weeks behind in their schedule and aren't listening to the rig crew when it comes to safety and testing. We aren't privy to a 101 in how a drilling test works, we either begin to process what is happening or we don't.

Trust me when i say although nothing explosive happens until the half way point it's still an interesting and highly informative ride, then come the fifty minute mark, shit really does blow up and we are thrust kicking and screaming (think mainly screaming) into perhaps the most intense disaster movie yet made. It's as gripping as any action thriller i can recall but the difference is that this actually happened and come the end i felt like i'd been thrown head first through the emotional wringer. 11 people were killed on the Deepwater Horizon as the fire raged for two days. Oil continued to pour for 87 further days destroying the seas of the Louisiana coastline and Gulf of Mexico.

Whilst the facts are on screen in front of you, i'll leave it to each individual to make up their own minds as to why this happened and if it could have been avoided.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeepwaterHorizonPoster.jpg (97.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th July 2024, 11:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Longlegs

A female FBI Agent investigates several murders involving families, she has a connection due to encountering a Devil Worshipping Nicholas Cage when she was younger. This was definitely the Nicholas Cage show, after looking the part, he was given full license to go fully deranged.

Anyway the Trailer gives the impression that it's a weird type of Horror Film, while there is some strangeness, it can be followed without racking your brain to understand it. There's some scenes of violence in a Film which falls into the I didn't love it nor did I dislike it, it's just one of those films.

Ong Bak

When a valuable statue is stolen from a Thai Village, Tony Jaa is sent to Bangkok to retrieve it. When arriving he meets up with a former villager and ends up battling the leading gangster. This is a really entertaining Film with some incredible fight scenes as well thrilling foot chases.

This needs a Blu-Ray release and/or box set. Perfect for 88 or Eureka.

Peacemaker

Russian Nukes are stolen and are heading for the U.S. so it's up to George Clooney and Nicole Kidman to prevent disaster. I remember buying the VHS back in 98 and watched it quite a few times, found the DVD recently and realized that I only remembered very little about it and it was still rather entertaining with George Clooney doing what he does best in the 90's
I went see longlegs for some reason I just couldn't get into it, no idea why.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th July 2024, 07:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

dead.jpg

Deadpool plucks Wolverine out of a timeline and together they try to save Deadpool's world from being wiped away..

Marvel take one on the chin and allow jokes about them, Fox and Disney in this final (?) outing for Deadpool.
Lots of cameos from the previous Fox Marvel films that have been dumped and forgotten, get to fight again along side Deadpool and Wolverine.
This was great fun and it was good seeing the old Marvel heroes and villains again.
Wolverine looks excellent, especially in scenes at the end.

If there are to be no more Deadpool films, then this is a great way to go out.
Old 25th July 2024, 07:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

If it opens well Disney will green light three more in a fortnight.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th July 2024, 07:37 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If it opens well Disney will green light three more in a fortnight.
...And a television series !
nicholasrope likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th July 2024, 07:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

They do joke that Disney will be using Wolverine until is is 90 !
Old 25th July 2024, 07:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
They do joke that Disney will be using Wolverine until is is 90 !
Arguably their most loved superhero thanks to Jackman's charismatic performance. He's like their Han Solo... but not in his mid 80's.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 25th July 2024, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What? (1972)

...the hell have i just watched... for a second time?

For every great film Polanski made he came up with some unutterable shite as well. What? treads somewhere in between on an absurd unfunny path to oblivion.

Still at least with Severin's Blu-ray both the Italian coast line and Sydne Rome look even more gorgeous than ever before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg what.jpg (95.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th July 2024, 09:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movies 95

Jagged Edge. 1985.

News paper editor Jeff Bridges is accused of killing his rich wife in their beach house. He is assigned by councillor James Karen a top defender Glenn Close who will clear his name and fight with District Attorney Peter Coyote. So a man is accused of killing, rich wife and everyone points the finger at the husband with the obvious answer as to why, money, bereaved hubby starts up a relationship with his defender who still has doubts about the innocent or guilty part. Previous trial resulted in a death of someone both defender and D.A. were involved with the case and trial and ensues good tense moments. This was actually decent with a good cast involving Robert Loggia, Lance Henriksen popping up at the start with never a dull moment in sight and fairly decent twist.

wHYjo3NLc293ZEXVSGhRIUr3Iqi.jpg
Old 27th July 2024, 11:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HAUNTEDWEEN - A few years before it all changed with the advent of 'Scream' and a new generation of sassy but lightweight teen slashers, the guy in the mask with the sharp implement was still knocking them off like it was 1982. 'Hauntedween', from 1990, gets a lot of love, though maybe the kind afforded to the evolutionary stragglers of a soon-to-be-extinct species. All the usual elements are present sans irony, including a bunch of rowdy college kids who just want to party in that deserted house with the f*cked up backstory - it's Halloween, that's why! It plays like someone's rounded up the cast-offs from a dozen frat house comedies and tacked on some gore at the end. That's OK, it doesn't lack period charm, but it misses the kind of inspired incompetence that lit up some other late party slashers such as 'Night Screams'.

STOPMOTION - Robert Morgan is known for his horror animation. His movie debut features 'The Nightingale's Aisling Franciosca as Ella, an animator who struggles with her controlling mum and boyfriend; when her mother's health crumbles, Ella's project takes on a macabre life of its own. Anyone familiar with the director will be unsurprised to find that he weaves in the kind of grotesque imagery more central to his previous work, but 'Stopmotion' doesn't want to be 'Mad God', opting instead for less clay and more character. If the 'Repulsion'-like scenario - isolated female protagonist withdraws from reality and passes into what seems like the hinterland of her own madness - is a horror mainstay, it works well here by virtue of 'Stopmotion's relentless claustrophobia; everyone's just a bit of an arsehole, even the lead, meaning there are no psychological footholds, no-one to root for, nothing to open up any room between the walls of toxicity. It adds up to quite a pungent atmosphere if you go along with it. The mix of model work and live action is deftly handled, and the whole thing looks the part, with a refined palette and visual style that makes the most of 'Stopmotion's dingy interiors and bursts of gore. I kind of wanted to be a bit more wowed than I was, but I thought it was solid.

Like this? Share it using the links below!